STrib: Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino never lost faith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Two days after Villanova won the national title over North Carolina on an unforgettable buzzer-beater last spring, Richard Pitino sat in his office wondering what to say. Frustrated Gophers basketball fans wanted him fired. Faithful supporters wondered about his program’s direction, after an abysmal 8-23 season, worst in school history.

So he wrote a blog.

It was his first in six months; his most recent post had been on Amir Coffey signing that November. In the coach’s new blog, Coffey went from subject to target audience. Pitino wrote of his vision for the 2016-17 season, trying to convince his soon-to-be freshman and everyone else reading online that this season would be different.

“We are a lot closer than people think,” Pitino wrote on April 6, 2016. “We will break through very soon … It was just a few years ago Villanova endured a tough season, and look at them now.”

Imagine social media’s reaction to that line. Did Pitino mean his rock-bottom program would be competing for a national title in a few years?

Pitino just wanted people to think big.

“I said going into the season I thought it was going to be a huge turnaround, much like Villanova had,” Pitino said, smiling behind his desk Tuesday. “I believed that.”

Yet nobody expected a turnaround like this — not even the bold blogger himself.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-men-s-basketball-coach-richard-pitino-never-lost-faith/415833214/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom