STrib: Gophers' McBrayer knows about being pushed to improve

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

McBrayer began the year as a reserve guard who wasn’t afraid to take shots — but rarely made them. In his first 14 games, he went a stunning 3-for-27 (11.1 percent) from three-point range. Coach Richard Pitino took every chance he got to gush about the talent he knew lived within McBrayer, even as he struggled.

At the same time, the Gophers were mired in a historically bad 14-game losing streak. On Saturday, McBrayer admitted the team sank to a “low.”

“It was hard for me at first,” he said. “I wasn’t grasping the speed.”

When he felt the worst, he’d pick up the phone and call his mother.

“Stick with it,” she’d tell him. “I didn’t raise you to be a quitter.”

Pitino has lauded McBrayer’s unwavering drive. At the end of blowouts, McBrayer has often been the one leading the charge. When he’s elbowed or jabbed, he bounces back. He gets that from the assistant warden, who loved as hard as she protected.

“She’s the toughest person,” McBrayer said. “Tough as nails, probably. I think she gave me a little bit of that.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-mcbrayer-knows-about-being-pushed-to-improve/370394551/

Go Gophers!!

Can never have enough mentally tough kids.

Who knows how good Dupree will end up being. He's shown promise at times, but its been an awful year and the expectation is low. But if a kid is mentally tough and willing to put in the work, he's got a shot.

Sweet article. When a young man loves and respects the efforts made by his mom, and wants to live up to her expectations, its a good thing.

Top Bottom