STrib: Gophers football trying no-huddle offense in its infancy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

After holding two spring football practices behind closed doors, the Gophers invited the public Saturday and revealed a no-huddle offense that is currently in the experimental phase.

Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover described this as the “infant stages” of a project designed to give the team another strategic option it can switch to on the fly. He said the goal is to familiarize the players with the no-huddle approach, so they can work on it through the summer in player-led practice sessions led by quarterbacks Mitch Leidner and Chris Streveler.

“If we can get the foundation in, then, when we head into the season, it’s up to us how much we can use or not use,” Limegrover said.

After each play Saturday, players hustled back to the line and looked to the sideline for signals, each wearing a wrist band that listed the signals and corresponding plays. When they used the pistol formation, the quarterbacks clapped before the ball was hiked, a technique used across the country.

“Don’t think of the no-huddle as [the spread offense],” Limegrover said, noting that the quarterbacks still got under center at times, with two running backs behind them in a power scheme.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295491291.html

Go Gophers!!

I am totally shocked if this is the first time they really have practiced no- huddle. I would think they are opportunities in every game at the end of either half you may need to use no huddle. Are they saying there is a difference between a no-huddle offense and a two-minute offense?

I am totally shocked if this is the first time they really have practiced no- huddle. I would think they are opportunities in every game at the end of either half you may need to use no huddle. Are they saying there is a difference between a no-huddle offense and a two-minute offense?

There is no difference other than the strategic use to TOs and spikes. Dumb, dumb, dumb (did I say 'dumb'?) article by a good, smart reporter. I'm sure his editor pushed it on him and felt it was thought provoking. It is, but in the wrong way.

I think there are a couple things going on here. Number one, Kill is very good friends with the TCU coach...they shared the same philosophy in how they coached offense until last year. TCU goes no huddle for the first time last year and returns to national title contention talk. Jerry is not stupid. Minnesota is exploring the same possibilities for itself offensively. But maybe more important or equally important depending how it goes is familiarity with the pace defensively. They are preparing for game one in spring practice...TCU.
If the first time the defense experiences that pace is in a game, you have not prepared your team to it's best opportunity to win...specifically game one TCU.
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/82719/tcu-hopes-new-offense-levels-playing-field

There is no difference other than the strategic use to TOs and spikes. Dumb, dumb, dumb (did I say 'dumb'?) article by a good, smart reporter. I'm sure his editor pushed it on him and felt it was thought provoking. It is, but in the wrong way.

Actually there is a definite difference between a 2 minute offense and a no huddle offense. In a 2 minute offense you are typically calling multiple plays in the huddle, spiking the ball to stop the clock or calling timeouts as you mentioned. There is very little interaction from the sideline as the emphasis is on running to the line and getting off a play.

In the no huddle offenses of today the traditional huddle is replaced by going to the line of scrimmage and then having the play signaled in from the sideline. Puts pressure on the defense to get lined up but depending on how it is run it is not always a speed offense the way the 2 minute drill is.

I would be surprised to find out the coaches are trying to install the lightning quick version of the no huddle like what TCU and Oregon are doing, rather I can see them adding elements of the much more deliberate no huddle that gives you the ability to change the tempo but typically is still run with a decent amount of time between snaps.

Running a play without huddling first!?!?

Limegrover, you are a visionary!

Propaganda from Limegrover. Make teams think we can. Brilliant. :cool02:

Top Bottom