STrib: Gophers football recruit Riley Sunram has memorable run in state title game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per STrib:

How good of a day was last Friday for Riley Sunram? Even when he missed a block, he ended up on the good side of a highlight reel.

Sunram is a senior two-way lineman for Kindred (N.D.) High School who has verbally committed to the Gophers. On Friday, he and his Vikings teammates were playing Dickinson Trinity in the North Dakota Class A championship game in the Fargodome.

On a trap play, the 6-4, 295-pound Sunram missed his original assignment. "I pulled left, and the guy came off hot and I missed him," he said. "I was behind our quarterback [Jake Starcevic], and he was going down and pitched it to me. It wasn't planned at all."

Sunram rambled for 19 yards on his first career rushing attempt, one of several moments he'll remember from the Vikings' 36-7 victory that secured their second state championship in three years.

"It's awesome. I'm just amazed," Sunram said of Kindred's 12-0 season. "This year was so fun that I'm at a loss of words to say just how fun it was. That's what we all wanted this year — to go out with a win and go undefeated."

A four-star recruit, Sunram will be a defensive lineman with the Gophers. He's the top-ranked recruit from North Dakota and the 73rd-ranked defensive lineman nationally in the 2024 recruiting class, according to the 247Sports composite ratings of major recruiting services.

Go Gophers!!

Things you can do in North Dakota class A …

Top Bottom