STrib: Gophers fans always worry about coaches leaving, but they rarely go

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

We could blame Lou Holtz for this, since his departure from the Gophers to Notre Dame in 1985 seems to have triggered this obsession.

Or we could blame ourselves since it’s been THREE DECADES since that happened and it’s only happened with one other high-profile Gophers coach: Brenda Frese, who bolted the U women’s basketball job and took a gig in Maryland. (In defense of Holtz and Frese, both won national championships at their new schools).

Everything else has been a waste of energy. So much energy. Remember …

Dan Monson: At the same time Frese left the Gophers in 2002, Monson looked poised to take the head job at Washington. He ended up staying, issuing a statement that read in part: “I’m here. I’m not going anywhere. We have unfinished work to do and I’m excited about the future of this program.”

Tubby Smith: Like Mason, Smith seemed to be mentioned in every rumor. It didn’t help that he said things like this in 2009 when asked if he was going to be Minnesota’s coach the next season. “I never say never, but I’m here. … So I just say, at this time, I’m very happy here.”

Richard Pitino: Rumors that the basketball coach might leave for Alabama are part of the reason Pitino landed a new contract at Minnesota. Were they legit? His father, Rick, said they were on the Jim Rome Show: “Richard was seriously considering making that move,” Rick Pitino said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...coaches-leaving-but-they-rarely-go/410153335/

Go Gophers!!

Hard to parlay success at Minnesota into loftier places.....if you don't have success at Minnesota.

Top Bottom