STrib: Gophers fans always worry about coaches leaving, but they rarely go

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

Yes, the fretting has already begun when it comes to Fleck, and it’s silly. It’s not that it couldn’t happen — which is why our insecure imaginations run wild — but for all the worrying history tells us that it rarely actually has happened here.

We could blame Lou Holtz for this, since his departure from the Gophers to Notre Dame in 1985 seems to have triggered this obsession.

Or we could blame ourselves since it’s been THREE DECADES since that happened and it’s only happened with one other high-profile Gophers coach: Brenda Frese, who bolted the U women’s basketball job and took a gig in Maryland. (In defense of Holtz and Frese, both won national championships at their new schools).

Everything else has been a waste of energy. So much energy.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...coaches-leaving-but-they-rarely-go/410153335/

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. If he elevates Gophs to the level of Wisconsin, which I expect, he's here for a long time unless he really screws up somehow.

I blame it on the media.
They're lazy and don't bother covering the details of the sport like they do in most other markets.
If a team in this town is winning they just focus on "what are the (team) going to have to do to keep (most recognizable figure)?"
If the team is losing they focus on "when are the (team) going to fire (or bench) (most recognizable figure)?

I love that the SI writer on with Dan B dismissed mentioning Fleck alongside Brewster "a lazy comparison". This episode was one of those where the local sports media weighed-in first on the hire, and then the national sports media came-in and have pretty much dismissed (and crapped all over) most of their opinions on the matter.

If he were to leave the U of M, it would probably be to a a bigger program in the SEC or PAC 12, possibly a Big 12 or NFL job. Most importantly, if he were to leave on his own after 2 or 3 years, it would mean he was very successful at Minnesota. I think he has a pretty good job right now being able to play in the Big Ten and not have to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Michigan State each year. He will be in the upper half of the Big Ten in compensation and assistant coaches salaries. As long as you can beat teams like Nebraska, Wisconsin and Iowa, then you have a pretty good shot at the Big Ten Championship game. Problem is, not many coaches have been able to beat Wisconsin in the last 20 years. Only time will tell, but that is the price that comes with success. Ferentz didn't leave Iowa and Alvarez didn't leave Wisconsin so there is some hope that he and his wife might enjoy Minneapolis and make their long-term home here. Minneapolis is one of the most elite Big Ten cities out there.

per Rand Ball:

Yes, the fretting has already begun when it comes to Fleck, and it’s silly. It’s not that it couldn’t happen — which is why our insecure imaginations run wild — but for all the worrying history tells us that it rarely actually has happened here.

We could blame Lou Holtz for this, since his departure from the Gophers to Notre Dame in 1985 seems to have triggered this obsession.

Or we could blame ourselves since it’s been THREE DECADES since that happened and it’s only happened with one other high-profile Gophers coach: Brenda Frese, who bolted the U women’s basketball job and took a gig in Maryland. (In defense of Holtz and Frese, both won national championships at their new schools).

Everything else has been a waste of energy. So much energy.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...coaches-leaving-but-they-rarely-go/410153335/

Go Gophers!!

That's confusing? All the silly worrying is just because of the weasel Holtz?

30 years ago was the last time a successful Gopher Head Coach tried to leave?

That means that Glen Mason tried to get the OSU job in 1987 rather than 2001?

That doesn't seem right. ;)

A lot of buzz around the AFCA that PJ Fleck has targeted Ohio State OC Ed Warinner for same role at Minnesota.

Tweet From football scoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true. We've got a lot of Minnesota insecurities tied to this fan base and some of it straight up aren't things.

PJ's whole energy and enthusiasm will inevitably be criticized for all sorts of reasons, but the real reason will be that we don't like loud people who draw attention to themselves.

I am worried that we don't lose coaches to NDSU. Those pesky Fighting Hawks are all the rage.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom