STrib: Gophers defense not bending as much as they're just breaking

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Minnesota and Missouri tied for first in the nation last season with the fewest plays of 20-plus yards allowed (36).

This year, through four games, the Gophers have allowed 22 such plays, ranking 76th in the nation.

“Sometimes it’s a mistake,” coach Tracy Claeys said. “Sometimes you just get out-athleted. And sometimes it’s not playing very smart. And then you throw in the fact it’s not always the same person. It’s somebody different every time.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-defense-not-bending-as-much-as-they-re-just-breaking/396099381/

Go Gophers!!

Sometimes you have different DC?

I do wonder how much that has to do with it. You would think with the problems the D is having Claeys would be making changes if there was something he could do to improve it. Since that hasn't happened now through 4 games I think its more the personnel than the coordinator. Hopefully when we get the DBs back we'll see an improvement.

I do wonder how much that has to do with it. You would think with the problems the D is having Claeys would be making changes if there was something he could do to improve it. Since that hasn't happened now through 4 games I think its more the personnel than the coordinator. Hopefully when we get the DBs back we'll see an improvement.

I bet that TC has pretty much ceded control to Sawvel, much as Jerry left him alone to run the D and is hesitant to interfere.

He could learn from Zimmer how to teach

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Shouldnt be getting out athleted at this point at all. Kill and co. Made it a point to get more speed and athleticism with their recruiting so this shouldnt even be a reason.

It is not different guy every time. Sometimes it is guys trying to understand where they should be in multiple defenses, and sometimes it is playing a bunch of freshmen.
I do think they improved last week, but we have a big hole at Safety and asking a freshman to start there is real tough to do well..

Shouldnt be getting out athleted at this point at all. Kill and co. Made it a point to get more speed and athleticism with their recruiting so this shouldnt even be a reason.

They lost 3 NFLers off last year's team. One of those was a CB that was left on an island on virtually every play allowing the D to cover everything else without having to help. Tough to replace that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They lost 3 NFLers off last year's team. One of those was a CB that was left on an island on virtually every play allowing the D to cover everything else without having to help. Tough to replace that.

3 late round or undrafted players. Not incredibly difficult to replace if you are true to your recruiting and finding speed and athleticism.

3 late round or undrafted players. <b>Not incredibly difficult to replace if you are true to your recruiting and finding speed and athleticism.</b>

3 players who are now playing on Sunday. The bolded part makes me think you have been a Gopher Fan for about 10 minutes.
Not difficult? I find your ignorance refreshing.

3 players who are now playing on Sunday. The bolded part makes me think you have been a Gopher Fan for about 10 minutes.
Not difficult? I find your ignorance refreshing.

Just because i don't think they were that difficult to replace because they target athletic and fast guys when they recruit doesnt give you any indication how long i have been a fan. I suggest that if you want to call anyone that disagrees with you names you either grow up or find a new hobby.

Just because i don't think they were that difficult to replace because they target athletic and fast guys when they recruit doesnt give you any indication how long i have been a fan. I suggest that if you want to call anyone that disagrees with you names you either grow up or find a new hobby.

Actually, thinking that replacing 3 NFLers - all on the defensive side of the ball - in one year is "not that difficult" gives a very good indication how long you have followed this team. That or you haven't been paying attention. You can puff your chest all you want, but that view is both naive and telling.

Actually, thinking that replacing 3 NFLers - all on the defensive side of the ball - in one year is "not that difficult" gives a very good indication how long you have followed this team. That or you haven't been paying attention. You can puff your chest all you want, but that view is both naive and telling.

Puffing your chest is what you are doing. The fact is they have recruited athletic guys so getting out athleted is an excuse. Poor form on your part to call into question how long someone has been a fan. Thats just plain weak. Grow up.

Top Bottom