STrib: Gophers D-coordinator Robb Smith says he's excited about team's talent

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

On how the talent at Minnesota meshes with his goals:

"It’s exciting. Our ultimate goal is we’re going to get the best 11 guys on the football field to match the 11 players who are out there for our opponents. Whether it’s three linebackers, whether it’s four linebackers, we have certain things we want to do within the structure of our defense. For us, it’s all about stopping the run, eliminating big plays and creating takeaways, and we’re going to get the best 11 guys out there. I think there’s a lot of talent in this program. We’ve got to keep growing but very excited about the players we have."

On who's standing out at linebacker:

"I’ll tell you what, Jon Celestin’s a guy. We have a saying here: 'Leadership leads.' He’s a guy who’s taken the bull by the horns. He’s embraced the culture. The guys have an utmost amount of respect for him, off field, and that’s carried on the field. And really pleased with what he’s brought to our meeting room."

Comparing previous boss, Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, to Fleck:

"I think they’re both elite football coaches. There’s a lot of different ways to skin a cat. I really enjoy being around P.J., being around the energy he brings every day, I think he does a fantastic job of pushing our guys in all areas of their life. They’re both excellent football coaches, and I’m happy to be a Minnesota Gopher."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-he-s-excited-about-team-s-talent/418652343/

Go Gophers!!

Nice four deep at DT:
Richardson AllBig Senior anchoring things up front.
Stelter four year veteran; bleeds Maroon and Gold up front.
Merrick Stelter fifth year guy, big run stopper, maybe better motivated up front.
Gary Moore fourth year junior, coming on well up front.
Juco All American Royal Silver joining in June.
Purdue flip Malcolm Robinson, WMU flip Hickcox, Iowa sleeper Schirck join in June.
By all accounts a great dline coach.

Nice 3 deep at LB:
Celestin a 4th year player buying in big time, leading defense, looking great.
Kamal Martin looking fantastic by all accounts.
Barber also getting big reviews.
Poock, 5th year guy with a lot of career tackles supposedly healed, ready to go.
Cashman was a breakout playmaker in year 3.
Julian Huff tough 3rd year vet who outperforms expectations.
Staff trying to find a way to get Jaylen Waters size on the field.
Coughlin an athlete who can play many roles.
Everett Williams a veteran with size.
Smith has a very nice track record coaching LBs.

Three-deep at Safety:
Winfield showing AllBig potential.
Returns 5th year guy McGhee as a physical presence.
Returns 5th year guy Ayinde as a "Howpher" who keeps working his way on the field.
Jacob Huff in 3rd year earning praise from Fleck.
Bring in 4star recruit HandyHolly.
Bring in Houston/Texas Tech flip Beck.
Mixing in Kent State transfer Dipre.

Three deep at De:
DeLattiboudere looking bigger, very quick.
Gibson maybe coming on as junior.
Mafe may get chance right away.

Devers getting good reports and lot of reps.
Coughlin being used in multiple roles.
Otomewo may get early run.

Smith working on some creative coverages to help the def end group.

Two deep at corner:
Shenault looking good at corner.
Kiondre looking good at corner.
Craighton competing to start.
Will need Harris to be ready.
Winfield playing some corner?

Good summary. Would not be surprised to see Hickox or even Silver play at SDE this year against power teams. Will need someone at DE bigger than 240 against WS, IA, MSU. Hopefully Otomewo and Mafe can redshirt. Lots of potential there.

Good summary. Would not be surprised to see Hickox or even Silver play at SDE this year against power teams. Will need someone at DE bigger than 240 against WS, IA, MSU. Hopefully Otomewo and Mafe can redshirt. Lots of potential there.

We're playing Washington State again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Noncons are Buffalo, Oregon State and Middle Tennessee State.

If I remember correctly, Silver has 3 to play 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see him redshirt this year simply because we have depth this year we won't in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom