STrib: Gophers confident in handing off offense to Conor Rhoda

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

“I don’t think there is anybody walking through the hallways with their head down because Conor Rhoda is playing,” Gophers defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel said. “We’ve seen him play good. He has a good arm. He can throw to any part of the field, which is a good thing.”

For now, Gophers fans will have to take the team’s word for it. Rhoda has played in just three college games, completing one of two passes for 6 yards. But he has outlasted several quarterbacks who’ve come and gone since he signed with the Gophers.

Philip Nelson has transferred twice, landing at East Carolina, where he ranks 17th in the nation in passing yards (306.8 per game).

Rhoda’s good friend, Chris Streveler, transferred to South Dakota, where he threw touchdown passes last week in a 28-25 upset over Northern Iowa.

Dimonic McKinzy has landed at Division II Northeastern State in Oklahoma, where he passed for 279 yards last week. It’s been a rotating door behind Leidner, with Rhoda as the one constant.

“Conor’s heart has always been at Minnesota,” his father said. “He’s a guy who stays loyal. We are extremely proud of him for sticking with this and not being tempted to transfer.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-confident-in-handing-off-offense-to-conor-rhoda/396881131/

Go Gophers!!

Alternate title Gophers have no confidence in Conor Rhoda, expect total failure.

So I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ever say that so the above seems inevitable.

Having said that I hope he does well.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Leidner's per game stats so far this year:

57.7% completion percentage, 201.2 yards, 1TD, 0.8INT
8 rushes, 28.4 yards

Rhoda is obviously not the experienced leader that Leidner is, but it will be interesting to see how close he can get to Leidner's per game numbers.

I always root for a walkon who sticks it out and gets an opportunity.

8 rushes, 28.4 yards

Rhoda is obviously not the experienced leader that Leidner is, but it will be interesting to see how close he can get to Leidner's per game numbers.

I think we are all hoping for the best. I know my expectations are really low but would love it if Rhoda came in and had a great game.

I really hope Rhoda gets it done but have to ask if they are so confident in his abilities, why didn't they put him in for Liedner last Saturday when he was struggling or earlier in the Indiana State game when it was over at halftime? Just amused at the spin. It never changes but I guess what else are you going to say?

I really hope Rhoda gets it done but have to ask if they are so confident in his abilities, why didn't they put him in for Liedner last Saturday when he was struggling or the Indiana State game when it was over at halftime? Just amused at the spin. It never changes but I guess what else are you going to say?

Some kid going out for his first start, you say nice things.

Same goes for his second or third....

No value in saying "Well **** he's not ready, maybe never, but whatever..."

I really hope Rhoda gets it done but have to ask if they are so confident in his abilities, why didn't they put him in for Liedner last Saturday when he was struggling or earlier in the Indiana State game when it was over at halftime? Just amused at the spin. It never changes but I guess what else are you going to say?

They will just pound the rock.

Streveler and Nelson right? Who else was there?

McKinzie and Perras as well. Perras certainly got more hype than Rhoda in past years. Somehow they need to convince QBs it is ok to be a back-up. People say QBs transfer more often than other positions but the Gophers seem extreme.

I hope he does well too. It would be great if he leads the team to victory and Leidner bounces back for the rest of the season.

Looking forward to seeing Rhoda play. This will be great experience for him next year to compete when Mitch is gone. Next man up so this is Rhoda's opportunity. If he could throw the baseball 90 miles an hour this can throw the rock. No excuses not to throw the football, this kid has strong arm and can fit it in to wide receivers, than take the gloves off and let him use the whole field.

Looking forward to seeing Rhoda play. This will be great experience for him next year to compete when Mitch is gone. Next man up so this is Rhoda's opportunity. If he could throw the baseball 90 miles an hour this can throw the rock. No excuses not to throw the football, this kid has strong arm and can fit it in to wide receivers, than take the gloves off and let him use the whole field.

If he can throw a baseball 90 mph what the heck is he doing wasting his time with football? As for the comment about no excuses not to throw the ball could not disagree more. Just because he has a strong arm doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be a good QB, there is so much more to it. The biggest question will be if he can read a defense and make the right decisions.

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

8 rushes, 28.4 yards

If Rhoda completes his first pass, his career completion % will skyrocket to 66.6%, which is north of Tom Brady's 63.6%

If he can throw a baseball 90 mph what the heck is he doing wasting his time with football? As for the comment about no excuses not to throw the ball could not disagree more. Just because he has a strong arm doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be a good QB, there is so much more to it. The biggest question will be if he can read a defense and make the right decisions.

Uhm...So there's not more to being a pitcher than just being able to throw is 90+? I've seen guys throw 90 on a lot of levels and get hammered, because their 90 was flat and pecker high.

Just because he has a strong arm doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be a good baseball player.

Uhm...So there's not more to being a pitcher than just being able to throw is 90+? I've seen guys throw 90 on a lot of levels and get hammered, because their 90 was flat and pecker high.

Just because he has a strong arm doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be a good baseball player.

The baseball comment was a weak attempt at humor, as you are absolutely correct that just like football having a strong arm doesn't guarantee anything as a pitcher.

My point was toward the assertion that Rhoda has a strong arm therefore we should be slinging it all over the field on Saturday, clearly the majority of us realize that it will take a lot more then that for Rhoda to be successful.

I say fling the ball very often Saturday as we don't have data on if Roda can throw the ball. If yes, fantastic with a victory. If not, we will not attempt as many next time around. Besides, he might go O for a bunch and then get hot. Ya never know until you try. Besides, why would Maryland expect him to pass under the regime that thinks all passes are potential turnovers? That may be statistically true, but Ws come from teams who pass and run the ball. Not teams that do one or the other.

He, Rhoda, throws a nice ball and he throws on time with good footwork. Have always been impressed with him in the Spring Games and the few reps I have seen him get in practice. I think this experience will be invaluable going into next year that Rhoda get's a chance to play. Like I said I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with how well he will do on Saturday. That and Maryland is going to load the box with 8-9 guys every play. Let Rhoda throw some quick outs and some quick inside slant routes. I'm betting the kid can sling it, and I am looking forward to seeing it on Saturday. Yeah a strong arm isn't always a perfect indicator, but it sure does help. I like what I see in his footwork and throws, he finishes throws and has good footwork, all good signs of things to come. Hopefully he has good football sense and isn't locking in on one guy, trust your progressions and find the open spots Conner. Not saying he is better than Mitch but to me I think he will be more decisive.
Go Gophers!

Top Bottom