STrib: Gophers chase their NIL version of FedEx's $25 million gift to Memphis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Imagine a day when Gophers athletes are receiving millions of dollars in name, image and likeness (NIL) payments from Minnesota's big businesses, putting them on par with peers across major college sports.

The Gophers are hoping for their own version of what the University of Memphis landed in April with a $25 million NIL contribution from FedEx.

Why not dream big on getting an NIL supercharge from among the state's 15 Fortune 500 companies?

"FedEx is a game-changer," Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle said. "There's no doubt."

Brett Schreiner is the new point person trying to help Coyle and the Gophers attract a big-business NIL investment like the one Tigers athletics scored from the Memphis-based shipping giant.

Go Gophers!!

The deck is stacked against us for at least a few reasons. First, none of our big corporations are going to do it out of their egos or generosity to the U. They will only do it if they can justify it economically. Second, there aren’t enough people in Minnesota that care enough about Gopher sports for any company to do it as a “community support” investment like Fed Ex views Memphis.

I’d like to see what Fed Ex gets from the players for their $25 million.

Per Marcus:

Imagine a day when Gophers athletes are receiving millions of dollars in name, image and likeness (NIL) payments from Minnesota's big businesses, putting them on par with peers across major college sports.
I put this right up there with men competing in women's sports...free alcohol & drugs to the homeless...cash cards to illegal immigrants...etc., etc.

The world is going insane.

What was land o lakes contribution for the practice facility? I view the fedex donation as a quid pro quo for naming rights over the athletic department. How soon will we see logos on the jerseys?

The deck is stacked against us for at least a few reasons. First, none of our big corporations are going to do it out of their egos or generosity to the U. They will only do it if they can justify it economically. Second, there aren’t enough people in Minnesota that care enough about Gopher sports for any company to do it as a “community support” investment like Fed Ex views Memphis.

I’d like to see what Fed Ex gets from the players for their $25 million.
Yeah. Plus Coyle is lying.

They don't need $25M. They could have kept our basketball team together for about an extra $1M. Including replacing Christie if need be.

Basketball is the sport that buying a couple players can make the difference. But of course the U of MN doesn't see it that way. They'd find a way to only funnel a very small % to men's basketball.

I put this right up there with men competing in women's sports...free alcohol & drugs to the homeless...cash cards to illegal immigrants...etc., etc.

The world is going insane.
Okay now, time to turn off the Fox News, gramps.

Top Bottom