STrib: Gophers big man Eric Curry is recovering well and still making an impact

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In a Q&A with the Star Tribune recently, Curry talked about different topics from his recovery to losing weight, Daniel Oturu’s emergence and how he helps Richard Pitino and the coaching staff.

Q: How has your rehab process been since the knee surgery in the fall?
A: My rehab is doing fine. It’s been totally different than my other knee (left knee was previously hurt). I only tore my ACL in this one, so recovery is probably quicker and faster with this one (timetable for return is this summer). Swelling went down after like a week. I’m progressing really quick and really fast and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Q: How have you stayed so positive after having multiple injuries the last few years?

A: Every time I get hurt, my mom travels up here to take care of me for a week when I can’t move around as much. She’s always sent me motivational messages to keep my head on straight. Every morning. She still believes in me and that’s all that really matters. That’s great support. I love her for that.

Q: How do you hope to help the team when you come back next year?

A: Same thing I’ve been doing the last two years. Bring experience. Just being a leader and help get the team through adversity. We won’t have a lot of seniors next year, but all of us will try to contribute to make us even better. I always pride myself on being smart and intelligent, having a high basketball IQ. I think that’s improved a lot. I’ve seen it from both sides now. I’m always around [Coach Pitino] and talking basketball. We talk about what he can do to help the team. Just knowing from his perspective and what he wants helps.

Q: How do you help Pitino specifically?

A: He always comes to me and asks me how to get guys going when they’re struggling. I basically just talk to him about situations to help them flourish. Stuff like that.

Howl Wolves!!

Really unfortunate he could not play this year. I look forward to seeing him play next year and can only wonder how it would have been to see him playing this year with Oturu.

I would love to see him come back and have a break out year like Oturu is having! Not for the team, but for himself. This young man deserves to be rewarded!
At this point a breakout season would be just staying healthy the entire time, even that with low production would be warmly welcomed. Was he able to use a 2nd medical redshirt, or will next year be his senior season?

If he wants it, and if his body can hold up, I have nearly zero doubt that he would be granted a hardship waiver.

That would extend his eligibility clock to six years and allow him to participate in two more seasons, since he has only participated in two so far.

Note that a redshirt isn't really something you need to apply for ... you can just sit out one season at any point you want. You get a five year clock, and you can only participate in four seasons. So one season you have to sit out no matter what (which could simply be the 'fifth season' that you can't get if you play in your first four).

Will be interesting if his new strategy of slimming down will work. He's hopeful that the increased weight was the culprit in these injuries. Could be a solid theory. Hoping for the best!

I would love to see him come back and have a break out year like Oturu is having! Not for the team, but for himself. This young man deserves to be rewarded!
I don't the "like Oturu" is a fair bar to start throwing around to anyone else.

In 49 career games, Curry is averaging 5.1 points and 4.6 rebounds a game for the Gophers.

It's impossible to know what he might have done if he was healthy. All we know is what he did when he played.

so, realistically, if Curry is able to come back and play next year, I think a reasonable expectation is something close to his career average - 5 points and 4 or 5 rebounds a game. Anything more than that is gravy, in my book.

In 49 career games, Curry is averaging 5.1 points and 4.6 rebounds a game for the Gophers.

It's impossible to know what he might have done if he was healthy. All we know is what he did when he played.

so, realistically, if Curry is able to come back and play next year, I think a reasonable expectation is something close to his career average - 5 points and 4 or 5 rebounds a game. Anything more than that is gravy, in my book.
That's reasonable. I don't think there is any way with all the stuff he has gone through where he can just start getting 15 pts 9 boards a game or something like that, which I believe he had the potential for. But, he has had a couple years to work on his shot and his understanding of the game. I could see him being a 10 and 6 player who plays 20-25 minutes. I would guess that the effort to lose weight would make him more of a 4 than a 5.

If he had not had any injuries, I envisioned him as a more active defensively version of Murphy with a better jumper.

Those would be more than fair if he gave us 18-20 minutes. I really enjoyed him and was so sad when he got hurt. Cheering for the guy big time!

While it would be awesome for him to be able to come back and contribute... almost kinda feel like at this point maybe he should be thinking more long term about just getting back to maintaining a level where he can still walk normally for the foreseeable future and not have extensive issues down the road. Not up to me though, so i'll just cross my fingers for the kid and wish him the best.

Eric always seems like one of the nicest guys in basketball and I hope he reaches his full potential in basketball/life. That said, it was never realistic to count on him this year before his latest knee injury. He never showed the same athletic ability after missing a year with his first injury, suffered two more injuries during last season, and was coming in to this season after basically missing two full years. The list of players who come back from that is very, very short. Now you add in a major knee injury to the opposite knee and another year of inactivity/rehab and being 3 years removed from being a consistent contributor to a high major basketball team.

It would be an awesome story if he can come back from this, but I hope people realize that so much of a potential comeback now is truly out of his hands. It's how good his surgeon is, his genetics, how good the physical therapy team is, and how hard he works or "wants it" is just one little piece of the puzzle.

He's hoping that it was the extra weight he was carrying that caused all the injuries. He's been working to lighten up, and hope his body can hold out at the lighter weight.

Sounds like a future coach in the making. Hope the best for him in all things.

Would love to see him contributing next season. He kinda gets forgotten because he's played so little the past few years.

Would love to see him contributing next season. He kinda gets forgotten because he's played so little the past few years.
I still remember the game he had against Michigan at the Barn his freshman season. He was a big reason for us winning in overtime. Clutch

Best of luck to EC. Seems like a great kid and I commend him for his determination to stick with the game.

After his freshman year, I thought he had the potential to be a Nigel Hayes type player for us.

He had a fun 20-30 minutes on KFAN today with Richard on the road recruiting. Was really good to listen to. Smart kid.

Top Bottom