Strib: Gophers athletics budget gets back in the black

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

For the first time in five years, the University of Minnesota athletic department is in the black.

According to a revenue and expenses database published by USA Today, Minnesota turned a profit of roughly $1.9 million in 2013, the first time the department has made money since 2008 and only the third time since 2005.

“That’s something that we’re going to strive to do each and every year and hopefully as we continue to improve in all of our sports, we will continue to show more profit,” athletic department spokesman Chris Werle said.

The year 2013 marked the first full year new athletic director Norwood Teague, who was hired in April 2012, presided over the department.

According to the database, Minnesota ranked 15th with more than $98 million in revenue, up from more than $83 million in 2012.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/262206691.html?src=news-stmp

Go Gophers!!

Thank the B1G network and no longer paying ex-coaches and ADs.

You are, of course 100% correct Corcoran. Extending, then buying out coaches is a major disaster to an athletic department budget. With the increasing revenues from the Big Ten Network, it took major incompetence by the administrators and the athletic directors at the University of Minnesota to have let five years lapse all the while operating in the red. Someone else can name the names of the guilty parties if they should choose to do so. If not, I KNOW exactly who the guilty administrators and athletic directors have been. The pattern of extending and then firing carried over into the tenures of both the former and the present ad's, as well as the administrations of both the former and the present prexys. Right now, the Football Program carries the potential of liability taken on by extending contracts with raises in salary. I don't worry about that so much until there is a situation in which an early buy out may become a possibility.

WIN Conference games Coach. Win border battle games. Win trophy games. Have the team ready to win a ball game, or at least be highly competitive in Ann Arbor and beat the stinking badger in 2014! I want NO possibility of seeing the fan base and the media calling for a change in coaching. It will take border battle wins, trophy game wins , bowl invitations AND some bowl wins to avoid that situation happening ey five years or so at this university.

I want to see the Athletic Department Budget remain in the black for a LONG time to come. With the Big Ten Tv payments rolling in on a yearly basis, only costly contract extensions followed by even more costly contract buy outs followed by even more costly new hires could foul up the budget. At Minnesota we don't take too kindly to having our budgets in the red. Beat the stinking badger. Take it to the Maize & Blue in the Big House this year too!

Top Bottom