STrib: Gophers AD search is fighting some 'done deal' perceptions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

As the University of Minnesota expands the national search for its next athletic director, the school could be battling a perception that the eventual choice already has the job.

Interim AD Beth Goetz has drawn repeated praise for her leadership of the department since Aug. 7, when Norwood Teague abruptly resigned. Goetz even made her own hire recently, filling a vacant senior associate AD position.

University President Eric Kaler said this week that this will be “an open national search” for Teague’s permanent replacement. He insisted Goetz “is not a lock.”

But nationally, at least some potential candidates think it’s a done deal.

“There are people who’ve called me to inquire if I knew if it was a legitimate search,” said former Gophers AD McKinley Boston. “And I told them I have no idea.

“The people that call are potential candidates. They want to know if they should put their names out there and then be put at risk at their home universities for applying for a job when they have a job.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-will-fight-some-done-deal-perceptions/373567481/

Go Gophers!!

Sometimes I really hate the way this University is run. I had high hopes for Kaler but every year he let's me down a little bit more.

You don't take a person who was in charge of volleyball and one other second tier sport (can't remember which one) and put them in charge of a $100M operation. Foolish.

You don't take a person who was in charge of volleyball and one other second tier sport (can't remember which one) and put them in charge of a $100M operation. Foolish.

In addition to the sports she was in charge of, she was the COO of the department.

So, she has basically been overseeing the department since her arrival.

Irregardless of Beth's abilities, this screams mismanagement, again. It's akin to the Bo Ryan/gard situation, just on accident.

I wish Joe would have presented some evidence of a phony process instead of the weaselly phrase, “Could be battling a perception problem”.

Even McKinley Boston’s, “They want to know if they should put their names out there and then be put at risk at their home universities for applying for a job when they have a job.” applies to every AD job search not to mention damn near every job search I know.

A friend who is an expert in assessing personality & traits for employment heard her speak recently and thought she came off as 'weak' (tho she was speaking to a group of women who all liked her.)
That makes her lock, I'm afraid. I'd be very disappointed.

Sometimes I really hate the way this University is run. I had high hopes for Kaler but every year he let's me down a little bit more.

When he stated that they expected to pay the next AD less than the Big Ten AD median salary, it is disappointing.

I wish Joe would have presented some evidence of a phony process instead of the weaselly phrase, “Could be battling a perception problem”.

Even McKinley Boston’s, “They want to know if they should put their names out there and then be put at risk at their home universities for applying for a job when they have a job.” applies to every AD job search not to mention damn near every job search I know.
But pay attention to the earlier part from Boston which identifies the perception problem:
“There are people who’ve called me to inquire if I knew if it was a legitimate search,” said former Gophers AD McKinley Boston. “And I told them I have no idea."

This is Kaler who hasn't bothered to make relationships with anyone but the legislature. Boston should be able to respond to these questions with something other than 'I have no idea' and he can't.

But pay attention to the earlier part from Boston which identifies the perception problem:
“There are people who’ve called me to inquire if I knew if it was a legitimate search,” said former Gophers AD McKinley Boston. “And I told them I have no idea."

This is Kaler who hasn't bothered to make relationships with anyone but the legislature. Boston should be able to respond to these questions with something other than 'I have no idea' and he can't.
Why should Boston have any knowledge of the situation. He's been gone from Minnesota for 20 years. The question is why anyone would even be calling him in the first place.
Give Beth the job and let's move on already.

Why should Boston have any knowledge of the situation. He's been gone from Minnesota for 20 years. The question is why anyone would even be calling him in the first place.

Exactly. What the hell would Boston know?

Exactly. What the hell would Boston know?
Seriously? He also attended the U and is a former football player, isn't he? Some people consider these lifelong connections.
Maybe you don't think people should be contacting him, but so what? They are. Because the process has been so weird, slow and opaque.

An organization I am affiliated with has a terrific director retiring within the year. While we will be using a search firm to replace this person, we have been told by said search firm that we are at least as likely to make contact with an exceptional candidate through the contacts of our board and donors as through them. That the informal networking is just as important, if not more important, as the formal ones.

A friend who is an expert in assessing personality & traits for employment heard her speak recently and thought she came off as 'weak' (tho she was speaking to a group of women who all liked her.)

I don't know that she's weak. I think she's an introvert. The job requires an extrovert, so it probably isn't a good fit.

Seriously? He also attended the U and is a former football player, isn't he? Some people consider these lifelong connections.
Maybe you don't think people should be contacting him, but so what? They are. Because the process has been so weird, slow and opaque.

An organization I am affiliated with has a terrific director retiring within the year. While we will be using a search firm to replace this person, we have been told by said search firm that we are at least as likely to make contact with an exceptional candidate through the contacts of our board and donors as through them. That the informal networking is just as important, if not more important, as the formal ones.

Boston's comment says more about himself than it says about the search. Any AD or potential AD worth his/her salt would have no commented that question.

I don't know that she's weak. I think she's an introvert. The job requires an extrovert, so it probably isn't a good fit.

So hire Najarian and keep Beth around for 250 K a year.

PS You don't get to her level as an extrovert.

So she tailored her message to her audience (who liked her) but your friend (a contrarian apparently) didn't. And you would be very disappointed if she got the job? Please share the actual reasons you don't want Goetz.

Sorry Moonlight- but you are usually a very reasonable poster, and I don't understand this take.

The AD needs to be an extrovert? I disagree. I think Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and many other great, introverted leaders would, too.

You guys aren't giving the search committee enough credit. They have a rubric to help select the best possible AD for the U of M from all available candidates. Just because the first measurement is "is your first name Beth" and the second is "is your last name Goetz" doesn't mean they won't be able after careful consideration and weighing all options to make the correct decision.

I don't think the University is unique in this sort of wasteful HR flim flam. Monster is filled with job postings that are just done to fufill an internal HR requirement to post an internal position externally even when the candidate is already selected.

So she tailored her message to her audience (who liked her) but your friend (a contrarian apparently) didn't. And you would be very disappointed if she got the job? Please share the actual reasons you don't want Goetz.

Sorry Moonlight- but you are usually a very reasonable poster, and I don't understand this take.
Friend is definitely not a contrarian, and she didn't dislike her. She is eminently fair & simply an expert (and I do mean expert) at matching skills with job requirements. There aren't many people whose opinion would strongly influence my own, but hers is one. As an alum & longtime football and basketball season ticket holder, she was disappointed In Goetz's responses to questions directly oriented to sports, and to the latest video incident.

Consider that Boston's comment may have been an asset, giving the U an opportunity to aggressively counter the impression as needed.

Sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo egghead psychology gobbly goop. Think I'll take a pass on her opinions, thank you.

And if Beth came across as opinionated, extroverted, and forceful a lot of GH would be in crises mode because she's a "bitch" who would be trying to take us back to the days of Chris V. Folks might let this play out before they're convinced this will end in a disaster--not that they have any choice.

Let's face it. Some people are opposed to Goetz because she's not part of the 'good-ol-boy, M-Club network. Others just want a new face for the department.

As I've said before, it comes down to what type of an AD the U of M wants. If they want a more outgoing, flamboyant type, that's not Goetz. If they want more of a 'manager' type, then Goetz has a shot.

Top Bottom