STrib: Gophers AD Mark Coyle on Lucia, Pitino, Claeys, Robinson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib Q&A with Coyle:

Q Is it fair to say you want to see how the football and men’s basketball seasons play out before you think too much about those things?

A Again, it’s spending time with those coaches. I literally met Coach Claeys at a Dairy Queen for the first time. I’ve enjoyed getting to know him and I’ve been very impressed what they’ve done academically. Last year, 6-7, Tracy will be the first one to tell you that’s now where we want to be. I can tell you I’m very competitive and I want to win. I believe we can win the right way — and what I mean by that is academically, socially and athletically. I’ve enjoyed spending time with Coach Pitino and getting to visit with him. Similar to my conversations with Don, it’s about what I can do to help them. What do we have to do to get this thing to where we all want to go? I promise you, whether we’re talking about Don or Richard or Tracy … or any coach, nobody wants to win more than them, and nobody wants to do it the right way more than them.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-mark-coyle-on-lucia-pitino-claeys-robinson/386058751/

Go Gophers!!

PiPress Q&A:

Q: During your introductory press conference, University President Eric Kaler said how “profoundly disappointed” he was in the men’s basketball program. Now that you’ve been on the job, how can you assess the situation?
A: I’ve had positive conversations with Coach Pitino, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know him. You have to understand he and I are meeting each other for the first time, to have the chance to sit down with him. I always use the statement: nobody wants to win more than the young men on that team and Coach Pitino. I truly feel like it is my job … and all of our job in the department (to say), “What can we do help Coach Pitino and all of our coaches to compete at a high level?” I’ve enjoyed spending time with him and learning about his program, learning about things that he thinks we need to do to help them win the right way.

Q: One of the things brought up when there were issues was his large buyout. What’s his future here in Minnesota?
A: The first thing … is to focus on here and now. We can control the effort we give. I’m really appreciative of the effort he’s given. He’s been very open and honest with me, and I think Coach Pitino wants to win desperately, like our fans want to win. We want to do it the right way. I’m excited to work with him and I’m excited to get to know him and his program better and what I can do to support him.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/0...-mark-coyle-discusses-first-six-weeks-on-job/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom