STrib: Former Gophers players voice their support for coach Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

• Tony Brinkhaus was an offensive lineman for the Gophers from 2004 to ’07, so he played for both Mason and Brewster.

“I love that [Kill’s] kind of a tough-love coach,” Brinkhaus said. “He’s got a group of assistants who’ve been with him for a very long time, and they obviously know how to work without him.

“But there’s something to be said about the head coach addressing the team, giving that game day speech. I guess any time your leader is [gone] it’s something that could be a distraction.

“I think there are a lot of people out there who are saying, ‘He’s got to go.’ That’s not how I feel. I think the program’s turning in the right direction. I’m hoping he can get through this, and if he’s not able to, I would hope that he’d be making the decision, not the university.”

• Bob Stein was an All-America linebacker for the Gophers in 1967 and ’68 and now works as a local attorney. He was a vocal critic of Brewster but has thrown his support behind Kill. Stein is hopeful, knowing that 70 percent of epilepsy patients can become seizure-free with proper medication.

“He’s got an illness, a disability he’s dealing with, and it’s a matter of getting his medication where it should be,” Stein said. “[Kill’s seizures have] been controlled in the past.

“I just don’t buy into the thinking that there’s anything that prevents him from doing a great job. I completely believe that if he couldn’t, he’d be the first one to acknowledge it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/226841471.html

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

• Tony Brinkhaus was an offensive lineman for the Gophers from 2004 to ’07, so he played for both Mason and Brewster.

“I love that [Kill’s] kind of a tough-love coach,” Brinkhaus said. “He’s got a group of assistants who’ve been with him for a very long time, and they obviously know how to work without him.

“But there’s something to be said about the head coach addressing the team, giving that game day speech. I guess any time your leader is [gone] it’s something that could be a distraction.

“I think there are a lot of people out there who are saying, ‘He’s got to go.’ That’s not how I feel. I think the program’s turning in the right direction. I’m hoping he can get through this, and if he’s not able to, I would hope that he’d be making the decision, not the university.”

• Bob Stein was an All-America linebacker for the Gophers in 1967 and ’68 and now works as a local attorney. He was a vocal critic of Brewster but has thrown his support behind Kill. Stein is hopeful, knowing that 70 percent of epilepsy patients can become seizure-free with proper medication.

“He’s got an illness, a disability he’s dealing with, and it’s a matter of getting his medication where it should be,” Stein said. “[Kill’s seizures have] been controlled in the past.

“I just don’t buy into the thinking that there’s anything that prevents him from doing a great job. I completely believe that if he couldn’t, he’d be the first one to acknowledge it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/226841471.html

Go Gophers!!

Bob Stein was available for a quote! Gees, that hardly ever happens..

Top Bottom