STrib: Football at Target Field? Johnnies vs. Tommies slated for 2017

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

The Twins sent out a news release Friday morning announcing a press conference Monday to provide details on a football game that will be played at Target Field in 2017.

The release didn’t provide any other details — teams? High school? College? –but multiple sources said the matchup will be MIAC rivals St. John’s vs. St. Thomas.

More official information will be provided Monday.

http://www.startribune.com/sources-...ohns-vs-st-thomas-football-in-2017/397095471/

Go Gophers!!

Shama chimes in:

There will be a news conference Monday at Target Field announcing a football game to be played in the Twins stadium next year. Best guess is North Dakota State will be the host team. The Bison have a home game on their 2017 schedule October 28 against Northern Iowa. Could the game be played at Target Field? The Gophers are at Iowa that Saturday.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

You've go two beautiful new football stadiums and you want to play a game in a baseball park.

DUMB!

The Wrigley thing (that isn't happening anytime soon) is kinda amusing as they did play there back in the day.... this is just weird.

My prediction. Michigan and Jim are gonna do a camp and then play a game here to lock up all of our local recruits!

I'm not sure what the appeal is to play a rivalry game in a baseball stadium.

Why would the Hawks come here and play a football game?

Doesn't really make much sense in a baseball stadium. Why not the other two new stadiums? Weird must be the twins out recruiting teams to play there.

Tommie Johnnie would make sense. Could go for D3 record crowd. NDSU would make little sense...would make more sense at US or TCF

I'm sure it's NDSU.

Probably against Northern Iowa.

Tommie Johnnie would make sense. Could go for D3 record crowd. NDSU would make little sense...would make more sense at US or TCF

No teams are going to play at another College's stadium. NDSU and Northern Iowa at USBank would make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've go two beautiful new football stadiums and you want to play a game in a baseball park.

DUMB!

I'll bet we see this game at the new Minnesota United stadium in 2018 or 2019.

No teams are going to play at another College's stadium. NDSU and Northern Iowa at USBank would make sense.

Good thought except that it isn't true at the lower levels and it has happened before. What you say is true for major college, but for lower levels they would play at another college stadium as a neutral site.

Two division one programs are not coming to the twin cities to play at TCF.

Also two d3 teams are going to play at Target field or the new soccer stadium.

As to why the Tommies and Johnnies would play at Target Field - St. Thomas and St. John's have the record for attendance at a D3 FB Game - about 17,500.

At Target Field, they can smash that record. For people who don't follow small-college FB, this game is huge in MN. Both schools with great traditions and avid fan bases. That game in Target field will be a sellout - depending on how they configure the seating, could be close to 40,000 in the stands. In fact, I will state this as a fact: the actual attendance - fans actually in seats - for the Tommie/Johnnie game will be higher than than the actual attenance at a lot of Gopher games at TCF.

I do not think they will get 40k.

Probably will get 25-30...which looks a lot more impressive at target field than TCF or US Bank Stadium

The Twins have three home games after this. Will be interesting to see the condition of the field after that, especially if it rains during the football game.

The A's and Raiders have done this for years. Concerts do more damage.

The Twins have three home games after this. Will be interesting to see the condition of the field after that, especially if it rains during the football game.

6 days later...

They're pretty aggressive about ripping out sections of sod and replacing it at Target Field. I suspect it will be fine, they do better work at Target Field than say Northwestern who seems reluctant to mow more than once a month... sometimes not even water.

The A's and Raiders have done this for years. Concerts do more damage.

Oakland averages .25 inches of rain in September. The field will be fine if under good conditions. Could be pretty rough if the football game is played in rain though.

6 days later...

They're pretty aggressive about ripping out sections of sod and replacing it at Target Field. I suspect it will be fine, they do better work at Target Field than say Northwestern who seems reluctant to mow more than once a month... sometimes not even water.

Who says there will be sod to tear our? Play on the infield dirt like he Vikes used to.

As a Tommie, I will be going to this. Pretty thankful that they ensured it doesn't coincide with a Gopher game.

Now if only all these people getting married in the fall would do the same...

Top Bottom