STrib: Cobb headed to Senior Bowl; Botticelli, Thompson and Wilson to NFLPA Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

David Cobb is one of four graduating Gophers seniors who'll be in action this month in collegiate all-star games. Cobb has accepted an invite to play in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 24 in Mobile, Ala.

The Gophers also will have three recent grads in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl -- Cameron Botticelli, Cedric Thompson and Damien Wilson. That game is Jan. 17 in Carson, Calif., and the head coaches are Mike Holmgren and Mike Martz.

The Senior Bowl will be on NFL Network. The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl will be on ESPN2.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/287960781.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Cobb and most likely Wilson will be at the combine. I was worried about Damien after seeing barely any projections having him drafted but the combine and NFLPA bowl will probably get him on the radar. Vereen wasn't a projected draft pick in early january last year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Believe that tweet is referring to Cobb and Maxx.

Ah, your right. Thats disappointing because I feel Damien really deserves it. If Brock and MarQueis can get invited then a guy with 119 tackles and 10.5 TFLs should too IMO. Hopefully it's not too late to get an invite.

I have a gut feeling that Cobb is going to get drafted by NE in the 4th round.

ESPN ranked Wilson the 4th best prospect on the American team during practice. They said scouts believe he can be a sleeper and he has extremely good diagnostic skills.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

'Game is on ESPN2 3:00 CST. Also can be seen on WatchESPN on cable.

Best of luck Cameron, Cedric, and Damien!

Kevin Weidl was on Sirius College Football earlier in the week saying that Damian Wilson was having great practices at the all star game and should be drafted between the 4th and 7th rounds.

I believe I saw both Cedric and Botticelli playing earlier in the game. It was tough to pick them out by just their helmets, Cedric didn't appear to have the M on the side either. I don't recall them making a play but I spent most of my time trying to count the number of fans. There couldn't have been more than 50 on the shaded side of the field.

All three guys played a bunch. Wilson didn't have the decal on his helmet for some reason so he was hard to see. I didn't see the last 10 minutes or so but I don't think they did much. The announcers did give Thompson a little credit for his break on the ball in the end zone. I don't think he tipped it but he did distract the receiver enough that he dropped it.

I think the practices are just as important in these type of games. It's hard to gauge these guys in the game alone. Sounds like Wilson had a great week.

All three guys played a bunch. Wilson didn't have the decal on his helmet for some reason so he was hard to see. I didn't see the last 10 minutes or so but I don't think they did much. The announcers did give Thompson a little credit for his break on the ball in the end zone. I don't think he tipped it but he did distract the receiver enough that he dropped it.

I think the practices are just as important in these type of games. It's hard to gauge these guys in the game alone. Sounds like Wilson had a great week.

That's always been my impression. I think the scouts like seeing these guys in drills to get an idea of what they may be able to be taught as opposed to what they are actually doing now. Projection is such a big part of the process now.

Nice to hear they all played and it sounds like they played well. Of these three, I think Wilson has the best chance of being drafted and I would guess it will be 3rd day (Rounds 4-7). Did he get a combine invite?

I think Thompson has a shot to at least be a top-tier non-drafted free agent. If he impresses at his Pro Day, he may get drafted. I think Botticelli probably ends up being a free agent, but he's a high effort guy who could play in either the 3-4 or 4-3.

I watched every minute of it and it was incredibly boring. The senior bowl will probably be better as Cobb is a skill position guy. It was easy to watch Croft and Jeff in their all star games but it's hard to watch a game for just one player if he is a defensive guy or lineman. From my count, Wilson had 3 tackles and would've had an easy 4th had the RB not dropped the pass. Cedric had 2 tackles and Botticelli had a tackle and he whiffed on two would be sacks.

I watched every minute of it and it was incredibly boring. The senior bowl will probably be better as Cobb is a skill position guy. It was easy to watch Croft and Jeff in their all star games but it's hard to watch a game for just one player if he is a defensive guy or lineman. From my count, Wilson had 3 tackles and would've had an easy 4th had the RB not dropped the pass. Cedric had 2 tackles and Botticelli had a tackle and he whiffed on two would be sacks.

I think the game is boring due to all the 'rules' like no blitzing and those kind of things. Really is catered to QB's and WR's.

I think the game is boring due to all the 'rules' like no blitzing and those kind of things. Really is catered to QB's and WR's.

Thats because it's incredibly hard on the O-line to pick up those blitzes and stunts with only having a weeks worth of practice. I thought it was boring just because there aren't many players I knew, there was no crowd or energy at the game and none of the players I cheered for played QB or RB or didn't really make a ton of plays.

Thats because it's incredibly hard on the O-line to pick up those blitzes and stunts with only having a weeks worth of practice. I thought it was boring just because there aren't many players I knew, there was no crowd or energy at the game and none of the players I cheered for played QB or RB or didn't really make a ton of plays.

Good point on the o-line. Didn't even think of that.

Top Bottom