STrib: Bowl-bound Gophers evaluate roster, how to build on this year's success

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

The Gophers football team captured the state’s attention this fall. Now the challenge is keeping it.

More expectation will fall on the Gophers’ shoulders in 2020, as they return nine of 11 starters on offense, including quarterback Tanner Morgan. But graduation will sap the defense of six impact players, with sophomore safety Antoine Winfield Jr., the Big Ten’s defensive back of the year, a strong candidate to leave early for the NFL.

While coach P.J. Fleck’s team waits to learn its bowl destination Sunday, here’s a look ahead to the 2020 roster:

The defense must replace several key seniors, including two top linebackers. Kamal Martin ranked second on the team with 66 tackles, including two interceptions and two forced fumbles. Middle linebacker Thomas Barber was the general of the defense.

Three contributing defensive ends will be missed. Carter Coughlin was a second-team All-Big Ten selection for his team-high 9.5 tackles for loss. Winston DeLattiboudere was the defense’s great motivator who contributed 27 tackles. Tai’yon Devers was a big part of the Gophers’ third-down pass-rush package.

Go Gophers!!

I too was worried about replacing the departing defenders but I have been corrected that this will be no problem at all. Apparently, our D will not skip a beat even in the earliest games of the schedule next year. Megan is just being an alamist.

I think everyone is pretty stoked to see next year's offense - that is going to be very fun to watch and just might be better than this year's version if the offensive line continues to improve. I am wondering if freshman Ky Thomas steps in and gets some carries - he looks like he could be just explosive! On defense, we lose a lot of experience but we do have a lot of guys PJ Fleck has recruited the last few years that have been waiting for their chance. Hopefully we have some guys ready to step up and grab some spots!

Running back will still be a position of strength. Bryce Williams was allowed to Red-Shirt and will be a 3rd year player. Mo will be in 4th year. Potts and Wiley are quality as well. We'll see if Fleck out recruited these four players.

WR saw four players red-shirt this year that will compete for playing time. 3 of them are 6'4".

Was Nubin the only position player to burn red-shirt?

There are 9 DL rostered players that are freshmen or RS freshmen.
There are 6 LB's rostered that are freshmen or RS freshmen.

10-2 and able to build for the future is huge. Offense should be able to help the defense be better than they truly are next year.

I was looking at our 2019 recruiting class and realized we've hardly seen any of those players step foot on the field. Will be interesting to see what we look like, especially on defense.

Fleck has earned the ability to have his recruited 5th year seniors play In two years - the apex for building a Perennial winner is having 5th year seniors matched with balanced classes behind them. The rebuilding will be over and reloading will begin. The future is bright.

I’m hoping a handful of redshirt frosh will be solid contributors, and maybe even shine. Who would they most likely be?

There's a big difference between an 18 year old and a 22-23 year old. BYU, when they were dominant, had many of their players go on missions for a couple of years and come back. They were often 22-24 by the time they were seniors. That helped them be very good. If you know how to play the redshirt rules it can really help

Running back will still be a position of strength. Bryce Williams was allowed to Red-Shirt and will be a 3rd year player. Mo will be in 4th year. Potts and Wiley are quality as well. We'll see if Fleck out recruited these four players.

WR saw four players red-shirt this year that will compete for playing time. 3 of them are 6'4".

Was Nubin the only position player to burn red-shirt?

There are 9 DL rostered players that are freshmen or RS freshmen.
There are 6 LB's rostered that are freshmen or RS freshmen.

10-2 and able to build for the future is huge. Offense should be able to help the defense be better than they truly are next year.
Mo is the only back who’s really showed us much. Wiley looks the part. I have a feeling Ky will challenge for playing time off the bat. Hopefully we are deep enough that he can redshirt.

There's a big difference between an 18 year old and a 22-23 year old. BYU, when they were dominant, had many of their players go on missions for a couple of years and come back. They were often 22-24 by the time they were seniors. That helped them be very good. If you know how to play the redshirt rules it can really help
Yeah I remember reading a story about Jim Grobe and his run at Wake Forest and he put together a few huge seasons including an ACC championship and he said the secret to winning at programs like that is continuity as well as red shirting everyone so they can be all "5th year men" playing against "18-19 year old boys". There is some value in that for sure.

I hope that some of the RSFR get to play a few snaps in the bowl game. The current rules allow that but that is something that I've always wanted. Get the new kids out there. Reward them for their hard work.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any current Sr's, choose to not play in the bowl game. My gut says they all will play.

I hope that some of the RSFR get to play a few snaps in the bowl game. The current rules allow that but that is something that I've always wanted. Get the new kids out there. Reward them for their hard work.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any current Sr's, choose to not play in the bowl game. My gut says they all will play.
I'm guessing someone has a nagging injury we're not aware of where they may choose to not go, but I think you're right that most (or all) play.

Top Bottom