STrib: Botticelli among former Gophers hoping to prove themselves on Pro Day

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Maxx Williams, Damien Wilson and David Cobb will look to build off their performances at the Combine, though Cobb could still be limited after injuring a quad in Indianapolis.

The list of other NFL hopefuls expected to work out Monday includes Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells, Zac Epping, Michael Amaefula, Isaac Fruechte, Donnell Kirkwood, Logan Hutton, Harold Legania, Ben Perry, Devon White and Marcus Jones. Another interesting one to watch will be Derrick Engel, who was the Gophers leading receiver in 2013 before tearing an ACL late that season.

Getting drafted would be a dream for all these players, but what they all want most is a chance to perform in an NFL camp.

“I’ve prepared myself all along to make my way and to create an opportunity for myself as an undrafted free agent,” Botticelli said. “Whatever opportunity I get, I will attack with every ounce of fervor that I have everything else to this point.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/294513781.html

Go Gophers!!

If Cobb isn't able to run the 40 when will he be able to? His stock will be hurt without an official time.

The tape tells the story. Cobb was a technician slicing up defenses even though they knew he was carrying the ball 2/3 of the time he was in the game, and with average speed. Phenomenal, really.

Coaches, scouts, and management that can recognize that talent won't have a problem with his average speed. From what I've seen though, the NFL is split into management/coaches that can recognize talent (New England) and then a bunch of "guys" that salivate over measurables. So it probably does hurt his stock a little bit. It's unfortunate but I still expect him to be drafted in the 4-5 rd range and have to fight for carries. Right up his alley.

Top Bottom