STrib: Bob Motzko finds plenty of reasons for optimism as Gophers men’s hockey season approaches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Motzko is extremely high on his defensemen​

The defensive trio of Brock Faber, Jackson LaCombe and Ryan Johnson — two second-round NHL picks and a first-rounder — helped the Gophers earn back-to-back NCAA Frozen Four trips and come within a whisker of winning the 2023 national championship before embarking to the pro ranks. Motzko said he believes he might have a better group of defensemen this season.

“I hate to say it, but I don’t think we’re going to miss a beat,” said Motzko, whose team last season advanced to the Sioux Falls Regional final and finished 23-11-5 in their first year since 2000 without Faber, Johnson and LaCombe. “That’s a compliment because of how outstanding that group was. This is the strongest defensive corps in a cycle that I’ve ever been through.”

The group that Motzko praises includes sophomore Sam Rinzel, a first-round Chicago Blackhawks pick; sophomore Luke Mittelstadt, a seventh-round Montreal selection; senior Mike Koster, a fifth-round Toronto pick; and junior Cal Thomas, a sixth-round Arizona pick.

Add in freshmen John Whipple, a fifth-round Detroit pick from the U.S. National Team Development Program, and Leo Gruba, a 6-2, 209-pounder who had 22 goals and 35 assists with Fargo of the USHL last season, and the Gophers will be stacked on the blue line.

“This one’s actually got a little more size, little more nastiness,” Motzko said of his ‘D’ corps.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom