STrib blog: Freshmen to get 3-day camp indoctrination

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The first steps toward the 2010 football season will be taken Friday morning at 6 a.m., and they'll be quick ones. The Gophers' first training-camp assignment is a series of 110-yard sprints, moments after sunrise, with coaches holding stopwatches.

Well, it's a start.

The more traditional part of training camp, the football part, gets under way a little later in the day, and there's a twist this year. Gophers coach Tim Brewster said Thursday that incoming freshmen will train separately from the returning players for the first three days, in order to give them a little special attention.

"It's going to allow us to do a better job of teaching the young freshmen," Brewster said. "It means totally spending meeting time with just the freshmen, and on the field-time (too), as opposed to them being in a line that's got four or five guys in it. It will really help the number of reps they get."

Freshmen will take the field at 9 a.m. each morning, and everyone else will practice at 3:30 p.m. After a weekend of coaching emphasis on fundamentals and technique, the newcomers will join the vets on Monday as regular two-a-days begin.

"It will help, most importantly, from a confidence standpoint," Brewster said of his 20-member freshmen class. "They'll go into the fourth day with the older guys much more confident."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

Can we interpret this as sign that freshmen will play this fall? In the sense that they are trying to figure out who can play and then getting them ready.

Can we interpret this as sign that freshmen will play this fall? In the sense that they are trying to figure out who can play and then getting them ready.

I think this is absolutely correct. I am particularly excited to hear about which of the frosh backs look good enough to get carries immediately. Hopefully two of these guys can push for time right away. I just hope Wright is eligible. Also, DB will be interesting, as some of those guys will have to fit in for depth purposes.

Can't wait for practice to start.

Top Bottom