STrib: Beth Goetz leaving Minnesota for job at University of Connecticut

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Former Gophers interim athletics director Beth Goetz has been hired to be the University of Connecticut’s chief operating officer for athletics, the University of Minnesota confirmed.

Goetz filled in as interim AD after Norwood Teague resigned last August and announced that she’d like to be considered for the permanent position. But the University of Minnesota hired Mark Coyle away from Syracuse to be the AD last month.

Goetz had returned to her position as deputy AD after Coyle took over last week.

At Connecticut, she’ll be working under AD David Benedict, who worked with her at Minnesota under Teague as a senior associate AD.

http://www.startribune.com/beth-goe...-job-at-univetrsity-of-connecticut/382356411/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per STrib:

Former Gophers interim athletics director Beth Goetz has been hired to be the University of Connecticut
Figured it was a matter time before Beth moved on. Best of luck to her, she did a good job keeping the ship a float.

Well, good luck with all that, then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

per Sid:

Goetz was sure to go

Beth Goetz wasn't in a talking mood following the announcement that the former Gophers interim athletic director had decided to leave the University of Minnesota to join former Gophers assistant athletic director David Benedict, who is now the AD at Connecticut.

All Goetz wanted to concentrate on was to praise the president of the University of Minnesota, Eric Kaler, for giving her the opportunity as interim AD last August, as she presided over one of the toughest stretches in the history of the athletic department. Goetz predicted great things for the Gophers under new AD Mark Coyle.

"I was happy to serve in the way the president asked me to, and if he would have felt I was the best I would have loved to the opportunity to lead Minnesota," Goetz said. "But I really think Mark Coyle is a great guy. He is going to do a tremendous job moving forward in the future."

One thing Goetz did say that was lured her to UConn was the opportunity to be involved with a football program, which other opportunities she had didn't offer.

"I love the Twin Cities, and it wasn't easy to leave," she said. "It was a really difficult decision for me. I know the success they're going to have and what great people are there, so it was a tough choice, a tough decision."

There's no doubt in my mind that at one time Kaler was going to make Goetz the permanent athletic director, but when one problem after another developed in the athletic department, the pressure from the outside was such that the boosters and those close to the university wouldn't have been happy with the appointment.

There's also no doubt also in my mind that she was very upset when she was overruled on whether or not to keep former football coach Jerry Kill in the program, and that it was among the many factors as to why she left.

I don't believe the job at UConn is any better than the one Goetz would have had here had she stayed. But thinking she had the top job at one time was another big reason for her departure.

http://www.startribune.com/thibodeau-looking-at-assistants-prospects/382437361/

Go Gophers!!

"There's also no doubt also in my mind that she was very upset when she was overruled on whether or not to keep former football coach Jerry Kill in the program, and that it was among the many factors as to why she left."

That's just a bunch of B.S. Sid pushing his Kill agenda. Give it up, move on, Sid.

She left because she got passed over and became expendable, understandable, and a good opportunity became available at a school that seems to value athletic success.

Top Bottom