STrib: Amir Coffey keeps making Gophers proud as his stock rises in NBA with L.A. Clippers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Amir Coffey's lasting legacy with Gophers basketball is being that local high school star who made it cool again to be a hometown hero.

A few years later, Coffey continues to represent his state as the face of the Gophers in the NBA.

A fourth-year guard for the Los Angeles Clippers, Coffey's started the NBA preseason strong this October. He has picked up where he left off last season when he produced career-high numbers.

The Clippers, who host Coffey's hometown Timberwolves on Sunday in L.A., have given the ex-Gophers standout opportunities so far in preseason, even with the return of stars Paul George and Kawhi Leonard from injuries.

The Hopkins product averaged 9.0 points and shot 38% from three-point range with 30 starts in 2021-22. His 15-point effort on Monday to lead the Clippers against Portland was a sign his confidence continues to soar.

This year Coffey went from a two-way contract player to earning a standard NBA deal: a three-year, $11 million contract signed in June.

"It's a dream come true," Coffey told the Star Tribune earlier. "Just playing in the league and doing something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid. Just putting all that work in and having it pay off is a good feeling."

Coffey's success story helps second-year Gophers coach Ben Johnson sell to recruits how they can get to the next level through the same program. Coffey's happy to fill that role for his former coach.

"He was one of the main reasons why I went there," Coffey said about Johnson, who recruited him as a Gophers assistant. "He recruited me since the seventh and eighth grade. Just building that relationship over the years meant a lot. I'm excited for him. I'm proud of him. And I know he's proud of me."

Go Gophers!!

Coffey is better than anything Wisconsin has ever produced for the NBA.

Kudos to him. He's evidently has put in the time and effort.

Coffey was playing out of position with the Gophers. Only made sense that he'd need a little time to figure out how he fit on an NBA roster. Doesn't hurt that injuries helped him out as far as opportunities go. But anyone who watched Coffey during his time with the Gophers knew that he had the skill to play at the next level.

Michael Finely disagrees. As does Devin Harris, and I’m sure others, I hate having to defend them, but weird post even if sarcastic.

Go Gophers!!
Oh yeah, we really have to twist guys' arms to defend Wisconsin on here.

Yeah Harris was decent/good...if you go back 20 years. Finley was good if you go back 30 years.

I guess we could try to tout Bobby Jackson in the Nolan Winter thread.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, we

Oh yeah, we really have to twist guys' arms to defend Wisconsin on here.

Yeah Harris was decent/good...if you go back 20 years. Finley was good if you go back 30 years.

I guess we could try to tout Bobby Jackson in the Nolan Winter thread.
You already lost that argument in the Winter thread by ignoring reality. Please don’t rehash it here, no one enjoyed it.

You already lost that argument in the Winter thread by ignoring reality. Please don’t rehash it here, no one enjoyed it.
LOL. I actually want Wisconsin (and the rest of the Big Ten) to win in the non-conference. I look at things rationally, not over-emotionally or anti-Wisconsin.

But the closeted WI fans in the Winter thread were over-the-top.

Apparently he’s buried on the depth chart still. Maybe he’s loyal to the Clippers or had few other opportunities, but I’m surprised he stayed in LA with his deep their roster is at the guard/wing position.

Apparently he’s buried on the depth chart still. Maybe he’s loyal to the Clippers or had few other opportunities, but I’m surprised he stayed in LA with his deep their roster is at the guard/wing position.
Got a chance for a ring though! Clippers are gonna be a good team, he’s getting paid 11 mil, he has familiarity with the system, and a chance to compete and continue to grow his game.

Or maybe he just likes the city of LA lol

Top Bottom