STrib: Ahmad Gilbert's fire brings big value to Gophers, Pitino says

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

One possession after Dupree McBrayer landed a three-pointer to cut Minnesota's deficit to five in the second half of an ultimate 75-71 loss at Iowa on Sunday, freshman Ahmad Gilbert was called for a foul on the Hawkeyes' Jarrod Uthoff and was not happy about it.

"I thought he was going to fight the ref," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Monday night on his weekly radio show on 1500-a.m. "I'm surprised he didn't get a technical because he was way too emotional on that."

But while Pitino certainly doesn't condone attacking officials (Gilbert never got that far, of course), he doesn't hate the place that Gilbert's fire came from. His assessment of Gilbert's biggest value to the team was one of the more interesting bits to come out of the radio show this week.

"JR [Gilbert] comes in the game and he's got spirit and he fights," Pitino said. "That's why started playing him. That's why I started putting him in that starting lineup [before he was injured]."

http://www.startribune.com/gilbert-s-fire-brings-big-value-pitino-says/368973561/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom