STrib: 2010 Mr. Football Finalists Announced

This award continues to be somewhat misleading. No Tommy Olson? Three-year starter. Plays both ways. Team in the State Tournament yet again. #1 recruit out of Minnesota. Did he have an MSHSL violation that DQ'd him? Otherwise, it would seem that his lack of inclusion devalues this list.

That's nothing new with this award Stan.

Last year Henderson didn't win it and he was by far the best player on the best team in the state. He was also a top 3 player in the country.

Last year Henderson didn't win it and he was by far the best player on the best team in the state. He was also a top 3 player in the country.

Nuh-uh. He wasn't even the best lineman on his own team. Just ask Rosemountian.

Guess I could have quoted the entire press release:
"Here is a press release on this year's Mr. Football award:

The 10 finalists for the 2010 Mr. Football Award in alphabetical order are:

Joe Bjorklund, Rosemount, O-Line, South Suburban Conference
Reggie Gandy, DeLaSalle, RB, Tri-Metro Conference
Jordan Hayes, Brainerd, RB, Central Lakes Conference
Eric Kline, Blaine, QB, Northwest Suburban Conference
Dillon Olson, RB, Goodridge/Grygla-Gatzke, Top of the State Conference
Colby Salonek, LB, Springfield, Southern Minnesota Conference
Ayrton Scott, QB, Minneapolis Southwest, MPLS City Conference
Dylan Ulferts, WR, Shakopee, Missota Conference
Frank Veldman, S, Eastview, South Suburban Conference
Peter Westerhaus, LB, Holy Family, Minnesota River

The 2010 Minnesota Mr. Football Award winner will be named at the Mr. Football banquet on Sunday, December 19th at 12:00 PM at the Doubletree Hotel in St. Louis Park, MN.

Previous winners were:
2009 - Zach Vraa, Rosemount
2008 - Varmah Sonie, Apple Valley
2007 - Michael Floyd, Cretin-Derham Hall
2006 - Blake Sorensen, Eden Prairie
2005 - Matt Carufel, Cretin-Derham Hall
2004 - Nick Mertens, East Grand Forks

Sponsored by the Minnesota Football Coaches Association (MFCA) and the Minnesota Vikings.

Award Criteria:
Graduating senior.
Head Coach of all nominees must be a current member of the MFCA.
Nominee must not have any MSHSL violations.
Each player must be nominated by their conference/MFCA representative.
1. Class 5A and 4A conferences will be allowed to nominate two players, if need be.
2. Class 3A, 2A, 1A and 9 man conferences will nominate one player.
3. Independent schools will be classified as "one conference"

I'm Looking forward to watching these five guys at the dome this weekend, particularly Westerhaus.

Joe Bjorklund, Rosemount, O-Line, South Suburban Conference
Reggie Gandy, DeLaSalle, RB, Tri-Metro Conference
Jordan Hayes, Brainerd, RB, Central Lakes Conference
Dillon Olson, RB, Goodridge/Grygla-Gatzke, Top of the State Conference
Peter Westerhaus, LB, Holy Family, Minnesota River

I've only seen Gandy play twice and he was very impressive to me. I am not sure what his measureables are but he made nice cuts had good vision and just seemed like a natural runner. I am shocked that he doesn't have any real big offers yet (I think they are only dakotas and UNI).

Has anyone else seen him play a few times that might have some insight into why this might be?

As I track our top players in the state, I thought I would provide information that I have pulled together on the players.

Joe Bjorklund,6’5 280, Rosemount, O-Line, South Suburban Conference - Received offer from NDSU. Two year starter for Rosemount. Anchors line that has rolled up over 3000 yards in rushing yards.

Reggie Gandy, 5’11 185 DeLaSalle, RB, Tri-Metro Conference - Has offers from Northern Iowa, NDSU, and UND and interest from Ivy League schools and a few Big Ten schools. In 12 games, has 278carries for 2839 yards for 236 yards per game and 10.2 ypc and 38 TDs. Best game is 36 carries for 412 yards against undefeated Breck. Has a 3.1 GPA. Star Tribune reported Gandy has a squatted 600 pounds and bench press 335 pounds. As a junior, had 137 carries for 1340 yards for 9.8 ypc and 24 TDs.

Jordan Hayes, Brainerd, RB, Central Lakes Conference - In 12 games, has 1370 yards rushing and 16 TDs.

Eric Kline, Blaine, 6’4 195, QB, Northwest Suburban Conference - Has taken an unofficial visit to Minnesota. Is being recruited by NDSU, SDSU, and UND. In 11 games for 10-1 Blaine, completed 156 of 211 passes (74%) for 2002 yards and 10 TDs. Rushed for 1086 yards on 242 carries for 24 TDs. Best passing game was 13 of 15 for 347 yards against Coon Rapids. Best rushing games was 32 carries for 189 yards against a tough Champlin Park defense. As a junior, completed 71% of passes by completing 170 of 240 for 1658 yards and 16 TDs against 3 INTs.

Dillon Olson,5’11 185 RB, Goodridge/Grygla-Gatzke, Top of the State Conference - Has rushed for over 2000 yards and 30 TDs. Rushed for 301 yards in State quarterfinals. Conference MVP Running Back.

Colby Salonek, 6’3 215, LB, Springfield, Southern Minnesota Conference - Rushed for 1,227 yards for 17 TDs. (Couldn’t locate defensive stats.)

Ayrton Scott, 5’11 190, QB, Minneapolis Southwest, MPLS City Conference - Visited Iowa State on an unofficial visit. Duel threat quarterback for 6-3 Minneapolis Southwest. In 9 games, completed 105 of 205 passes (51%) for 2138 yards and 22 TDs. Rushed for 1042 yards on 119 carries for 8.8 ypc. Best performances are passing for 403 yards against Minneapolis North and rushing for 154 yards against Minneapolis Washburn. As a junior completed 104 of 168 passes (62%) for 1765 yards and 10 TDs. Had 98 carries for 754 yards and 8.7 ypc.

Dylan Ulferts, 6’2 180, WR, Shakopee, Missota Conference - In 9 games for 8-1 Shakopee, has 50 receptions for 820 yards for 16.4 ypc and 11 TDs. Had 50 carries for 509 yards and 10.2 ypc and 6 TDs. Missota All Conference.

Frank Veldman, 6’4 200, S, Eastview, South Suburban Conference - Has offers from Northern Illinois, NDSU, South Dakota and Southern Illinois. Named 2010 South Surburban Conference Defensive Player of the Year. Had 97 tackles (74 solo), 2 interceptions, 3 caused fumbles, 1 recovered fumble, and 2 passes broken up. On offense, had 16 receptions for 439 yards for 27.4 ypc and 7 TDs. Preseason Player to Watch. All-Conference selection. As a junior, had 85 tackles and was All-Conference. In 2010 as a punter, had 31 punts with a 41.2 average.

Peter Westerhaus, 6’4 225, LB, Holy Family, Minnesota River - Committed to Minnesota. In 12 games, has 126 tackles (50 solo), 3 sacks, and 1 blocked punt. Has 45 receptions for 748 yards and 9 TDs. Other confirmed offer was from Iowa State. Had a 121 tackles his junior year. Has a 3.7 GPA.

Nuh-uh. He wasn't even the best lineman on his own team. Just ask Rosemountian.

He was by far the best prospect on the best team in the state. CDH was forced to run to the other side against teams like Eagan and Eastview in the playoffs because he was getting his butt kicked.

It was possibly laziness on his part. I did not think he was the best prospect in the country. Looks like he is putting things together down at Miami, good for him.

My stance all along was that I would take him in a second because of all of his potential, but unless he changed his attitude, he would not be a great college player. In high school he was lazy in the run game, didn't finish his blocks. Looks like he is figuring it out at Miami. He was always lock down in the pass game, but so were a couple of other linemen on CDH last year, who happened to actually give max effort in the run game. I still maintain that SH was not the best O-line guy on CDH last year. If you ask coach Sutton (eagan) or Coach Sherwin (eastview) they will probably tell you the same exact thing.

This award continues to be somewhat misleading. No Tommy Olson? Three-year starter. Plays both ways. Team in the State Tournament yet again. #1 recruit out of Minnesota. Did he have an MSHSL violation that DQ'd him? Otherwise, it would seem that his lack of inclusion devalues this list.

His coach may not be a member. Which is a qualification.

Is that linebacker from STA good enough to play D1? Saw the Strib said he might be the best overall player in 4A.

I couldn't help but notice that this runs counter to your earlier assertion.

Which one? I never said he wasn't the best prospect in the state. I said he was not the best player in the state. There is a difference between prospects and players.

He was by far the best prospect on the best team in the state. CDH was forced to run to the other side against teams like Eagan and Eastview in the playoffs because he was getting his butt kicked.

It was possibly laziness on his part. I did not think he was the best prospect in the country. Looks like he is putting things together down at Miami, good for him.

My stance all along was that I would take him in a second because of all of his potential, but unless he changed his attitude, he would not be a great college player. In high school he was lazy in the run game, didn't finish his blocks. Looks like he is figuring it out at Miami. He was always lock down in the pass game, but so were a couple of other linemen on CDH last year, who happened to actually give max effort in the run game. I still maintain that SH was not the best O-line guy on CDH last year. If you ask coach Sutton (eagan) or Coach Sherwin (eastview) they will probably tell you the same exact thing.

As a member of that Eagan team, I can tell you he wasn't getting his butt kicked. They ran the other way so Seantrel could pull and could not be neutralized as easily. And unfortunately, it worked pretty well for them.
________
Toyota revo history

The Cretin offense was stagnant in that game. They scored on a busted coverage and a short field. They couldn't really move the ball consistently all night. If you were really on that Eagan team, you don't give yourself enough credit.

I agree that they didn't move the ball well but I hardly would blame Henderson. Alt missed much of the game and their starting RB was injured on the first play of the game.
________
HERBAL GRINDER

I find it absolutely sick that every profile from these kids states they are being recruited by junk college programs.

I blame the coaches of these teams for not marketing their talents to D1 BCS level college programs.

This is why Minnesota will remain a pit hole in HS football. Sure Seantrel went to USC, then Miami, but I am sure his family took the initiative to promote him.

Sick

Top Bottom