STrib: 10 things you should know about this all-important fball search

I disagree with a lot of this article most notably that guys like Randy Edsall and Ken Niumatalolo are ready to coach the Gophers. I also disagree that Brewster will be leaving a bare cupboard. The new coach will have two QB's in Gray and Alipate that played in H.S. All Star games, a number of young Olineman including Gjere and the Olson brothers, Mcknight at WR and Lair at TE. On defense, the team has more players offered by other high major schools than at any point in recent memory: Edwards, Kirksey, Hageman, Garin, Cooper, Reeves, Beal, Carter, and Manuel. I certainly am not saying that all of these guys will live up to their high school reputations, but the cupboard is certainly not bare on paper. I would say the coach would likely be somewhat concerned about the '10 and '11 classes.

They need someone who is going to come in here and lay down the law.
The program needs an authority figure to take charge.

I also disagree that Brewster will be leaving a bare cupboard. The new coach will have two QB's in Gray and Alipate that played in H.S. All Star games, a number of young Olineman including Gjere and the Olson brothers, Mcknight at WR and Lair at TE. On defense, the team has more players offered by other high major schools than at any point in recent memory: Edwards, Kirksey, Hageman, Garin, Cooper, Reeves, Beal, Carter, and Manuel. I certainly am not saying that all of these guys will live up to their high school reputations, but the cupboard is certainly not bare on paper. I would say the coach would likely be somewhat concerned about the '10 and '11 classes.

I agree that the cupboard will not be bare. These players have some talent, they just had the disadvantange of deciding to play for one of the most overmatched and without question worst head coaches ever in college football history, who also had a questionable staff of assitants.

A competent coach will pull someting from the players who choose to return for next year.

Thankfully the nightmare ended two weeks ago.

Saying that this is at the expense of the non-revenue sports is flat out wrong. This is an investment in your biggest source of income, an investment that should bring back returns. Hiring the right coach will help the non-rev's.

I seriously think if a coach can come in here and create schemes to fit the athletes we have here now, immediate success is possible. The cupboard isn't bare, it's just a mess of misplaced and disorganized items.
Imagine an offense based around the things we can actually do well.
Letting Gray use his athleticism, Mcknight his jumping ability, Allen his quicks, Stoudemire(yes he was misused on O)in end around, option and quick screen plays. Combine that with the young and athletic run blocking Oline we have coming up through the ranks. There IS a scheme that can be made to fit what we have now.
Then the D, oh boy, have they been misused and put in bad spots.
Here's an idea, ATTACK THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE once in awhile. Tinsley, Cooper, Collado and others have shown the ability to do this in the past, but we don't see it. Then you have a bunch of players in and out of the secondary starting lineup, no chemistry can be built that way.

Design and execute schemes that put these athletes in position to develop into football players and teach them fundamentals to go with said scheme: recipe for success.
Now let's get the coach.

I think that the raw athletic ability is there, judging that statement based on recruiting rankings and the input from Mike Sherels from what he saw in the difference between Mase and Brew recruits. I think this is a situation where the right coach can have a decent year next year (bowl game) and build quickly going forward.

I seriously think if a coach can come in here and create schemes to fit the athletes we have here now, immediate success is possible. The cupboard isn't bare, it's just a mess of misplaced and disorganized items.

Agree.

Edit: I meant this post as a reply to Ole's, but hit the wrong "reply" button. Oops.

You raise a good point. The cupboard was pretty bare when Mason left, especially at skill positions (except for Decker). Four years later, the team is a much bigger mess. Arguably, the quality of football players that the new coach will inherit is way down. But if anything, the quality of athletes that he'll have to work with is much better, particularly on defense.

It all comes down to coaching up players and putting in schemes that play to their strengths, as you point out. Brewster and his staff get a giant FAIL on both of these. Mason was a wastoid when it came to recruiting, but he and his staff (I hate to admit I'm paying Gordy a complement) excelled at getting marginal talent to overachieve. Bring in the right coach, and he does have some raw materials to work with. He'll have to make up for lost time, as a lot of these guys have received zero, zilch, nada worthwhile coaching in the last few years. Especially on offense after the Jedd Fisch killshot hire.

Like others, I disagree with a lot in that Strib article. One thing I think was missing is that the new coach needs to excite the fanbase, as well as the public at large. We bring to bring in a guy with name recognition and some charisma who can charm the heck out of anyone and everyone. And in particular our jackwagon local media.

I think the next coach will have more to work with than people realize. Lets use a cooking analogy. A good chef can make a pretty good meal out of second-best ingredients. But a bad chef can make an inedible mess even if he has the finest ingredients. Now, when you're eating that glop, you may wonder whether it was all bad cooking, or whether the ingredients were bad too, it's hard to tell. But while the ratings of Brewster's recruiting classes wasn't what people hoped, they weren't terrible either.

Top Bottom