Strategy Question

tjgopher

Reaction score
We scored with 5:22 left in the third quarter to make it 14-9. I was yelling at the TV to go for the two-point conversion so a FG would tie it (assuming we make the 2pts). If we miss the 2-pt, we still need to score a TD either way to win. I know it is a little early to try for two, but did anyone else think we should have? Had we done that and made it, then Ellestad's FG later in the quarter ties it and its a whole different 4th quarter.

It isn't 2nd guessing, because I was yelling for the two before we kicked it.

But, that doesn't mean I was right. Should we have gone for two at that point? I'm interested in what other arm chair coaches think....

My philosophy has always been don't chase. Especially before the 4th quarter. Once it hits the 7-8 minute mark in the 4th then it becomes a fairly sound decision.

I don't go for the two there, but neither would I rip a coach for seeing it that way, especially if comfortable that his defense would put the shackles on the other team. Trouble is, if you don't make the two, then they score a FG, you MUST try and make another two. Or, if they score a TD and PAT then you're three scores out.

5 minutes to go in the third is WAY to early to start thinking like that. You simply end up out-smarting yourself.

Agreed, too early to go for two...now on the last play of regulation circa Monday Night??? In hindsight it's not fair, but I was thinking that a quick pop run, if the vikes score, for the two point after the catch could've caught the Bears on their heels...wrong forum for that conversation...

I also agree that going for 2 with 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter is too early.

No can do...

Most coaches follow "the book". There's a sheet I vividly recall that my college coach had that basically illustrates that for every deficit/lead, at any particular minute mark of the game, this is what you should do. I believe most coaches have that and abide by it fairly closely for the most part.

Long story short, you always take the points until the fourth quarter at the least. I think anything under 12 minutes left or so, Brew may have gone for it.

You kick the extra point

Asking our offense to gain 3 yards in one try is less than 1 in 10.

Top Bottom