Stoudermire Nears Return Mark

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
From Phil Miller/startribune:

"Troy Stoudermire is finally on the verge of winning a race he's been running for four years.

The Gophers senior cornerback returned three kickoffs against Southern California on Saturday -- all in the first half -- allowing him to move within one decent broken-tackle romp from the record for most kickoff return yardage in Big Ten history.

"I can't wait. I'm excited," Stoudermire said. "It's a big deal to me, because I've been working really hard for it."

Stoudermire took the game's opening kickoff 25 yards, one of three first-half returns that totaled 72 yards. That gives him 3,001 yards for his career at Minnesota, making him only the second Big Ten player ever to cross that plateau. But he didn't get another chance to return a kick, since USC never scored in the second half.

The conference record is held by Wisconsin returner and Armstrong graduate David Gilreath, who passed the honor back and forth with Stoudermire last season before finishing the season in front by 96 yards, with 3,025 yards overall. But Gilreath graduated, leaving Stoudermire with aspirations to take the top spot by himself this season."

Full article: Stoudermire Nears Return Mark

Wouldn't it be fun if he broke the first kick Saturday for a TD???

Really happy for Troy, and proud of him, too. Unfortunately, this record is also a product of how bad our defense has been during his career.

Really happy for Troy, and proud of him, too. Unfortunately, this record is also a product of how bad our defense has been during his career.

While Troy is a great return man I agree- it really is a record that should be dedicated to our defensive incompetence

the record would better be served if it was yards per return rather than total yards so he wasn't making a thousand returns to get the record.

the record would better be served if it was yards per return rather than total yards so he wasn't making a thousand returns to get the record.

OK, would it help you to appreciate this NCAA RECORD BY A MINNESOTA GOPHER FOOTBALL PLAYER if I told you he holds the Minnesota record for average yards by a Freshman and as a Junior?

Would it help if I told you he has the 3rd, 10th, and 11th best return averages per season of ALL-TIME at Minnesota? Bobby Weber, Lawrence Maroney, and Sandy F'in Stephens are on that list.

Would it help if I told you that his EXCELLENT career average of 25.7 yards per return is SECOND ALL TIME at Minnesota behind Jakari Wallace and ahead of players like Bobby Weber, Tutu Atwell, and Lawrence F'in Maroney?

Holy crap! This is an NCCA record.

I used the all caps because I was yelling.

I really would love to see him break one. (a TD that is ;) )

I'm calling it now.. We'll see this happen this Saturday.

I'm with you, on his first return--TD and record. Boom, there goes the dynamite.

Top Bottom