Stop Having Final 4's In Cavernous Arenas!

LesBolstad

Reaction score
The cameras are so far away it makes it look like the court is 20 feet wide and distorted. It also contributes to the poor shooting we saw last night. It's difficult to shoot in that environment. 75K in that stadium for a BB game? What a joke. There might have been 10K decent seats in that arena.

I've only been to one bb game in a dome, Midwest regional in the Metrodome, 1990 something. Horrible. Glad I went but once was enough. Never again.

Money talks. It will rotate between Houston, Dallas, Indy, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Detroit for years to come.

Domes

The cameras are so far away it makes it look like the court is 20 feet wide and distorted. It also contributes to the poor shooting we saw last night. It's difficult to shoot in that environment. 75K in that stadium for a BB game? What a joke. There might have been 10K decent seats in that arena.

Umm, good luck with that.

However, I do have to question the wisdom of having pre-Final 4 games in Domes. The last 3 times I've been to NCAA games in Domes (2006 Regional @ Metrodome, 2009 Rounds of 64 & 32 @ Metrodome, & 2011 Regional @ Alamodome) none of the games had more than 18,000 fannies in the seats. In San Antonio the announced attendence wasn't even 15,000.

Umm, good luck with that.

However, I do have to question the wisdom of having pre-Final 4 games in Domes. The last 3 times I've been to NCAA games in Domes (2006 Regional @ Metrodome, 2009 Rounds of 64 & 32 @ Metrodome, & 2011 Regional @ Alamodome) none of the games had more than 18,000 fannies in the seats. In San Antonio the announced attendence wasn't even 15,000.

Minneapolis Regionals in 2003 and 2006 had between 30-35k per game. Normal arenas cannot accomodate that kind of crowd. Doesnt make sense to have a game in a 17,000 seat arena if demand calls for 35k. As I recall, Dwayne Wade had no trouble scoring in the dome!!

Metrodome 2006

Minneapolis Regionals in 2003 and 2006 had between 30-35k per game. Normal arenas cannot accomodate that kind of crowd. Doesnt make sense to have a game in a 17,000 seat arena if demand calls for 35k. As I recall, Dwayne Wade had no trouble scoring in the dome!!

I was only slightly off on 2006, attendence was 21,000. I think you could fit that many in Target Center.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/boxscores/2006/03/26/37633_boxscore.html

Target center cap 20,500. I wonder though if they count the media. In the FF there is a lot more media than other games and thus more area for them to do whatever it is they do...

I was only slightly off on 2006, attendence was 21,000. I think you could fit that many in Target Center.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/boxscores/2006/03/26/37633_boxscore.html

That was more a case of poor seeding and no teams from the Midwest in that which could draw bigger crowds. Villanova, BC, Georgetown and Florida that year. Not good for drawing crowds to Minneapolis but we still got 22,000 per session which is 3-4k more than the Target Center could hold for that event. In 2003 we had a more regional Regional with Marquette and Wisconsin making it here. This brought a crowd of closer to 30,000 for each session. Something no arena would be able to hold, and a reason we were able to host and get all that money pumped into our economy and our University to make some extra cash, even if it was a small amount.

Metrodome Not That Bad...

At least the Metrodome has the temp. seating behing both baskets and side so camera is closer and there is a backdrop for the shooters.

The Houston setup was atrocious; and Detroit's not much better.

I don't mind the big stadiums, but move the cameras up one deck! I don't like having the cameras at eye level with the playing floor.

Domes

That was more a case of poor seeding and no teams from the Midwest in that which could draw bigger crowds. Villanova, BC, Georgetown and Florida that year. Not good for drawing crowds to Minneapolis but we still got 22,000 per session which is 3-4k more than the Target Center could hold for that event. In 2003 we had a more regional Regional with Marquette and Wisconsin making it here. This brought a crowd of closer to 30,000 for each session. Something no arena would be able to hold, and a reason we were able to host and get all that money pumped into our economy and our University to make some extra cash, even if it was a small amount.

All that's true which is kind of my point. Regionals can't rely on having teams within close proximity and large followings advancing that far, it's too much of a hit and miss proposition and/or can produce a competitive disadvantage.

Top Bottom