@Illinois
@Maryland
*Eron Harris out for season.

Minnesota
@Maryland
Penn State
Nebraska
@Wisconsin

We hold a tiebreaker over NW. Michigan State holds a tiebreaker over both us and NW. In this scenario, we need to finish one game better than both teams, in the last 4 games in order to get that double buy. If we go 2-2, both teams must go 1-3 or worse. If we go 3-1, both teams must go 2-2 or worse. In the unlikely event we go 4-0 I think we would be a lock for that spot.

MSU losing Harris will hurt, but they still have Alvin Ellis and Langford to pick up those minutes. I think MSU goes 2-2, but not sure I see NW losing 3 games. If they win two, we need to win three, right?

MSU losing Harris will hurt, but they still have Alvin Ellis and Langford to pick up those minutes. I think MSU goes 2-2, but not sure I see NW losing 3 games. If they win two, we need to win three, right?

Yep, if NW wins 2 and we win 3, we will finished tied in the standings and we hold a tiebreaker over themm

Well we'll need to be at our best. Hopefully we can continue to get better with the little things and play a complete game.

Go 3-1 in the last four and we are the 4th seed.

Well...

If the Gophers go 4-0, and a ton of other stuff happens (it is possible per the link above) the Gophers are the #1 seed!!

Here are the needed outcomes...I do not have the time to sort through games that don't matter or other possibilities. This is the first path I found that got them to #1

Feb 21-23
Indiana beats Iowa
Northwestern beats Illinois
Penn State beats Purdue
Minnesota beats Maryland
Michigan beats Rutgers
MSU beats Nebraska
OSU beats Wisconsin

February 25-26
IU beats NW
Iowa beats Maryland
Michigan beats Purdue
Minnesota beats PSU
MSU beats Michigan
Nebraska beats Illinois

February 28-March 2nd
PSU beats OSU
IU beats Purdue
Rutgers beats Maryland
Michigan State beats Illinois
NW beats Michigan
Minnesota beats Nebraska
Iowa beats Wisconsin

March 4-5
NW beats Purdue
Indiana beats OSU
Illinois beats Rutgers
Iowa beats PSU
Maryland beats MSU
Michigan beats Nebraska
Minnesota beats Wisconsin

Well...

If the Gophers go 4-0, and a ton of other stuff happens (it is possible per the link above) the Gophers are the #1 seed!!

Here are the needed outcomes...I do not have the time to sort through games that don't matter or other possibilities. This is the first path I found that got them to #1

Feb 21-23
Indiana beats Iowa
Northwestern beats Illinois
Penn State beats Purdue
Minnesota beats Maryland
Michigan beats Rutgers
MSU beats Nebraska
OSU beats Wisconsin

February 25-26
IU beats NW
Iowa beats Maryland
Michigan beats Purdue
Minnesota beats PSU
MSU beats Michigan
Nebraska beats Illinois

February 28-March 2nd
PSU beats OSU
IU beats Purdue
Rutgers beats Maryland
Michigan State beats Illinois
NW beats Michigan
Minnesota beats Nebraska
Iowa beats Wisconsin

March 4-5
NW beats Purdue
Indiana beats OSU
Illinois beats Rutgers
Iowa beats PSU
Maryland beats MSU
Michigan beats Nebraska
Minnesota beats Wisconsin

Think the key in that whole matrix is Gophers 4-0. I could care less if we are the #1 seed or not in the Big Ten Tournament but it would be awesome to get one of those top 4 spots.

12-6 in the Big Ten would be awesome. I think it is unlikely, but it would be cool, regardless of how high of a seed we get in the BTT. Top 4 is nice for a variety of reasons though.

If we beat Maryland, then the three seed becomes a reasonable possibility. That said, I think we'll end up at 10-8 with no double bye.

Northwestern about to lose @Illinois.

Good boost to MN's chances at the double bye. Northwestern's last three games are all toss-ups at best, given opponent and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinois taking down NW. Certainly helps our chances. MSU has a tough schedule down the stretch......and Harris being out doesn't help. NW with a trip to Bloomington, a game against an improving Michigan team, and finally a very good Purdue team.....they could very well end 1-3 or 0-4 in their last games. We could possibly grab the 4th seed going 2-2.....with games that we should be favored in (home against PSU and Nebraska).

DoeS Northwestern miss the NCAA tourney if they lose the rest of their games?

Michigan, Minnesota, and Michigan State may end up in a 3 way tie

Who wins that?

I think The wildcats lose out in the regular season.

Michigan, Minnesota, and Michigan State may end up in a 3 way tie

Who wins that?

I think The wildcats lose out in the regular season.

MSU wins the tiebreaker over us and we win it over Michigan. MSU and Michigan split their 2 games.

DoeS Northwestern miss the NCAA tourney if they lose the rest of their games?

They could be out of they close out with 3 more losses. They've already lost 4 of 6. RPI: 38, SOS: 79. It feels like they need one more win.

They could be out of they close out with 3 more losses. They've already lost 4 of 6. RPI: 38, SOS: 79. It feels like they need one more win.

Not unrealistic considering their schedule.

Gophs likely need to finish 11-7 for the double bye - tall order with road trips to the beltway and madison.

Not unrealistic considering their schedule.

Gophs likely need to finish 11-7 for the double bye - tall order with road trips to the beltway and madison.

NW finishes...

@ Indiana
Michigan
Purdue

They could easily lose all 3.

Currently, Gophers are sitting at #4.

MSU still lurking out there though they have a tough schedule. Going by BPI as of right now (I know, not perfect, but it's at least a measure of comparison) we should be favored for a top-4 seed:

MSU
W vs Nebraska (82.3% chance of winning)
L vs Wisconsin (34.2%)
L @ Illinois (42.7%)
L @ Maryland (29.5%)

Northwestern
L @ Indiana (28.2%)
L vs Michigan (46.8%)
L vs Purdue (27.6%)

Minnesota
W vs Penn State (85.6%)
W vs Nebraska (85.5%)
L @ Wisconsin (17.2%)

If the chalk from above holds, Minnesota finishes 11-7 and gets the fourth seed, MSU finishes 9-9, Northwestern finishes 9-9.

You have to wonder if NW loses the next 3 if they make the Tourney

You have to wonder if NW loses the next 3 if they make the Tourney

That would be a bitch! Can't see them not making it.

IF Northwestern loses their last three there's a very real possibility they'll be the seventh seed in the tournament, falling behind Michigan. If they lose their opening BTT game in that scenario I think they'd be seriously considered to be out. 20-12, middling RPI, middling Ken Pom, 2-8 in their last 10. They can hang their hat on the Wisconsin win but that's probably not enough to push them over the edge.

It's a really soft bubble this year, though, so who knows...

MSU still lurking out there though they have a tough schedule. Going by BPI as of right now (I know, not perfect, but it's at least a measure of comparison) we should be favored for a top-4 seed:

MSU
W vs Nebraska (82.3% chance of winning)
L vs Wisconsin (34.2%)
L @ Illinois (42.7%)
L @ Maryland (29.5%)

Northwestern
L @ Indiana (28.2%)
L vs Michigan (46.8%)
L vs Purdue (27.6%)

Minnesota
W vs Penn State (85.6%)
W vs Nebraska (85.5%)
L @ Wisconsin (17.2%)

If the chalk from above holds, Minnesota finishes 11-7 and gets the fourth seed, MSU finishes 9-9, Northwestern finishes 9-9.

11-7...

I've never seen that in my tenure of being a Gopher diehard.

What a great time to be alive.

Top Bottom