Stay classy Barry

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
From Joe Christensen's blog this morning:

Bonus edition: Gophers QB recruit Chris Streveler
Wisconsin recruited Streveler, too.
“I committed [to Minnesota] on a Friday night, and I was supposed to go to a camp [at Wisconsin] on that Monday, but they didn’t seem very serious about it," Streveler said. "And I guess once I committed, they made a push to try to get me up there, through my coach. I told my coach, ‘Once I commit, I’m going to stay solid. I’m going to think it through, and I’m going to make one decision. I couldn’t be happier with the decision I made.”

And here is a comment from December:

"Alvarez also said he asked the UW coaches who have accepted jobs elsewhere avoid recruiting any players committed to UW."

Do as I say, not as I do, right Barry?

What is that? Like avoid it or you might have trouble finding work in the future?

From Joe Christensen's blog this morning:

Bonus edition: Gophers QB recruit Chris Streveler
Wisconsin recruited Streveler, too.
“I committed [to Minnesota] on a Friday night, and I was supposed to go to a camp [at Wisconsin] on that Monday, but they didn’t seem very serious about it," Streveler said. "And I guess once I committed, they made a push to try to get me up there, through my coach. I told my coach, ‘Once I commit, I’m going to stay solid. I’m going to think it through, and I’m going to make one decision. I couldn’t be happier with the decision I made.”

And here is a comment from December:

"Alvarez also said he asked the UW coaches who have accepted jobs elsewhere avoid recruiting any players committed to UW."

Do as I say, not as I do, right Barry?

Thse two situations are not analagous. The coaches to whom he mad this request were sill employed by, working for, and paid by the UW at the time. He didn't ask Bielema to stop recruiting players committed to UW.

Thse two situations are not analagous. The coaches to whom he mad this request were sill employed by, working for, and paid by the UW at the time. He didn't ask Bielema to stop recruiting players committed to UW.

I think you're splitting hairs.

Out of one side of his mouth he is asking coaches that have already accepted jobs elsewhere to keep his hands off recruits committed to wisky, and out of the other side of his mouth he is actively recruiting and condoning recruiting an athlete committed to another school.

Hypocritical move.

Wisconsin's athletic director was pushing to get Streveler into summer camp?

I think you're splitting hairs.

Out of one side of his mouth he is asking coaches that have already accepted jobs elsewhere to keep his hands off recruits committed to wisky, and out of the other side of his mouth he is actively recruiting and condoning recruiting an athlete committed to another school.

Hypocritical move.

Of course he was. Why wouldn't he ask coaches that were leaving not to try and steal Wisconsin recruits? Thre is nothing he can do to control what those coaches do once they leave but I would think pretty much any AD would make the request if he thought it would help out his incoming head coach retain players.

As for going after guys that are already commited....yeah everyone including the U of M does that. Any staff that says they don't is full of crap, they might not pursue a guy who has verballed to the same level they would go after a non-commited athlete but if they feel there is any chance that continueing to recruit the kid might change his mind they are going to do it because recruiting is a cut throat industry.

Of course he was. Why wouldn't he ask coaches that were leaving not to try and steal Wisconsin recruits? Thre is nothing he can do to control what those coaches do once they leave but I would think pretty much any AD would make the request if he thought it would help out his incoming head coach retain players.

As for going after guys that are already commited....yeah everyone including the U of M does that. Any staff that says they don't is full of crap, they might not pursue a guy who has verballed to the same level they would go after a non-commited athlete but if they feel there is any chance that continueing to recruit the kid might change his mind they are going to do it because recruiting is a cut throat industry.

Agree. The assistant coaches were/are employed by Wiscy thus being paid by Wiscy to bring kids to Wiscy. Trying to get the kids to go to a different school after that is a conflict of interest. That is completely different than recruiting a kid that has verballed to another school. They aren't being paid to respect other schools non-binding commitments.

A different scenario would be if Barry asked Andersen to bring all his recruits with to Wiscy then asked the Wiscy coaches not to poach recruits. That would be hypocritical, but I haven't heard anything like that.

It's business. A guy I managed left a few months ago to pursue a job elsewhere and in the exit interview I asked him not to recruit anyone else on our team and he agreed (he didn't want to burn bridges with me). Conversely, I've had a few people leave (including the aforementioned guy) that I still message from time to time to see if they are interested in coming back. I don't consider it hypocritical at all.

Meh, I imagine it happens all over the place. Of course you would ask them to leave the athletes at their former program. We have seen that any students have a loose definition of committed, coaches wouldn't stop simply because they were told the athletes have committed. I mean, Spearman was committed to Illinois just recently and we must have continued pursuing to get him here on a visit (which is good, I would like to see him as a Gopher). Don't get me wrong, I do not support Barry, but I do not see a problem here.

it's so strange how Madison hates Barry. WI might 'love' him but in the city proper the locals love dumping on the guy.

part of the modern day recruiting landscape. Coaches are hired to win and in order to do it they need to get the best players for their team they can...the U is no different...Michael Carter is a case in point...

part of the modern day recruiting landscape. Coaches are hired to win and in order to do it they need to get the best players for their team they can...the U is no different...Michael Carter is a case in point...

I'm not saying I disagree with coaches continuing to recruit verbally committed players. Every school does it, and should continue to do so. Hell, I love it when we snake a player that is already committed somewhere else, and I hate losing a guy to another school, but I understand it.

I think it's incredibly disingenuous to tell a coach that is leaving your organization to take a hands-off approach to kids committed to your school, but to feel free to poach other commits, because I'll be doing the same...just keep your hands off this batch of cookies, O.K.? The kid is fair game until NSD. Period. Paragraph.

It appears that I'm in the minority, and I'm fine with that, but I'm not changing my mind about it either.

I think it's incredibly disingenuous to tell a coach that is leaving your organization to take a hands-off approach to kids committed to your school, but to feel free to poach other commits, because I'll be doing the same...just keep your hands off this batch of cookies, O.K.? The kid is fair game until NSD. Period. Paragraph.

It appears that I'm in the minority, and I'm fine with that, but I'm not changing my mind about it either.

It doesn't matter what you or I think about think about this. All that matters is what the coach and the recruit thinks. I suspect a lot will depend on whether the recruit's priority is towards the program or towards the coach. Andre McDonald decommitted to Vanderbilt because it was the wide receiver coach that was the attraction and he left.

I'm not saying I disagree with coaches continuing to recruit verbally committed players. Every school does it, and should continue to do so. Hell, I love it when we snake a player that is already committed somewhere else, and I hate losing a guy to another school, but I understand it.

Alvarez or someone can make the request, but he cannot enforce it.

Why not make the request? If it works congratulations! Doubt it works though!

Top Bottom