States with the Largest Exodus of People

Spoofin

Reaction score
Washington and Oregon don’t have forest fires. 🤣😂 Maybe Gavin Newsome is doing something wrong?
Well, he brought up a good point that lots of folks from CA are fleeing to NY to avoid overcrowding and high cost of living 🙄.

• Haha
Reactions: KGF

Wally

Reaction score
Sooo, evidence to this point suggests that you are smarter than what you wrote in the first sentence here. Really.

And the rest... so your argument is that they aren't leaving because of the shitty politics and policies, it's just all of the symptoms/effects of the shitty politics and policies that are causing the mass exodus. That's an interesting distinction....

ecoperson

Reaction score
Sooo, evidence to this point suggests that you are smarter than what you wrote in the first sentence here. Really.

And the rest... so your argument is that they aren't leaving because of the shitty politics and policies, it's just all of the symptoms/effects of the shitty politics and policies that are causing the mass exodus. That's an interesting distinction....
What? I ran off a laundry list of reasons that Californians have been moving. The take home message is that the VAST majority are not running from taxes.

Understanding how the droughts and ensuing fires in CA have been exacerbated by climate change, you are right that national politics and policies ARE then contributing in part to driving the 'exodus' from that state.

ecoperson

Reaction score
Washington and Oregon don’t have forest fires. 🤣😂 Maybe Gavin Newsome is doing something wrong?
Did you read what I wrote or just the first phrase? I offered a partial list of reasons that people might leave CA.

People in CA might have lost their homes to fire and then relocated to WA or OR to be closer to their extended families.

The two statements can be mutually exclusive.
NY? Arizona, Nevada and Texas are more likely destinations.

Catastrophic forest fires? Your monicker gives away your perspective.

Of course more people are going to move to adjoining or nearby states but NY is indeed in the top ten places to relocate for Californians. #8 New York

UT is #10, CO is #6, OR is #5, WA is #4, NV #3, AZ #2, and TX #1. It appears that a large chunk of Californians moving to Texas aim for Austin which has among the highest real estate taxes in the state so their decisions must not be solely driven by taxes as the original poster that I replied to suggested.

Do you want to talk about fires?!

My wife has family on the west coast in all 3 states. Her aunt and uncle were displaced from their home in CA this summer due to the Caldor Fire. We had family that were evacuated from their homes in OR during the Labor Day weekend fires of 2020. All three states have suffered from horrible smoke for months on end over the last few fire seasons. If you want to talk about fires on the west coast, I can do this all day.

OR Labor Day 2020 Fires - if you care to learn more about this weekend that

As for my moniker, you shouldn't be so quick to judge people. If I took the same attitude, I might assume that you were a proud murderer sitting on death row somewhere.

“I have a dream that we will one day live in a world where posters will not be judged by their moniker but by the content of their character.”

Are you trying to suggest that someone in my field- an ecologist- can't be objective?

ecoperson

Reaction score
Well, he brought up a good point that lots of folks from CA are fleeing to NY to avoid overcrowding and high cost of living 🙄.
The original poster suggested that the Californian exodus was driven by the pursuit of lower taxes. That Californians relocate to NY at a high rate suggests this isn't a deterrent.

KGF

Reaction score
Did you read what I wrote or just the first phrase? I offered a partial list of reasons that people might leave CA.

People in CA might have lost their homes to fire and then relocated to WA or OR to be closer to their extended families.

The two statements can be mutually exclusive.
I’m just poking some fun at you by pointing out that leaving CA to move to OR or WA to avoid fires isn’t a reason.
Of course more people are going to move to adjoining or nearby states but NY is indeed in the top ten places to relocate for Californians. #8 New York
California and NY are two very large states, and LA-SF and NYC 3 of the largest cities in the US. Of course they’re going to have larger numbers of people moving between them.
UT is #10, CO is #6, OR is #5, WA is #4, NV #3, AZ #2, and TX #1. It appears that a large chunk of Californians moving to Texas aim for Austin which has among the highest real estate taxes in the state so their decisions must not be solely driven by taxes as the original poster that I replied to suggested.

Do you want to talk about fires?!

My wife has family on the west coast in all 3 states. Her aunt and uncle were displaced from their home in CA this summer due to the Caldor Fire. We had family that were evacuated from their homes in OR during the Labor Day weekend fires of 2020. All three states have suffered from horrible smoke for months on end over the last few fire seasons. If you want to talk about fires on the west coast, I can do this all day.

OR Labor Day 2020 Fires - if you care to learn more about this weekend that

As for my moniker, you shouldn't be so quick to judge people. If I took the same attitude, I might assume that you were a proud murderer sitting on death row somewhere.

“I have a dream that we will one day live in a world where posters will not be judged by their moniker but by the content of their character.”

Are you trying to suggest that someone in my field- an ecologist- can't be objective?
Don’t take the monicker talk so personally. I was poking fun again.

I do think I should change (rebrand) my name. It was a play on Jerry Kill. I think I‘m going to do that.

Section2

Reaction score
The original poster suggested that the Californian exodus was driven by the pursuit of lower taxes. That Californians relocate to NY at a high rate suggests this isn't a deterrent.
Personally, I don’t think it’s taxes. It’s the decline of society, crime, homelessness, public drug abuse, crappy government, etc. I’m sure it’s hard to see all that and also pay really high taxes.

stocker08

Reaction score
Right wingers working for an hourly wage cleaning toilets can't afford California. So they move to really cool states like West Virginia and Mississippi. :ROFLMAO:

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Personally, I don’t think it’s taxes. It’s the decline of society, crime, homelessness, public drug abuse, crappy government, etc. I’m sure it’s hard to see all that and also pay really high taxes.
Bingo. This is pretty much what is happening.

Wally

Reaction score

Sure everything plays into it.

Nothing at all to do with the fact that you can sell your home in Cali and move virtually anywhere and upgrade your house for less than 50% of what you sold your Cali home for.

It's pretty much a no brainer to move out of California when you retire, unless you are rich.

Section2

Reaction score
Sure everything plays into it.

Nothing at all to do with the fact that you can sell your home in Cali and move virtually anywhere and upgrade your house for less than 50% of what you sold your Cali home for.

It's pretty much a no brainer to move out of California when you retire, unless you are rich.
Obtuse thinking.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Has there been a California exodus? No, turns out fewer people than usual are moving in.

A new study released Wednesday found no big exodus of people leaving California for other states during the COVID pandemic. But California is still losing population to domestic migration, because fewer people than usual are moving in from other parts of the United States . “Every single county has seen fewer people moving in from out of state since the start of the pandemic,” said the nonpartisan California Policy Lab.

California’s population last year was 39.5 million, up 6.1% from 2010, slower growth than the state saw in the previous decade. Earlier this year, University of California San Diego research found “affluent Californians are the group most satisfied with the direction of the state and very likely to believe that it will be a better place when today’s children grow up.”

And a consortium of UC researchers, trying to learn if there was a “California exodus,” concluded that “there is no evidence of an abnormal increase in residents planning to move out of the state.” UCLA research has found that people 25 to 39 are “moving around at roughly double that of middle-age or older people.” Those moving to other states were most often going to Texas and Washington. Older people were most likely to go to lower-cost Nevada and Arizona.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article256589561.html#storylink=cpy

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score

California Exodus? Growth Rate At Record Low As More People Leave​

But the bigger news from Wednesday’s new population estimate was that 135,600 more people left the state than moved here. It’s only the 12th time since 1900 the state has had a net migration loss, and the third largest ever recorded.

Go4Broke

Reaction score

California Exodus? Growth Rate At Record Low As More People Leave​

But the bigger news from Wednesday’s new population estimate was that 135,600 more people left the state than moved here. It’s only the 12th time since 1900 the state has had a net migration loss, and the third largest ever recorded.

Having a "growth rate at a record low" is not the same thing as losing population. California and Minnesota are among the many states experiencing "stable growth". It seems people are willing to put up with high taxes and progressive politics if the state provides them with a great place to live, support their family, and educate their children. Cali and Minny have been doing it that way for a very long time.

1641916912646.png

California led the nation in overall population in the 2020 count (39,538,223 people), followed by Texas (29,145,505 people), Florida (21,538,187 people), New York (20,201,249 people) and Pennsylvania (13,002,700 people). Wyoming was the least populous state, tallying 576,851 residents.

Last edited:

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Having a "growth rate at a record low" is not the same thing as losing population. California and Minnesota are among the many states experiencing "stable growth". It seems people are willing to put up with high taxes and progressive politics if the state provides them with a great place to live, provide for their family and educate their children. Cali and Minny have been they way they for a very long time.

View attachment 16443

California led the nation in overall population in the 2020 count (39,538,223 people), followed by Texas (29,145,505 people), Florida (21,538,187 people), New York (20,201,249 people) and Pennsylvania (13,002,700 people). Wyoming was the least populous state, tallying 576,851 residents.

You literally cannot read.

135,600 more people left the state than moved here. It’s only the 12th time since 1900 the state has had a net migration loss, and the third largest ever recorded.

Of course births of the people still living there are going to outpace that number. That's not the point. People are currently leaving at one of the highest rates in California history.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
You literally cannot read.

135,600 more people left the state than moved here. It’s only the 12th time since 1900 the state has had a net migration loss, and the third largest ever recorded.

Of course births of the people still living there are going to outpace that number. That's not the point. People are currently leaving at one of the highest rates in California history.

You know I can read. I read yours but I doubt you read mine.

A new study released Wednesday found no big exodus of people leaving California for other states during the COVID pandemic. But California is still losing population to domestic migration, because fewer people than usual are moving in from other parts of the United States . “Every single county has seen fewer people moving in from out of state since the start of the pandemic,” said the nonpartisan California Policy Lab.

And a consortium of UC researchers, trying to learn if there was a “California exodus,” concluded that “there is no evidence of an abnormal increase in residents planning to move out of the state.”
UCLA research has found that people 25 to 39 are “moving around at roughly double that of middle-age or older people.” Those moving to other states were most often going to Texas and Washington. Older people were most likely to go to lower-cost Nevada and Arizona.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article256589561.html#storylink=cpy

Wally

Reaction score
Having a "growth rate at a record low" is not the same thing as losing population. California and Minnesota are among the many states experiencing "stable growth". It seems people are willing to put up with high taxes and progressive politics if the state provides them with a great place to live, support their family, and educate their children. Cali and Minny have been doing it that way for a very long time.

View attachment 16443

Once these Red Western states grow enough they will become more and more liberal.

It's a beautiful thing.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
You know I can read. I read yours but I doubt you read mine.

And a consortium of UC researchers, trying to learn if there was a “California exodus,” concluded that “there is no evidence of an abnormal increase in residents planning to move out of the state.”
UCLA research has found that people 25 to 39 are “moving around at roughly double that of middle-age or older people.” Those moving to other states were most often going to Texas and Washington. Older people were most likely to go to lower-cost Nevada and Arizona.

Thank you for proving my point once again that California lost over 135,000 people, roughly the size of Pasadena, last year to migration. This number has always included the number of people who didn't move in.

In your words:
It seems people are willing to put up with high taxes and progressive politics if the state provides them with a great place to live, provide for their family and educate their children. Cali and Minny have been they way they for a very long time.

This statement is currently false since more people have left both of these states than moved in over the last year.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It's a huge proportion of them.

Ogee said his street in AZ is full of CALIFORNIA RETIREES....
Ummmm.... I'd have to go back and check, but I do believe I said CA escapees, not retirees. There has been a healthy mix of both.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
More than 653,000 Californians moved to another state in 2019, while about 480,000 people moved here from elsewhere in the country, according to data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. (The 2020 numbers aren’t available, but analyses of other 2020 data sets have yielded similar results.)

These were the top destinations for Californians leaving:

• Texas (82,235 people in Texas had moved from California in the last year)
  • Arizona (59,713)
  • Nevada (47,322)
  • Washington (46,791)
  • Oregon (37,927)

For many Californians, the high cost of living makes staying here near-impossible, experts say. In Texas, the median home price is $329,000, less than half of what it is in the Golden State, according to RedFin, a real estate brokerage.
Eric McGhee, a senior fellow with the Public Policy Institute of California, told me that people moving to California were more likely to be educated, employed and earn higher incomes than those moving away.

That suggests that high expenses are to blame for the departures, though not high taxes, as some claim, he said. California taxes wealthier people at much higher levels than those with lower incomes, he said.

“If those taxes were the motivation, you’d expect wealthy people to be moving out,” McGhee said, noting exceptions such as Elon Musk, a newly minted Texan. “By and large that’s not the people leaving the state.”

Wally

Reaction score
Everyone is leaving the Big Blue Cities...
Oops, guess not...

The numbers marked a stark contrast compared to December 2020, when surging COVID-19 caseloads stoked concern of a mass exodus from New York City. The vacancy rate dropped to just 1.7%, down from nearly 11% one year earlier.

“What started as a trickle earlier last year has become like a geyser of demand,” Douglas Elliman rental broker Janna Raskopf told CNBC. “I’ve been doing this for 14 years and it’s absolutely unprecedented.”

Listing inventory plunged 81% year-over-year in December, with less than 4,800 apartments listed as available for rent.

Top Bottom