States with the Largest Exodus of People

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
What do the states on each list mostly have in common?

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.38.59 PM.png

When it came to outbound moves, New Jersey (71%) topped the list for the fourth straight year.

Illinois (67%) ranked second on the outbound list. Illinois, New York (63%), Connecticut (60%), and California (59%) have all regularly appeared on the top of the outbound list.

Reactions: KGF

justthefacts

Reaction score
dmM7GzJ.png

Wally

Reaction score
That really doesn’t refute the premise that people are leaving blue states for more taxpayer friendly states.

Mostly retired people which is a growing demographic especially with Covid.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Well, ideally, you would earn in a high wage state, and retire in a low wage state.

Spoofin

Reaction score
This thread is simply comedy. All the lefties trying to explain why this is happening - ignoring the obvious. Too funny.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
This thread is simply comedy. All the lefties trying to explain why this is happening - ignoring the obvious. Too funny.

But their polices are the best! That's why so many are moving away from them...

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Righties have been predicting the end of the Minnesota Miracle for over 50 years because of high taxes and excessive social welfare benefits. They have been wrong for over 50 years.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Righties have been predicting the end of the Minnesota Miracle for over 50 years because of high taxes and excessive social welfare benefits. They have been wrong for over 50 years.

Minnesota lost more people than they gained in 2021, as expected.

Wally

Reaction score

Leave then. Move to Alabama.

It's priceless coming from a bunch of people who took advantage of an excellent state sponsored school.

Last edited:

Angry

Reaction score
Don’t believe your lying eyes you fool!

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Are you under some kind of f'ng illusion that people aren't more mobile now than they ever have been in history, and more able to work remotely than they ever have?

Are you literally this special kind of stupid?

Slim Tubby

Reaction score
I accept the higher taxes as a proud Minnesota. We have superior infrastructure, educational systems, wildlife protection/restoration and many other aspects that make this state one of the best to live in (it helps if you like to ice fish).

What I don’t like is my higher taxes being used in welfare programs that reward the able bodied, lazy people that willfully work off the backs of hard working people. It’s the single most important aspect as to why I’m a Republican.

Wally

Reaction score
I accept the higher taxes as a proud Minnesota. We have superior infrastructure, educational systems, wildlife protection/restoration and many other aspects that make this state one of the best to live in (it helps if you like to ice fish).

What I don’t like is my higher taxes being used in welfare programs that reward the able bodied, lazy people that willfully work off the backs of hard working people. It’s the single most important aspect as to why I’m a Republican.

I agree but the amount of welfare in the MN budget isn't that much.

Tell me who in here we should throw out.

Gold Vision

Reaction score
Are you under some kind of f'ng illusion that people aren't more mobile now than they ever have been in history, and more able to work remotely than they ever have?

Are you literally this special kind of stupid?
So it’s not all about Covid restrictions, it’s about the widespread ability to work remote now?
If that’s what you are saying, I would 100% agree that’s a huge part of the exodus. I can’t hire people right now because I don’t have executive leadership support to offer remote jobs.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
More and more, people will choose where they want to live independently from where they want to work. Because they can work anywhere.

My bride is a former Californian, as am I. Housing prices and traffic sent us back to our roots. The idea that California will depopulate is unlikely, the weather is too nice.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
So it’s not all about Covid restrictions, it’s about the widespread ability to work remote now?
If that’s what you are saying, I would 100% agree that’s a huge part of the exodus. I can’t hire people right now because I don’t have executive leadership support to offer remote jobs.
I"m sure it's several factors, COVID restrictions sure aren't helping.

A buddy I played college football with was working in CA, outrageous rent and taxes, he and his wife kind of hit the road about 18 months ago when things got unbearable in and around the Bay Area; got an RV trailer and bounced around for 4-6 months before finally saying, why not do this for a while and say f'k CA and their taxes and COVID restrictions?

They dumped their apartment, bought a bigger nicer 5th wheel and an F-250 to pull it and have never looked back, still kept the same job based in San Jose. Just spent the last 2 months here in Vegas (Nov/Dec) and left a couple days ago for an RV park in San Diego. Their official address and Drivers License is in South Dakota; apparently Spearfish and Sioux Falls are two cities in SD that are very friendly for doing this kind of thing.

Your executive leadership doesn't WANT to support people working remotely, even if they could very well do it. I'm seeing that from a lot of people as well; companies putting the kibosh on working remotely, I would guess they are getting heat from outside sources trying to prevent people from doing this, which is kind of shitty and really unfortunate.

Look at MN; if you could make a wage commensurate with a good gig in the MSP area but live in Redwood Falls or Morris or wherever where the cost of living is a fraction of MSP, a lot of people are going to jump all over that, and I'm sure many already have.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I want to order Chinese delivery at 10 pm on a Tuesday

Gold Vision

Reaction score
I"m sure it's several factors, COVID restrictions sure aren't helping.

A buddy I played college football with was working in CA, outrageous rent and taxes, he and his wife kind of hit the road about 18 months ago when things got unbearable in and around the Bay Area; got an RV trailer and bounced around for 4-6 months before finally saying, why not do this for a while and say f'k CA and their taxes and COVID restrictions?

They dumped their apartment, bought a bigger nicer 5th wheel and an F-250 to pull it and have never looked back, still kept the same job based in San Jose. Just spent the last 2 months here in Vegas (Nov/Dec) and left a couple days ago for an RV park in San Diego. Their official address and Drivers License is in South Dakota; apparently Spearfish and Sioux Falls are two cities in SD that are very friendly for doing this kind of thing.

Your executive leadership doesn't WANT to support people working remotely, even if they could very well do it. I'm seeing that from a lot of people as well; companies putting the kibosh on working remotely, I would guess they are getting heat from outside sources trying to prevent people from doing this, which is kind of shitty and really unfortunate.

Look at MN; if you could make a wage commensurate with a good gig in the MSP area but live in Redwood Falls or Morris or wherever where the cost of living is a fraction of MSP, a lot of people are going to jump all over that, and I'm sure many already have.
I work for a pretty large MN company and my group could easily do it. Big portions of the company already do. The CEO has a particular passion for my group being in the office, partly because we just built a brand new corporate office.

You had me on the rest of the post until the Redwood Falls and Morris part. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing, but there are a hundred other parts of Minnesota I would think of going remote before there.

Wally

Reaction score

Many companies are beginning to adjust wages based on where their workers live, expect to see lots of changes once remote working settles in.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Good riddance. (Even though your premise is flawed.) Twin Cities roads are too crowded already and urban sprawl sucks. I'm all for it.

stocker08

Reaction score
People want to pay less taxes so they move to shittier states. South Dakota? West Virginia!? ROFL! Got to hold onto more of that toilet scrubbing money.

Top Bottom