State of the West after week 8

Otis

Reaction score
Minnesota 3-1
@ Northwestern - should win, NW lost 2 more starters for the season last week.
Illinois
@ Iowa*
@ Indiana
Wisconsin*
* rivalry game
Control their destiny. Must keep 1 game at a time approach to avoid letdown.

Iowa 3-1
@ Wisconsin - Huge game between West preseason favorites.
@ Northwestern
Minnesota*
Illinois
@ Nebraska*
Control their own destiny. Defense is good, offense is Achilles heal. Can be beaten anytime.

Wisconsin 2-2
Iowa* - big game in the west annually
@ Rutgers
Northwestern
Nebraska
@ Minnesota*
control their own destiny. Great defense, suspect quarterbacking and anemic offense. Have yet to lose to inferior opponent. In other words, still Wisconsin.

That’s all folks! Yes Purdue is still in the running but just look at their schedule and read the tea leaves. They are out of steam.

Go Gophers!

The fact that these 3 are the contenders isn't surprising. How we have gotten to this point is a little bit. The head to head games will sort it all out. But Nebraska has the potential to be a factor here as well. Not in terms of contending but they are talented enough that they could spring an upset over Wisconsin and/or Iowa.

After this week we will be down to two teams or less who control their own destiny. The longer the Gophers are in that position the better.

After this week we will be down to two teams or less who control their own destiny. The longer the Gophers are in that position the better.
But what if wisconsin AND Iowa keep the one game at a time approach also?

It's in the Goph's best interests for Wisky to win this weekend because of the fact that we have the Badgers at home.

An Iowa win makes them a pretty strong fav to win the West, imo.

It's in the Goph's best interests for Wisky to win this weekend because of the fact that we have the Badgers at home.

I keep going back and forth on this one....the home/road aspect does come into it but from a matchup standpoint I think our style of play matches up perfectly with the formula you need to beat Iowa this year.

And there is a big part of me that would like to see Wisconsin dead and buried before that final game.

I never cheer for the BADgers, ever. If Iowa beats the BADgers we can then win at Iowa and lose to the BADgers and still win the West title. If the BADgers beat Iowa then we most likely need to beat Wisky and Iowa to win the title (unless we're countin' on Nebby to pull an upset). Of course, we'll beat 'em both, so it doesn't really matter -- we'll be Champs of the West!

Last edited:

I keep going back and forth on this one....the home/road aspect does come into it but from a matchup standpoint I think our style of play matches up perfectly with the formula you need to beat Iowa this year.

And there is a big part of me that would like to see Wisconsin dead and buried before that final game.
I’m leaning this way too.
Either game is no picnic but winning at Iowa just seems not so daunting if you don’t give them the ball and play good defense. Then win at Indiana and it’s over!
Plus, Wisconsin winning just keeps all three teams alive for the title as possible 2 loss champs. Giving whisky their third loss has got to lower their % of winning the west considerably.
So, go Hawkeyes?
Still holding out for the natural disaster though.

Never cheer for wisconsin ever.
I would rather get last in the west and Iowa get first than get third in the west with wisconsin in first

Maybe

Top Bottom