State of the Gophers

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Brew has been here for three years. It's time to start evaluating his progress.

In my opinion, he is way ahead of schedule. I would give him a solid A for a grade. He is a recruiting wizard and the most positive influence on the program ever. No, his latest recruiting class isn't ranked very high, but I will always trust this man and his talent evaluators. You don't need "star" power to win Big Ten titles. We don't need 4/5 star players to win it all.

The only reason the coordinators keep changing is because he brings in hot young coaches that are on their way up. These guys are hot commodities. Besides, players don't always sign because of the ASSISTANT coaches.

I would say that WE will finish fourth in the Big Ten next season, second in 2011-12 and first the year after that. Brew has elevated this program in EVERY season at the helm. I don't see this changing. He promised Big Ten titles, and Big Ten titles we will get.

Big time players like Moses Alipate are just the tip of the iceberg. Brace yourself for consistent blue chippers signing with this program (after this season).

Go Gophers!

I'm glad you have the faith.

This is a make or break season, but my chili has cooled considerably after last year. Need to show we can beat teams of consequence this year (at least one of Iowa-Wisconsin-Ohio State-Penn State-USC) because we haven't in the past three seasons, and we need to show we can win the games we're supposed to, because we haven't shown that consistently in the past two seasons (Michigan in 2008, Illinois in 2009).

Do I think it's possible it gets done? Yes. That's my faith and hope. I suppose I'm not as optimistic or sure as you though.

Wrong. Brewster has not elevated the program every season. He took a bowl team and turned them into a 1-11 disaster, the worst season in Gopher history. That is why the past 2 seasons look "good" in comparison. He is also 0-6 vs. Iowa and Wisconsin. You're not elevating the program when you lose 55-0 at home in a rivalry game.

Wrong. Brewster has not elevated the program every season. He took a bowl team and turned them into a 1-11 disaster, the worst season in Gopher history. That is why the past 2 seasons look "good" in comparison. He is also 0-6 vs. Iowa and Wisconsin. You're not elevating the program when you lose 55-0 at home in a rivalry game.

Bingo.

You don't need "star" power to win the big ten. You do need star power. Look at the teams who are not named Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State to win Big Ten titles since 1999.

Northwestern - Pat Fitzgerald, Darnell Autry, Damien Anderson
Purdue - Drew Brees
Wisconsin - Rod Dayne
Illinois - Mendenhall, Benn, Williams (pre-self destruction), Kurt Kitner
Iowa - Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Dallas Clark

I still think the Gophers will be in the top three in the conference this season and win the Big Ten title in 2011-2012. Easily.

Brew is the man. The U hasn't seen this level of talent on the gridiron maybe ever. Look at the players on his roster. It's filled with GREAT recruits. Who cares that he didn't get Floyd, Henderson, McNeal or Allen from in-state. He made up for it in other ways!
I think MOST people on this board will agree with me that Brew is the man for the job and the Gophers are on the rise.

I still think the Gophers will be in the top three in the conference this season and win the Big Ten title in 2011-2012. Easily.

Brew is the man. The U hasn't seen this level of talent on the gridiron maybe ever. Look at the players on his roster. It's filled with GREAT recruits. Who cares that he didn't get Floyd, Henderson, McNeal or Allen from in-state. He made up for it in other ways!
I think MOST people on this board will agree with me that Brew is the man for the job and the Gophers are on the rise.

Wow. I took the OP as sarcasm, but now I'm confused. Especially coming from the biggest Eyeore on the basketball board. Either you're playing the sarcasm for effect or you really need to adjust your meds.

Wow. I took the OP as sarcasm, but now I'm confused. Especially coming from the biggest Eyeore on the basketball board. Either you're playing the sarcasm for effect or you really need to adjust your meds.

Its the meds

Here's how I see it

I have season tickets and love the Gophers.

However, I have to see a sign that the Gophers and Brewster are going in the right direction or someone else can have me seats next year (that is, if they even want them). Brewster's "learning-on-the-job" phase is over. He needs his recruits to win at least one trophy game, have a winning record at home this season, and win a bowl game. I don't care what bowl it is, but he has got to win it.

I really don't think that's asking a lot for a guy entering his fourth year as coach. All his tough games (aside from Wisconsin) are at TCF Bank Stadium). I'm not asking for the Gophers to win them all, but to have a winning record is pretty significant, considering USC, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa are all here.

There are no excuses for Brewster anymore. He has one of the better football facilities in the nation and the majority of his team are his recruits. If he fails, I don't think I'll be the only one ready to give up my season tickets. I can spend $550 on a new swing set for my kids and find more enjoyment.

I'm not pulling for Brewster. I'm pulling for the team on the field.

Go Gophers.

I just have a hard time with all the people that think they know FB here, and don't really know how to build a team. Brewster, has had learning pains, and that have slowed some things, but he is going about building the team the right way. He is redshirting kids, that the first yr. probably would have played, but to compete, you need 4th and 5th yr. kids not 2nd and 3rd yr. kids. There is more talent than has been here for along time. But it has to develope and that takes time. 2011 and 2012 should be real good yrs. This yr. we should be a better team, but might not have a record better than 6-6.

I have season tickets and love the Gophers.

However, I have to see a sign that the Gophers and Brewster are going in the right direction or someone else can have me seats next year (that is, if they even want them). Brewster's "learning-on-the-job" phase is over. He needs his recruits to win at least one trophy game, have a winning record at home this season, and win a bowl game. I don't care what bowl it is, but he has got to win it.

I really don't think that's asking a lot for a guy entering his fourth year as coach. All his tough games (aside from Wisconsin) are at TCF Bank Stadium). I'm not asking for the Gophers to win them all, but to have a winning record is pretty significant, considering USC, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa are all here.

There are no excuses for Brewster anymore. He has one of the better football facilities in the nation and the majority of his team are his recruits. If he fails, I don't think I'll be the only one ready to give up my season tickets. I can spend $550 on a new swing set for my kids and find more enjoyment.

I'm not pulling for Brewster. I'm pulling for the team on the field.

Go Gophers.

Are you Popeye or something? seriously, "have me tickets"? Shiver me timbers!

You had me right up until you said "Big time players like Moses Alipate" Moses sucks.

Brewster did not inherit a bowl team, He inherited a piece of crap in a can.

I just have a hard time with all the people that think they know FB here, and don't really know how to build a team. Brewster, has had learning pains, and that have slowed some things, but he is going about building the team the right way. He is redshirting kids, that the first yr. probably would have played, but to compete, you need 4th and 5th yr. kids not 2nd and 3rd yr. kids. There is more talent than has been here for along time. But it has to develope and that takes time. 2011 and 2012 should be real good yrs. This yr. we should be a better team, but might not have a record better than 6-6.

So its all about redshirting kids, got it. So is the proper way to build a team to go through coaches like I do a pack of gum? I guess when coaches talk about stability with their staff they don't know what they are talking about. You also realize I am sure that the strength of his recruiting classes are diminishing as well and is still not gaining ground on the teams that are in front of Minnesota in the Big Ten recruiting battles.

Art: "He took a bowl team and turned them into a 1-11 disaster......."

Brewster inherited a team that Mason was rebuilding after ten seasons! Huh? If Mason would have stuck, he would have been sent packing after the 07 season after managing maybe 4 wins. No matter the coach, 07 was toast.

Time is running short for Brewster to put a competitive team on the field as he was hired to do. Two years to do it or he is gone and we start over again. I like our chances in 2011.

In my opinion, he is way ahead of schedule. I would give him a solid A for a grade. He is a recruiting wizard and the most positive influence on the program ever. No, his latest recruiting class isn't ranked very high, but I will always trust this man and his talent evaluators. You don't need "star" power to win Big Ten titles. We don't need 4/5 star players to win it all.

The only reason the coordinators keep changing is because he brings in hot young coaches that are on their way up. These guys are hot commodities. Besides, players don't always sign because of the ASSISTANT coaches.

I would say that WE will finish fourth in the Big Ten next season, second in 2011-12 and first the year after that. Brew has elevated this program in EVERY season at the helm. I don't see this changing. He promised Big Ten titles, and Big Ten titles we will get.

Big time players like Moses Alipate are just the tip of the iceberg. Brace yourself for consistent blue chippers signing with this program (after this season).

Go Gophers!

I know it is 8:09 AM and I'm reading this post, but I had to question whether I was drunk. Somebody is REALLY into the kool-aid. Which is fine as I'm all for people being positive. I completely disagree with every point said and think we'll finish last in the B10 and likely see the coach fired. But hey, that's what mb's are for, differing opinions.

I've seen the wizard at recruiting bring some high star guys in who either didn't qualify or weren't very good. I know after 4 chances at recruiting he stilll hasn't brought in anyone better than Weber. I've seen major instability in the coordinator ranks which helps no one. I've seen some of the worst football since the Wacker years under Brew. I predict we go 4-8 this year, with one Big Ten win and Brew is gone. As a season ticket holder, I will be very happy to be wrong and for BGF to be right...

In my opinion, he is way ahead of schedule. I would give him a solid A for a grade. He is a recruiting wizard and the most positive influence on the program ever.

You are joking, right? If you are a serious, I can get a car with a Gopher logo on it that I want to sell you .... its the coolest looking car ever and I'm sure it will be a great chick magnet and I'll throw in a picture of Timmy Boy Brewster for only 50K, we have a deal??

Did you see how many Gophers have signed with NFL teams this year and yet Brew could only get one win out of them his first year. But hey he's a "solid A" coach and forget the prior national titles we won, Brew has had the most "most positive influence on the program ever." Who needs wins, when you got Brew's radiance.

I would like to thank everyone for taking part in this experiment. It just proves that no matter what you post on this site, you are going to get personally attacked and persecuted.

In the past, I have been blasted for not drinking the Gopher Football Kool Aid. Now, I come out with the most positive Gopher statement ever, and I get BLASTED.

I love it!

Personally, I do not care for Brewster. I find it extremely discouraging that he has gone through so many coordinators, missed on the state's top recruit every season, gone winless against Iowa/Wisconsin and had his recruiting classes decline in overall rating EVERY year. There is very little to be excited about with this team.

I would like to thank everyone for taking part in this experiment. It just proves that no matter what you post on this site, you are going to get personally attacked and persecuted.

False. If you post something subtle and nuanced, with a reasonable viewpoint, you will not be persecuted. All you've done during your time here is be a consistent Debbie Downer about anything and everything. And now you pull a complete polar opposite, being ridiculously, hyperbolically excited about the Gophers. People have been, and will continue to be, blasted for holding either viewpoint. Of course, subtlety has never been your strong suit.

Personally, I do not care for Brewster. I find it extremely discouraging that he has gone through so many coordinators, missed on the state's top recruit every season, gone winless against Iowa/Wisconsin and had his recruiting classes decline in overall rating EVERY year. There is very little to be excited about with this team.

Aaaaaaand, now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Hey, at least 1 out of the 4 things you listed are legitimate concerns. As Meat Loaf said, "1 out of 4 ain't bad". Er, wait...

False. If you post something subtle and nuanced, with a reasonable viewpoint, you will not be persecuted. All you've done during your time here is be a consistent Debbie Downer about anything and everything. And now you pull a complete polar opposite, being ridiculously, hyperbolically excited about the Gophers. People have been, and will continue to be, blasted for holding either viewpoint. Of course, subtlety has never been your strong suit.

Aaaaaaand, now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Hey, at least 1 out of the 4 things you listed are legitimate concerns. As Meat Loaf said, "1 out of 4 ain't bad". Er, wait...

HAHAHAHA! I WIN!!!! DID I OFFEND YOU BY WHAT I SAID OF THE WONDERFUL BREWSTER?

The Minnesota Golden Gophers football program is on the decline. Tim Brewster is not a good coach. He was hired because his reputation as a great recruiter, but the only thing he's done is miss on every top-rated recruit in the state and have his most recent class ranked as low as 10 in the Big 10 (11).

Aside from the beautiful new stadium, what is there to be excited about with the Gophers football team?

If they give him 2 more yrs. the bandwagon won't be big enough and most the naysayers will be saying we knew he was OK. Get ready to eat CROW.

I give Brewster credit

for vastly improving grades and increasing the number of players drafted and signed to UFA's by NFL.

Yes, he inherited a bowl team from Mason - but one that never made an upper level bowl, in spite of loading his schedule with cream puff non-conference schedules. If Brew played schedules like Mason's he would have moved up to a better bowl - but still not won one until his recruiting brings in the talent to step up in class.

I love how people get ripped for typos on this site, too. Some people like to hide behind a moniker and throw jabs just to be d!#ks. That being said, you just need to have a thick skin.

By the way, BGF, I like your points about Brewster. I guess we'll see how good he is this season with his recruits. I just hope I don't see a delay of game penalty after a timeout again. Doh!

HAHAHAHA! I WIN!!!! DID I OFFEND YOU BY WHAT I SAID OF THE WONDERFUL BREWSTER?

NO!!!!! YOU OFFENDED ME BY BEING AN IDIOT!!!! CRITICIZE BREWSTER ALL YOU WANT!!!! JUST PICK SOME THINGS THAT ARE LEGITIMATE CONCERNS!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Top Bottom