State Fair 2022

Blizzard

Reaction score
Have you been to The Fair? Are you planning on going to The Fair?

We went opening day and then again Saturday with the kids and grandkids.

All is well. The crowds are back.

Have you been to The Fair? Are you planning on going to The Fair?

We went opening day and then again Saturday with the kids and grandkids.

All is well. The crowds are back.

Any new foods you recommend?

Any new foods you recommend?

Hmmm. The only real new things we did were the cotton candy float and the Hmong Kitchen. Both were great. My only disappointment was if you're into Chan's Chicken, which I think is fabulous, both my son and I independently thought they changed up the recipe a bit. Still great, but a bit different.

If you want a good run down of the new foods the Pioneer Press posted their review of all of them. Some of this stuff is pretty humorous. The food critic takes a few people and they do the reviews. Some, they thought, were outstanding. Some were horrible.

I was thinking about going up on Friday to see the Counting Crows and Wallflowers at the Grandstand, but I chickened out.

I don't like crowds, so I just didn't want to put up with the mob scene.

and, as I get older, I try to keep things simple. I just couldn't face the logistics of driving up to the Cities, finding a park-and-ride lot, waiting in line to get in, etc. Parking on the grounds is too expensive and takes forever to get out of there.

If you like the Fair, great. more power to you.

for me, the whole experience is more trouble than it's worth. and with my health issues, I watch my diet very closely, so there isn't a lot of food up there that I would even consider eating.

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old a-hole.

I was thinking about going up on Friday to see the Counting Crows and Wallflowers at the Grandstand, but I chickened out.

I don't like crowds, so I just didn't want to put up with the mob scene.

and, as I get older, I try to keep things simple. I just couldn't face the logistics of driving up to the Cities, finding a park-and-ride lot, waiting in line to get in, etc. Parking on the grounds is too expensive and takes forever to get out of there.

If you like the Fair, great. more power to you.

for me, the whole experience is more trouble than it's worth. and with my health issues, I watch my diet very closely, so there isn't a lot of food up there that I would even consider eating.

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old a-hole.
I'm in my early 50s so I don't have diet restrictions (yet) and live much closer (Dakota Cty), but otherwise you just outlined the exact same internal debate I am having with regards to seeing a free Jayhawks show at the Fair this coming Sunday.

I suspect I will arrive at the same decision.

I'm in my early 50s so I don't have diet restrictions (yet) and live much closer (Dakota Cty), but otherwise you just outlined the exact same internal debate I am having with regards to seeing a free Jayhawks show at the Fair this coming Sunday.

I suspect I will arrive at the same decision.

The park and rides in Roseville are pretty slick. Yes, you're getting on a bus but most of these are traveling coaches with plenty of room. It's a 10 or 15 minute ride from there - provided they're not full of course. We have a bit of a built in advantage: We live pretty close. My mother lives just a few miles east of the Hoyt Ave entrance. Usually, we park at her house and she drops us off and picks us up. Pretty slick. Otherwise, we arrive at around 0800-0830 and park in the Boy Scout parking on Pascal and Midway Parkway. $17.00. Well worth the price. Couple of blocks away

Not going. I always take 3-4 years off to make it fresh again. See you there in two years.

Didn't know this existed. Live DNR pond fish cam:

Went first two days and the last day. We rode bikes from our house. Kids had fun, I drank 4-5 beers each day and followed them around.

Best food i had were the sashimi tacos, got those every time. Duck wontons were pretty good. The deep fried smelt were ok. Tot boss tater tots are always good.

Fair isn't cheap but I like going as much as possible with my kids while they are still at an age that they love hanging out with dad, I don't have that many years left.

Saw this note in a Strib article:

Attendance for the 12-day event usually hovers around 2 million. The fair saw 1.8 million visitors this year. The record was 2.2 million in 2019.

the Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend were the best-attended, with 249,490 on Saturday and 222,202 on Sunday.

Wednesday was the least-attended with 111,861.

Went first two days and the last day. We rode bikes from our house. Kids had fun, I drank 4-5 beers each day and followed them around.

Best food i had were the sashimi tacos, got those every time. Duck wontons were pretty good. The deep fried smelt were ok. Tot boss tater tots are always good.

Fair isn't cheap but I like going as much as possible with my kids while they are still at an age that they love hanging out with dad, I don't have that many years left.
Bold: hope you're referring to how many where your boys love to hang out with their dad!

Saw this note in a Strib article:

Attendance for the 12-day event usually hovers around 2 million. The fair saw 1.8 million visitors this year. The record was 2.2 million in 2019.

the Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend were the best-attended, with 249,490 on Saturday and 222,202 on Sunday.

Wednesday was the least-attended with 111,861.
Some really crappy rain days. Unbelievable weather on Labor weekend, where people usually go "holy crap, we haven't gone to the fair this year and it's almost over!"

Top Bottom