Starting just like 2019 except without the wins

Billy M

Reaction score
I think we have to give some consideration to the fact that we were beyond fortunate last year to be 3-0 after stunningly disappointing wins over our 3 non-conference teams. SDSU fumbled the game away, Fresno couldn't stop a 4th and long to end the game and GA Southern couldn't stop 3rd and eternity. We looked terrible at the start of 2019 but we won so people overlooked it. Not so much this year. Fleck's teams might just be slow starters and throw in COVID and that makes it even worse. Still a ton to play for. Wisco, Iowa, Nebraska and a chance to turn the season around, but we have to make the Illinois game meaningful. I know people will laugh at Illinois, but they were laughing at Maryland and they figured things out in time for us.

This is the price of expectations. We want to break out of our previous chains and run with the big boys, then we need to forget the past 7 days and not let Maryland beat us two weeks in a row.

You can't spell ELITE without an L sometimes. But we will be back!!! RTBSUMGG!!!!!

I think we have to give some consideration to the fact that we were beyond fortunate last year to be 3-0 after stunningly disappointing wins over our 3 non-conference teams. SDSU fumbled the game away, Fresno couldn't stop a 4th and long to end the game and GA Southern couldn't stop 3rd and eternity. We looked terrible at the start of 2019 but we won so people overlooked it. Not so much this year. Fleck's teams might just be slow starters and throw in COVID and that makes it even worse. Still a ton to play for. Wisco, Iowa, Nebraska and a chance to turn the season around, but we have to make the Illinois game meaningful. I know people will laugh at Illinois, but they were laughing at Maryland and they figured things out in time for us.

This is the price of expectations. We want to break out of our previous chains and run with the big boys, then we need to forget the past 7 days and not let Maryland beat us two weeks in a row.

You can't spell ELITE without an L sometimes. But we will be back!!! RTBSUMGG!!!!!
Losses happen and teams have bad games, but there is no good explanation why in year 4 of PJ's tenure we have one of the worst defenses ever assembled in my 40+ years of being a gopher fan.

Appreciate the enthusiasm. And your point is fair.

I just don't see what the defense can do, to make a step change better.

In 2018, we had the players. We just had to stop paralyzing them with too much scheme .... and Rossi knew that.

In 2020, we don't have the players. It's really that simple. There is no scheme change we can do. Who could come in right now and fix it, with these players?

No, we're starting out just like the Big Ten season in 2018 (you can't compare non-conference starts to conference starts). The differences are:

1) our offense is much more established now; but
2) we lack the levels of experience and talent on defense that we had in 2018 with the biggest gap coming at linebacker; and
3) we don't seem to have anyone who can kick or punt effectively.

Will the defense get better? Well, it can't get worse so it's bound to improve.

I'm not sure how much improvement is possible for the kicking game. I will say that I've seen worse kick return coverage on Gopher teams past than I saw last night; that actually wasn't bad.

2) we lack the levels of experience and talent on defense that we had in 2018 with the biggest gap coming at linebacker; and
3) we don't seem to have anyone who can kick or punt effectively.
So why is this? Isn’t Flecks job to recruit players since he knows players will leave?

The lack of defensive playmakers that are on this team, from the 2017 and 2018 classes, is really quite astounding.

Especially when you consider the talent we do have from those classes on the offensive side.

Fleck's defenses feasted in later 2018 and in 2019 using Kill/Claeys defensive recruits. Don't forget about guys like Cashman in 2018.

No other truth can be found.

And yes, obviously the 2016 class was a special thing.

Losses happen and teams have bad games, but there is no good explanation why in year 4 of PJ's tenure we have one of the worst defenses ever assembled in my 40+ years of being a gopher fan.

Actually there is a good explanation.
Last year much of the defense was based on some very solid defenders who left.
We are two games in.
Didn't have much of a normal spring or fall camp.
Couple injuries and maybe a guy or two playing who shouldn't be.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely.

Appreciate the enthusiasm. And your point is fair.

I just don't see what the defense can do, to make a step change better.

In 2018, we had the players. We just had to stop paralyzing them with too much scheme .... and Rossi knew that.

In 2020, we don't have the players. It's really that simple. There is no scheme change we can do. Who could come in right now and fix it, with these players?

I think this is an over-reaction.
We don't KNOW this yet.

Actually there is a good explanation.
Last year much of the defense was based on some very solid defenders who left.
We are two games in.
Didn't have much of a normal spring or fall camp.
Couple injuries and maybe a guy or two playing who shouldn't be.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely.
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses....PJ should pay you for being his apologist.

I hope so. Obviously you can empathize with peoples’ panic/depression after these two results.

Yes.
It's a bit sad, but it's a lot like 2018 where our defense stunk and we lost Winfield.
Somehow they changed something where suddenly players starting playing solid defense.

Did we have better talent then? Presumably so.
Does that mean we can't play well enough to hold teams to 24-28 while we score 31?
Too early to tell.

It way too early to say the horrendous defensive play is simply a lack of talent.

It might turn out that is the reason. However, with the off season not even close to normal and 7 new starters on D it needs to play out longer. Probably won’t know until next season if it’s a talent issue or an inexperience issue.

Most P5 teams have similar or the same type issues/concerns brought up on this thread this year. What makes Gophs especially unable to overcome them?

Top Bottom