Starters/Rotation Watch Thread

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
I figured we could have a thread that discusses the projected starting lineup and rotation, as well as a place for people to post updates on who is likely going to start. I'll start things off with some tweets from Marcus.

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Gold group is Maverick, Coleman, Chip, Oto and Eliason. Andre Hollins and Welch rotate with maroon at the PG spot.

Starting group? Welch, Austin, Williams, Sampson and Mbakwe in maroon during 5 on 5 drill.

I'd personally love to see the following as the starters/rotation:

PG: Andre
SG: Austin
SF: Rodney
PF: Trevor
C: Ralph

6th: Welch
7th: Coleman
8th: Mo
9th: Oto
10th: Ingram
11th: Chip
12th: Elliason
13th: Mav
14th: Halvorsen

I'm kind of basing this on the fact that Andre Hollins is supposedly our best 3 pt shooter thus far.

I meant to say Andre Hollins, not Hopkins. Who is that? Sorry about that.

Andre Hopkins is leading team in 3-pt shooting in scrimmages. Welch leading in assist to turnover ratio. Maverick struggling in the latter.

Marcus Tweets:

"The two Hollins kids apparently collided in practice the other day. Andre had to get stitches on his cheek."

"Starting group? Welch, Austin, Williams, Sampson and Mbakwe in maroon during 5 on 5 drill."

"Gold group is Maverick, Coleman, Chip, Oto and Eliason. Andre Hollins and Welch rotate with maroon at the PG spot."

Go Gophers!!

I think the rotation will probably be the following:

PG: Welch

I think Andre will get a lot of run at both guard spots, while Joe will play quite a bit at the swing positions. Oto will play 3 and 4. I think when he's healthy, Mo will be the primary interior backup, with Elliot and Andre getting spot minutes. I think Chip and Mav and Chris Halverson will get not get many minutes, unless Mav can keep the hot shooting going from the scrimmage, or unless Tubby really wants to run (I think Halverson and Chip would both be good assets in the press).

1st team

Andre
Austin
Rodney
Trevor
Ralph

2nd team

Julian
Joe
Oto
Mo
Elliot

Fill-ins
Maverick
Chip
Ingram
Halverson

You would think Andre would be seeing 25 minutes plus by the time Big Ten games arrive. Right? I don't think he will start any sooner than that.

You would think Andre would be seeing 25 minutes plus by the time Big Ten games arrive. Right? I don't think he will start any sooner than that.

That might be the scenario and it would seem to fit the Tubby mold. However, I would think he would want to start Hollins a good number of game prior to the Big Ten season so that he gets the feel of the starting role- assuming he wins the job (which I think will happen). I fully expect Maverick the first preseason game regardless of how it's going in practice.

I think the rotation will probably be the following:

PG: Welch

I think Andre will get a lot of run at both guard spots, while Joe will play quite a bit at the swing positions. Oto will play 3 and 4. I think when he's healthy, Mo will be the primary interior backup, with Elliot and Andre getting spot minutes. I think Chip and Mav and Chris Halverson will get not get many minutes, unless Mav can keep the hot shooting going from the scrimmage, or unless Tubby really wants to run (I think Halverson and Chip would both be good assets in the press).

These comments are in line with my thinking. In my ideal world, Ralph, Trevor and Rodney would be playing a ton (30-35 mpg), Austin would have a chance to (with low to mid 20s likely), as would Welch. Andre, Joe, Oto and Mo off the bench.

If Walker isn't ready to go, this team is pretty thin up front (depth-wise). If *something* should cause Trevor and/or Ralph to miss time, I don't like the prospects of a successful season.

For those who are saying Welch will start, what makes you think this? He really did not stand out at event last week. That's a really small sample, but I had expected more. Don't get me wrong, if Welch starts, that's great news if somebody can beat out Hollins who looks great to me. So are there rumors out of practice or is it just the experience/age factor?

bga1 said:
For those who are saying Welch will start, what makes you think this? He really did not stand out at event last week. That's a really small sample, but I had expected more. Don't get me wrong, if Welch starts, that's great news if somebody can beat out Hollins who looks great to me. So are there rumors out of practice or is it just the experience/age factor?

Both. Tubby said he has handled the ball the best in practice in terms of A/TO. He definitely has the most experience also.

Lots of reasons Welch should start, but with Tubby it's tough to call - coach did some things that I thought were a bit bizarre last season (I realize Tubby would probably say the same thing about me if he watched me work). Low on time right now, but there are a few bigger reasons why I'd strongly lean toward Welch and why I have always felt Welch is the likely starter - of course, I don't get to see practice every day and ultimately that should probably decide things in this case. I take zero from the Madness event - meaningless.

One of the angles is certainly Andre's lack of experience. He'll struggle a lot of the time, shoot a low percentage, TO rate will likely be the same or higher than his assist rate... that's not a knock so much on him as it is a comment on most freshman guards trying to play point in D1 basketball. Being on this particular team with no proven perimeter scoring (with the arguable exception of Julian Welch) doesn't help Andre's case either.

Lots of reasons Welch should start, but with Tubby it's tough to call - coach did some things that I thought were a bit bizarre last season (I realize Tubby would probably say the same thing about me if he watched me work). Low on time right now, but there are a few bigger reasons why I'd strongly lean toward Welch and why I have always felt Welch is the likely starter - of course, I don't get to see practice every day and ultimately that should probably decide things in this case. I take zero from the Madness event - meaningless.

One of the angles is certainly Andre's lack of experience. He'll struggle a lot of the time, shoot a low percentage, TO rate will likely be the same or higher than his assist rate... that's not a knock so much on him as it is a comment on most freshman guards trying to play point in D1 basketball. Being on this particular team with no proven perimeter scoring (with the arguable exception of Julian Welch) doesn't help Andre's case either.

I agree. I am worried that Andre will be too excited if he starts and won't perform well, at least for now. We all saw that last week during the madness. I was the same way when I played soccer. It even happened to me when I was an older player too. Playing very well in practice but too excited during the games. Welch did seem to be very calm.

Go Gophers

I'm just hoping that this starting line-up will lead to fewer hockey substitutions... 5 guys in, 5 guys out.

I'm just hoping that this starting line-up will lead to fewer hockey substitutions... 5 guys in, 5 guys out.

Ah my personal favorite. The starting 5 playing brilliantly, and subsequently yanked at the first timeout for walk-ons and freshmen.

I would not be surprised to see Joe Coleman pushing Austin Hollins for a starting position as the season progresses, especially if Joe has improved his outside shot as indicated by the preliminary practice reports. I think Elliott will be the primary back-up to Ralph early in the year and even longer if Walker's knee does not improve. For some reason I think Chip may surprise us this year in a positive way. I think he has the athletic ability and aggressiveness to the basket that can help this team if he can cut down on turnovers and improve his defensive play.

I would not be surprised to see Joe Coleman pushing Austin Hollins for a starting position as the season progresses, especially if Joe has improved his outside shot as indicated by the preliminary practice reports. I think Elliott will be the primary back-up to Ralph early in the year and even longer if Walker's knee does not improve. For some reason I think Chip may surprise us this year in a positive way. I think he has the athletic ability and aggressiveness to the basket that can help this team if he can cut down on turnovers and improve his defensive play.

I really hope you are right about Chip, and I expect an improvement from him as well. His lack of playing time last year was defense related, at least that's what I remember hearing from Tubby. Hopefully he can improve on that end, particularily his lateral quickness.

Touche. Ditto for YouTube videos and Pulley League.

At the all-star event they were playing extremely hard. You can take something from that. Same with Pulley when they are playing 100%, two solid players or teams battling it out it translates to the season, which is only 50% of the time at most.

YouTube highlight videos... I hate those. You can see how athletic someone is, besides that they are worthless.

I expect very little out of Chip this year. He's moved up a spot to be my most likely to get his scholarship pulled after the season.

I agree with you. One thing that might work for Chip is when we press. Chip can stay in the back and catch the long balls when the teams try to skip the press. He did that during the Madness.

Could they give him a football scholarship and have him play basketball after the 1st part of the season?

Go Gophers

I agree with you. One thing that might work for Chip is when we press. Chip can stay in the back and catch the long balls when the teams try to skip the press. He did that during the Madness.

Could they give him a football scholarship and have him play basketball after the 1st part of the season?

Go Gophers

I believe he could as Chip was asking Tubby about playing football. I can't imagine he'd only play the first half of the football season if he were to play both.

I believe he could as Chip was asking Tubby about playing football. I can't imagine he'd only play the first half of the football season if he were to play both.

Sorry scher215, I meant to say after the 1st part of basketball season when the football season is over.

Go Gophers

Chip will be a spark for the team this year. He has a confidence about himself when he enters the game. He isn't afraid to shoot and drive to the rim, almost immediately. He may not be a starter due to his lack of defense intensity but he will be much improved this year. Hopefully he can give us a lift, and that gets him his 10 minutes a game.

Below is how I see the time divided, until Mo comes back and the real players emerge to earn more time.

Center: Sampson 30; Ellison 10
Power Forward: Mbakwe 30; Otto 5; Ingram 5
Small Foward: Rodney 20 ; Otto 10; Austin 5, Coleman 5
Shooting Guard: Austin 15; Coleman 10; Chip 10; Andre 5
Point Guard; Welch 20; Andre 10, Maverick 10

This roster is very athetic and should be able to press and run all game long.

We'll need more than 30 minutes per from Trevor. He's the only true stud we have. Minus foul trouble, he needs to be on the floor in the neighborhood of 35 minutes +. He's a physical specimen, he can handle the workload.

To a lesser extent, I think we'll need more than Ralph's 30 and Rodney's 20, too. If other are guys are gobbling up Ralph and Rodney's minutes, that's probably not going to be a good sign.

We'll need more than 30 minutes per from Trevor. He's the only true stud we have. Minus foul trouble, he needs to be on the floor in the neighborhood of 35 minutes +. He's a physical specimen, he can handle the workload.

To a lesser extent, I think we'll need more than Ralph's 30 and Rodney's 20, too. If other are guys are gobbling up Ralph and Rodney's minutes, that's probably not going to be a good sign.

No doubt that Ralph and Rodney are next in line beyond Mbakwe in the talent category. But Tubby is talking toughness and that doesn't exactly describe that pair. I hope things have changed but it doesn't sound like Tubby is overly impressed with Rodney thus far on the perimeter. On the other hand, of they really play uptempo, Rodney becomes a factor. As you said - this is tough to do in the Big Ten season.

I truly hope Ralph and Rodney have breakout seasons, because they have the potential and talent. But I also wouldn't be surprised if EE, OO and Coleman cut into their minutes substantially with more aggressive play.

In my conversation with Tubby today about the PG situation, he told me Welch reminded him the most of Nolen when it came to on-ball defense.

Some love for Welch's on ball defense. If he can be a lock down defender like Nolen then there is a good chance he'll be the starting PG, especially if he truly is the best at handling and has the best assist/turnover ratio.

A lot of interesting tidbits concerning the starters/rotation, from Marcus.

Joe Coleman is leading team in scoring and steals in practice, Tubby said.
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Tubby says junior college players have a tougher time picking up new offense than high school players. Talking about Welch and Hollins.
2 hours ago

Tubby says he wants to play uptempo and establish that style of play in exhibition games.
3 hours ago

Andre Hollins has been practicing well. With Welch out seems like he should be starting PG tomw. Tubby hasn't announced starters yet.
3 hours ago

Rodney Williams has not solidified himself as a starter on the wing yet.
3 hours ago

Tubby says Gophers had a light scrimmage the other day. Welch turned his ankle. Might be out tomw
3 hours ago

I'm going way out on a limb and say, for now, Maverick starts at the point.

Hollins to start.

Frosh Andre Hollins "probably" starts at PG in regular season opener, Tubby says. What do you think? -- blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2011/1…

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2011/11/10/andre-hollins-probably-starts-at-pg-in-opener-friday/

So Starters Will Be:

PG: Dre Hollins
SG: Aus Hollins

I'd like to see the priority off the bench as follows:

6th: Welch
7th: Chip
8th: Ingram
9th: Coleman
10th: Oto
11th: Eliason
12th: Mav

Lineup I'd like to see and might at times:

'dre Hollins, Welch, Hollins, Sampson, Mbakwe

Lineup I'd love to see but might not:

'dre Hollins, Welch, Hollins, Williams, Mbakwe (run, run, run)

Top Bottom