Start Time for Michigan Game

Gopher 461

Reaction score
When will the announcement be made regarding the start time of the Michigan game in Ann Arbor?

With Fox being the primetime game, that means we would not be in primetime on CBS or NBC right? We could potentially be a BTN primetime game?

Same. I have to line up child care so really hoping for a 3:30 eastern game. Or noon.
Seems like a night game is still possible.

Also seems unlikely the Wisc @ USC and Ore @ UCLA games would be in the early window, as those would be 9 AM Pacific Time.

I also assumed when the 4 PAC12 teams joined we would get some West Coast games that start at 9 PM Central (in the old PAC 12 after dark window) but they seemed to shy away from those so far.

How are the networks so clueless about which games they want to broadcast, and when, < 2 weeks out?

I’m certain I could put together a group of 6-8 random college football fans to debate the matter for 15 minutes every Sunday morning and get this work done better than whatever their current process is.

There is NO NEW DATA coming in for them to consider. If you don’t know on Sunday, you aren’t really going to know on Friday either.

Seems like a night game is still possible.

Also seems unlikely the Wisc @ USC and Ore @ UCLA games would be in the early window, as those would be 9 AM Pacific Time.

I also assumed when the 4 PAC12 teams joined we would get some West Coast games that start at 9 PM Central (in the old PAC 12 after dark window) but they seemed to shy away from those so far.
Highly doubt it a primetime game. No way CBS or NBC go head to head with ABC and Georgia/Alabama that night.

How are the networks so clueless about which games they want to broadcast, and when, < 2 weeks out?

I’m certain I could put together a group of 6-8 random college football fans to debate the matter for 15 minutes every Sunday morning and get this work done better than whatever their current process is.

There is NO NEW DATA coming in for them to consider. If you don’t know on Sunday, you aren’t really going to know on Friday either.
It's frustrating in terms of planning, but I think I see reasons why they want to wait to make a decision on several of these games and I'll throw out my thoughts for what it's worth.

First, this all comes down to the very complicated TV contract (FOX/FS1, NBC/Peacock, CBS and BTN) and all the rules laid out as to who gets what games at what times and those choices of what network gets what game could come down to rankings of the teams. So, the B1G delaying the release of times based on game results will now become the norm and not the exception. Based on this, my thoughts are as follows:

I'll begin with NEB. They always want to hype NEB but they aren't positive they are for real as they haven't played anyone really. However, they are playing a now ranked Illini team this Friday. So, if NEB wins that makes the game with PUR slightly higher in profile. However, if NEB loses then that's going to bounce the rank of the Illini several spots higher and makes the game with a ranked PSU very big and possibly FOX Big Noon big. If not, they still get a good slot, but maybe not the best.

The same is basically true for Minn because if we beat Iowa then Minn looks like a better game at 3-1 with only a loss to a solid UNC team. But really it's all dependant on MICH, but either way we might be a high-profile game. If MICH pulls off a huge surprise to beat USC then it's still a decent game of a 3-1 MICH against a 3-1 Minn (MICH big favorite). However, if MICH gets pummeled by USC and starts to look like a trainwreck, then the Minn vs MICH could still be popular as everybody likes to watch a trainwreck (especially when it could be MICH) and the possibility of Minn beating MICH becomes very real we could get a preferred timeslot too.

Then as mentioned, if USC pummels MICH then that literally probably places USC inside the top ten rankings making them very popular on the West Coast and probably gets them the NBC Primetime slot and Oregon & UCLA slide to the 9:00 pm slot. A highly successful USC is a dream for the B1G blowing up Conference visibility on the West Coast.

Last edited:

I understand it towards the end of the season when a game going one way or another can have an impact on the importance of games the next week. But it's week 4, there's nothing like that to worry about.

This is part of the tv contracts and they have 2-3 weeks through the year where they can use the 6-day window. Sucks but nothing can be done about it.

I don't know next week's order of pick between NBC, Fox and CBS, but NBC could use a good game...

Since NBC took over the Big Ten’s prime-time package last year, the network has aired 14 Big Ten-controlled prime-time games (Ohio State at Notre Dame does not count). Only one of those competitions was decided by single digits (Nebraska-Wisconsin) and the average margin is 25 points per game. All three voices of this crew are terrific in their roles, but it would be nice for them to get a few nailbiters to see what they do with it. Maybe this week with Iowa at Minnesota, this crew will get a close game. They deserve one. - The Athletic

I don't know next week's order of pick between NBC, Fox and CBS, but NBC could use a good game...

Since NBC took over the Big Ten’s prime-time package last year, the network has aired 14 Big Ten-controlled prime-time games (Ohio State at Notre Dame does not count). Only one of those competitions was decided by single digits (Nebraska-Wisconsin) and the average margin is 25 points per game. All three voices of this crew are terrific in their roles, but it would be nice for them to get a few nailbiters to see what they do with it. Maybe this week with Iowa at Minnesota, this crew will get a close game. They deserve one. - The Athletic
Last year's Floyd game was a close one for NBC. I expect another this year.

Top Bottom