Star Tribune memorable quotes

Wheaton

Reaction score
According to the Star Tribune here are the top quotes from Brewster during his 3 1/2 years.

IN BREWSTER'S WORDS
Tim Brewster will be remembered as much for his verbal hyperbole as his coaching. Here are five memorable Brewster quotes:

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Jan. 17, 2007, at his introductory news conference

"I picked the spread because I think it's a very dynamic offense. It will allow us to recruit great football players. That's a huge part of the deal." -- Before the 2008 season, discussing his preference of the spread offense.

"It could be relatively soon. It's not going to be long. I think the hire will be an absolute knockout. An absolute killer shot." -- January 2009, as he searched for a replacement for offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar and a move away from the spread. Brewster's ultimate hire was 32-year-old Jedd Fisch.

"The team we have on the field today ... is light years ahead of where we were three years ago. Light years. Fifty years of frustration doesn't get fixed overnight. It's a process, and we're well into the process." -- Before the start of 2010 season.

"We want to win six games and go to a bowl game. That's our goal now, and I think we can do it.'' -- On Oct. 10, 2010, a day after losing at Wisconsin. The Gophers lost their next game, at Purdue, and Brewster was fired a day later with a 1-6 season record.

Didn't he say something like "we are 4 plays away from being 4-0"?

I really wish they'd stop dogging him for this statement:

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Jan. 17, 2007, at his introductory news conference

I mean he's the new coach at his introductory press conference, and roses should be the goal of EVERY coach who's hired here. They make like it's some outrageous statement he made there, but what would they rather have, some sad-sack mumbling something to the effect of "Yeah, this is Minnesota. We'll be happy to win 6 or 7 games a season and only lose to our rivals by single digits. Yippee".

They need to just let this go and let Brewster go and stop bringing up ancient and irrelevant history and trying to dog the man for statements he made when he was flush with enthusiasm and confidence, misplaced confidence as it turned out, but still confidence is what you want from the guy in charge.

And beyond that they're obviously just printing these things in an effort to mock Brewster, which is incredibly mean-spirited as well as just plain stupid and redundant. The dog is already dead and gone, there is NO point in kicking him any longer.

I really wish they'd stop dogging him for this statement:

I mean he's the new coach at his introductory press conference, and roses should be the goal of EVERY coach who's hired here. They make like it's some outrageous statement he made there, but what would they rather have, some sad-sack mumbling something to the effect of "Yeah, this is Minnesota. We'll be happy to win 6 or 7 games a season and only lose to our rivals by single digits. Yippee".

They need to just let this go and let Brewster go and stop bringing up ancient and irrelevant history and trying to dog the man for statements he made when he was flush with enthusiasm and confidence, misplaced confidence as it turned out, but still confidence is what you want from the guy in charge.

Thank you! I'll never understand why people begrudge him for aiming big. I know he didn't come close to getting it done but that's not the point. I want my coach to talk about winning championships.

The only one of these quotes I have any problem with is the "killer shot" comment in regards to the OC hire. I don't think Brewster should have made that comment even if he knew he had Heupel coming in at that time...why put that type of pressure on a subordinate?

The comments about going to the Rose Bowl were excellent and I would be pissed if the Gophers hired a coach who did not set the goal as the Rose Bow.

the moment he said 'Gopher Nation' i checked out.

Re: the Rose Bowl comment. Do you want the next coach to come in and say the goal is to go to the Pizza Pizza Bowl? You better hope the next coach says the same thing Brewster did, or the Gophs will not get very far under him. I'm sure everyone scoffed when Gary Barnett introduced himself to NU in 1992 by saying "we're going to take the Purple to Pasadena" but that attitude was the only way to get them there 4 seasons later.

Top Bottom