Star Tribune dueling articles on the coaching search.

RodentRampage

Reaction score
The Star Tribune has two articles about the Gophers' coaching search, one http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr makes the case for a coach with experience at the top level of D-I, the other http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr makes the case for an up and comer.

Hawkins at Colorado doesn't prove anything, there is no sure thing. The article claims that we have tried the route of hiring someone who has won at lower levels. Let's go back and look at the past hires:

Brewster - No experience
Mason - In 8 years, he had two years with a winning conference record
Wacker - Good at the D-II level. But at the D-I level with TCU, he had two overall winning seasons, and only one winning conference record.
Gutekunst - 2 years DC at Minnesota.
Holtz - The only one with solid record of success
Salem - Good at the D-II level (Nothern Arizona was D-II at the time). No D-I experience.
Stoll - Three years with Wake Forest, one winning conference record, and a 6-5 record was his best overall.

So, we have not gone the route of getting someone with a solid record of success a lower level. By lower level, I mean a non-BCA I-A team or a I-AA team. D-II is just too low a level. Except for Holtz, we've hired coaches with little or no experience, or whose performance at their previous job had been merely mediocre.

Hiring A Coach Without Great Experience?

What about Kobayashi?

He likely wouldn't put up with any "Hot Dog" behavior from the players?

kobayashi.jpg

I believe BleedGopher has exclusive rights to copy and paste links to articles. I wouldn't want to step on his toes.....

I believe BleedGopher has exclusive rights to copy and paste links to articles. I wouldn't want to step on his toes.....

Go ahead and do that Art, just make sure you are wearing a protective cup, because Bleed is accurate with groin kicks.

Top Bottom