Star Tribune Articles

ORGopher

Reaction score
I already know there has been a long thread on the Star Trib article, but I have a different question concerning the relationship between Joel and Brew.

I look to those of you on this board that are "insiders" to the athletic department because I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the relationship between them, but when I read the article I got the sense that there is something wrong. Maybe I am reading between the lines too much, but I look at Joel's comments - esp. the one about being 2-10 compared to 10-2 - and I didn't see a lot of support for his coach.

This article isn't written assuming Joel just tells the writer that "Coach Brew has our program moving in the right direction and we are excited about the future. The addition of TCF Bank stadium has been a tremendous thing for the university, the state of Minnesota and the football program. For the first time we are seeing the people of Minnesota really get emotionally invested in the program for the first time in many years." - something like that and the story is not written. When asked about the extension it is a matter of saying that we will address it at the end of the year (again, something like that).

I am not faulting Joel for the story, that is not my point. I just sensed that Joel was not comfortable giving a strong endorsement to his coach for some reason.

Comments.

I don't buy the friction angle between Brew and Maturi. I've seen them interact, they don't seem awkward or standoffish in public. I can assume that Brew is bringing in some policies and ideas not that might not be common to past coaches Maturi has dealt with, but such is big time college football. That said, if Brew had gotten an extension last year at 7-1 I think it would have been a mistake, and Maturi should be smart about this stuff. He's been burned with the Mason and Monson extensions in the past, no reason to rush into anything, but I expect an extension to be made after we get selected to another bowl this year. I just don't buy that there is some underlying personal issue, I just think it's Maturi being smart and cautious, which is ok.

I actually emailed Mr. Maturi about this very thing. And as always he responded. I don't know where he finds time to do this but he does.

Anyhoo, he's none to happy about certain things that get written but won't react and run the program based on what get's written. He seems very satisfied with the direction of things but does not believe in the mantra of contract terms and holds evidence as Brews solid class he's putting together. He doesn't feel Brew is suffering because of it and feels no rush to make a decision out of time.

Basically, i just don't think Maturi feels rushed to deal with this. And as he said he hired him and no one wants him to succeed more than he does. So as much as I think some would like to believe Brewster is on the hot seat, he is no more or no less than any other third year coach would be at this stage of the game. Maturi likes the direction of the program and barring collapse is not about to pull the plug.

Obviously I'm paraphrasing quite a bit, but i think I have the gist of his response pretty accurately.

I think what your seeing is that Maturi is just a very careful guy as evidenced by his handling of both Mason's and Monson's terminations. From all accounts, he had decided to terminate both months before they actually were, but then delayed the action. I forget why Monson was retained, but for Mason he was kept on long enough to finalize the new stadium (and go on a Bowl Game rant before the game, and an implosion during the game, that sealed is fate).

Then last year, just after Maturi had more or less publicly stated that he would look at extending Brewster's contract, the team went on a 5 game slide. Brewster didn't deserve an extension last year, but if he wins 7 or 8 this year, I'd think it should seriously be considered.

I do take issue with Maturi saying that recruiting isn't affected by the time remaining on the head coaches contract. It does and I think Maturi has some responsibility for Mason's poor 2006 recruiting class when he wouldn't extend him until after Christmas. Remember, the entire staff didn't have a contract until a day or two before the bowl game, and that did affect recruiting.

What was reported about Maturi's comments about Brewster, if true, are the facts of life for any BCS coach. Last year's collapse did not warrant an extension. This year's highlight is a near miss against Cal, hardly a recommendation for an extension. I like Brewster and look forward to him being around for a long time, but let's get real. There are no moral victories, there's W's and L's. So far we are just starting to get some W's. There are two reasons to give a coach an extension, because others are after him or his lack of a contact is negatively impacting recruiting. Neither is happening so far.

Top Bottom