Star Trib still has Gophers in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

With COVID and remote working, the entire Strib staff moved to Phoenix last winter. That’s why their coverage of Minnesota news is so top notch and accurate.

I see a lot of them drinking and pissing in the streets near Madison and 12th.

Better than Music City with Tennessee as the opponent.

Here are Randy's full predictions:

College Football Playoff

Orange (playoff semifinal,Dec. 31, Miami Gardens, Fla.):No. 1 Alabama (12-1) vs.No. 4 Cincinnati (13-0)

Cotton (playoff semifinal, Dec. 31, Arlington, Texas): No. 2 Michigan (12-1) vs. No. 3 Georgia (12-1)

Championship: Jan. 10, Indianapolis

New Year's Six bowls

Rose (Jan. 1, Pasadena, Calif.): Ohio State (10-2) vs. Utah (10-3)#

Peach (Dec. 30, Atlanta): Pittsburgh (11-2) vs.Notre Dame (11-1)

Fiesta (Jan. 1, Glendale, Ariz.): Michigan State (10-2)vs. Oklahoma State (11-2)

Sugar (Jan. 1, New Orleans):Ole Miss (10-2) vs. Baylor (11-2)#

Other Big Ten bowls

Citrus (Jan. 1, Orlando):Iowa (10-3) vs. Kentucky (9-3)

Outback (Jan. 1, Tampa, Fla.):Wisconsin (8-4) vs. Arkansas (8-4)

Las Vegas (Dec. 30): Penn State (7-5) vs. Arizona State (8-4)

Music City (Dec. 30, Nashville): Purdue (8-4) vs. Tennessee (7-5)

Pinstripe (Dec. 29, New York): Maryland (6-6) vs. Virginia Tech (6-6)

Guaranteed Rate (Dec. 28, Phoenix): Gophers (8-4) vs. West Virginia (6-6)

They should predict a better bowl than they think to be “supportive”? Who gaf what bowl the local press “predicts”?
I agree with your statement. It would be nice if they did a little digging to find out and explain the actual bowl picking process, which there seems to be some confusion about here.

Who cares? We don't need to be overly sensitive about everything with this team. It's a random person's opinion which has zero bearing on where they go.

I agree with your statement. It would be nice if they did a little digging to find out and explain the actual bowl picking process, which there seems to be some confusion about here.
That would be nice. The strib doesn’t care. No one should care what the strib “predicts”. It means less than what I predict. I predict Vegas, btw, just because I want to go.

That would be nice. The strib doesn’t care. No one should care what the strib “predicts”. It means less than what I predict. I predict Vegas, btw, just because I want to go.
I can live with whatever prediction they have. Just would be cool to have some actual analysis. Seems like these days you have to go to guys like Burns for analysis. I guess that tells you how much newspapers are hurting.

With COVID and remote working, the entire Strib staff moved to Phoenix last winter. That’s why their coverage of Minnesota news is so top notch and accurate.

I see a lot of them drinking and pissing in the streets near Madison and 12th.
Those d@mn remote paper tigers! Shame on them for not wanting a Norwegian tan!

Last edited:

According to the StarTrib's logic then - had Iowa somehow won yesterday (thus no one from the Big 10 going to CFP), we would have be relegated to the Quick Lane Bowl vs a MAC team.

STrib was right, we were all wrong.

According to the StarTrib's logic then - had Iowa somehow won yesterday (thus no one from the Big 10 going to CFP), we would have be relegated to the Quick Lane Bowl vs a MAC team.
No way we fall below 6-6 Maryland. The conference must have figured Phoenix > Pinstripe despite the worse game time and payout?

Then gain, I never thought I’d see a team with a losing conference record play in the Outback Bowl. There are no rules anymore.

No way we fall below 6-6 Maryland. The conference must have figured Phoenix > Pinstripe despite the worse game time and payout?

Then gain, I never thought I’d see a team with a losing conference record play in the Outback Bowl. There are no rules anymore.

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if this is the first time?

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if this is the first time?

I answered my own question. Penn State is the first team with a losing Big Ten record to ever play in the Outback. PSU in 2010 and Purdue in 2000 were both 4-4 and had the worst records until this year.

There are no rules anymore is correct. They literally have said that.

the bowls and the conference negotiate on teams to get placements both are happy with.

This entire 4-hour (or whatever it is) TV extravaganza, with the public being teased for hours, is disgusting. Money determines everything now, the situation is overhyped, talked to death, and the list could have been quickly delivered as news, with the talking heads going on the rest of the day after that. Everything wrong with football is being driven by the media and money: extended playoff when that happens, NIL, no-wait transfer portal, vast sums to poach coaches, the pompous Playoff Committee, and more. See the big article on college football in this weekend's Wall Street Journal - last page of the news section for details.

Top Bottom