Star Trib Article: Leidner vs Nelson in NFLPA's Collegiate Bowl

LM21

Reaction score
I wasn't aware this happened until I stumbled across the article.

"For the first time in three years, the two ex-Gophers quarterbacks took the same field. Leidner was one of three quarterbacks on the “American” team facing Nelson, who started for the “National” squad in the college all-star game in Carson, Calif.

Nelson’s National team walked away with a 27-7 win.

Leidner had a rough outing Saturday in the boxscore, completing just three of 12 passes for 38 yards while chipping in five carries for 11 rushing yards. Nelson led all six quarterbacks in the college all-star game with 102 passing yards on 11 of 18 attempts, including an interception."

http://www.startribune.com/just-like-old-times-it-was-leidner-vs-nelson-again/411800246/

"For the first time in three years, the two ex-Gophers quarterbacks took the same field. Leidner was one of three quarterbacks on the “American” team facing Nelson, who started for the “National” squad in the college all-star game in Carson, Calif.

Leidner had a rough outing Saturday in the boxscore, completing just three of 12 passes for 38 yards while chipping in five carries for 11 rushing yards. Nelson led all six quarterbacks in the college all-star game with 102 passing yards on 11 of 18 attempts, including an interception."

http://www.startribune.com/just-like-old-times-it-was-leidner-vs-nelson-again/411800246/

Sounds like it was a pretty typical game for Leidner.

So it is official, Philip Nelson is a much better quarterback than Mitch Leidner.

The practices for these type of games is generally more important than the game itself.

Leidner had a rough outing Saturday in the boxscore, completing just three of 12 passes for 38 yards while chipping in five carries for 11 rushing yards.

Those stats are not elite!

I am willing to bet at least one of the two will at least be on a practice squad at some point this season.

And that's the technicality I figured someone would call me on. I mean actually PLAY in an NFL game.

And that's the technicality I figured someone would call me on. I mean actually PLAY in an NFL game.

Well that's not a bold prediction on your part. That doesn't mean that being on a practice squad is insignificant.

While you are probably right you never know as guys come out of nowhere. I think we have seen enough of Leidner to know that he is not an NFL level QB. Nelson has a shot to get on a roster and from there with injuries and what not anything can happen.

Neither will play in the NFL so does it really matter?

That is not what Nelson's coach for the game is saying. He lavished praise on Nelson and said he has the ability to play in the NFL. Heard the quote on the radio driving home a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not what Nelson's coach for the game is saying. He lavished praise on Nelson and said he has the ability to play in the NFL. Heard the quote on the radio driving home a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only did he say that he had the ability to play, he predicted that he would be a starter in the NFL. That was Mike Martz, former head coach of the St. Louis Rams and long time OC in the NFL, considered a QB guru.
Who knows if it will happen, but I'm sure he has a little more expertise than the GH experts. But just a little more.

Well that's not a bold prediction on your part. That doesn't mean that being on a practice squad is insignificant.

Never said it was a bold prediction nor that being on the practice squad is insignificant. Still getting paid to be part of an NFL organization, something many don't ever achieve. Literally all I said is neither will ever play in an NFL game.

Not only did he say that he had the ability to play, he predicted that he would be a starter in the NFL. That was Mike Martz, former head coach of the St. Louis Rams and long time OC in the NFL, considered a QB guru.
Who knows if it will happen, but I'm sure he has a little more expertise than the GH experts. But just a little more.

Sounds more like a KFAN PST to me. We will see if he ever does and I'll admit I was wrong if he does start in the NFL (regular season because that's what I'm assuming Martz is implying).

No doubt in my mind Nelson was always the better passer.

Leidner may have been better for Kill's offense. I don't know what that says about Kill's offense.

Leidner committed one less crime.

Watched the game. Nelson was pretty impressive during the game. Commentators kept talking about how Nelson was the only qb who made either offense go and have any type of rhythm. His stats don't reflect how well he actually played.

Where is Joe Christensen? Have I missed something? (Not the first time by the way)

But how bizarre that they ended up facing each other in that game after all that transpired at the U and after.

But how bizarre that they ended up facing each other in that game after all that transpired at the U and after.

Nothing transpired at the U.

Nelson quit.
Nelson nearly killed a man in Mankato.
Nelson left the state.

Nelson transpired.

From http://chiefswire.usatoday.com, a review of the game and players whose stock rose, or dropped.

Stock Down

Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota
Multiple issues with the exchange between the center and the quarterback. Like most taller quarterbacks he has issues with throwing the ball too high. Even on a dumpoff pass to Teriyon Gipson, he threw it above Gipson’s head. He started the game 0-for-5 passing and just generally looked bad.

Phil always had the higher ceiling. Who would argue against that?

I'd rather win the Holiday Bowl with my brother playing center than win whatever this game is.

Id take Leidner over Nelson everytime on and off the field.

Top Bottom