Staples transfer portal

Already removed from the roster on their website too. Good luck to her.

Ignatius.. yes and no .. one less bench player but she really wasn't playing much either.. so.

Ignatius.. yes and no .. one less bench player but she really wasn't playing much either.. so.

Yes her time had diminished since she started; but she was a player providing a little more height. Plus this means we have one guard (Powell) off the bench. Second transfer of the Whalen era-I think.

Wish her success wherever she ends up. She was going to struggle to get PT with Hubbard healthy again, Powell and Scalia playing as well as they are, and another good guard on the way next year.. Am I correct in recalling that she was 4-star who had originally committed to play elsewhere? She could never hit shots here; hopefully that will change with her next team. And I always thought she was a bit slow for the pace that the Gophers would like to play. She had plenty of opportunities when Hubbard was out last year, but even with Hubbard sitting out the year, she lost PT to Perez who was a better shooter and better in other areas. She was in the starting lineup this year against Missouri State, but she could never get untracked. But, wishing her well and hoping she'll flourish with her next team.

She must have also been looking at the next recruiting class as well?

She was also playing with a bad ankle last year and had some off season surgery. She just wasn't hitting shots this season and we've had other players stepping up.

Mercedes originally committed to Clemson but when they got a new coach she reopened her search. She had been recruited a bit by Stollings and when Marlene left, Lindsay kept up the contacts.

Wish Mercedes all the best!

Delaynie Byrne is the other player who transferred out (and she did commit under Stollings).

Yes her time had diminished since she started; but she was a player providing a little more height. Plus this means we have one guard (Powell) off the bench. Second transfer of the Whalen era-I think.

Adashchyk is a tall guard, and I’m probably the only one left who considers Pitts a guard. So they’re not really hurting at guard. There could be times where Whalen might have to have the guts to play to two true post players at the same time. She should be doing that anyway. We’re not a mid-major team. We’re a P5 team.

Yes I consider Pitts a guard-always have. If Adashchyk can do what Whalen said she can, that will help. When you have only one viable post player, you can always find a use for more guards.

Wish her well. Probably more attuned to a 1AA team or even D2. Would do well at that level.

Wish she would've played out the year, but not really surprising.

I didn't realize she committed to Clemson over a bunch of mid-majors (Nevada, Montana St, Denver, Pepperdine) which may explain why she struggled at Minnesota.

Gophers women's basketball sophomore guard Mercedes Staples is adding her name to the transfer portal, Gophers head coach Lindsay Whalen announced Friday.

Staples, whose name has been dropped from the Gophers' roster on the team website, was one of Whalen's first recruits upon taking the job in 2018 and was ranked No. 64 in the Class of 2018 by ESPN's HoopGurlz out of Viewmont High School in Bountiful, Utah.

Staples played in 33 games in her Gophers career, averaging 3.2 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.0 assists. She has appeared in eight of the Gophers' nine games this season, with one start.

Wish her the best; was really pulling for her and also hoped she would finish out the season. Hope she lands in a good spot

She seemed to lack confidence when playing last year, she seemed more confident this year but had a hard time getting enough minutes this year to get on a roll and build it even more. I always like the way she moved on the floor, she seemed to glide. Sorry to see her go but hope she finds a spot she is happy with.

She did seem to have issues with shooting consistency...not sure, as before mentioned, she was ready for the "big show"

So grateful for those who took care of my daughter while she was in Minnesota. Your fan base for all sports is incredible! We have met so many new friends and families from the area that will forever be in ours. We have been blessed so much from this journey by adding a son-in-law and having an expert surgeon take care of her badly injured ankle.
We will always be a fan of Minnesota.This message board has been great!
https://bit.ly/36DFgVX

Best of Luck to Mercedes in San Diego!

What Shakenbake didn't say:
Aztec women's basketball head coach Stacie Terry-Hutson has announced the signing of Mercedes Staples, a transfer from the University of Minnesota. A 5'10" guard from Centerville, Utah, Staples will be eligible midway through the 2020-21 season as a junior.

"We are thrilled to add Mercedes to our program," Terry-Hutson said. "She is an incredible shooter and a dynamic offensive threat that brings power five experience to our team. She has a vivacious personality that will fit in great with our program and culture."

"I am grateful for the opportunity San Diego State has given me. I was looking for a school where I could add value and further my development," Staples explained. "The coaching staff has followed me throughout my high school and AAU career, and they know my style of play and feel that I will be a great fit within their system. I had a great connection between the players and coaches which made my decision even easier. I am excited to be a part of SDSU and its community and look forward to making those around me successful."

Mercedes Staples started at guard in the first two San Diego State games-a 60-54 win versus Lamar and late game loss to Washington 59-61.

The Aztecs are using a four guard lineup. Staples, in 32 minutes, posted 9 points and 5 rebounds versus Lamar. Versus UW, Mercedes had 8 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals in 34 minutes. She was a combined 7-20 from the field for both games.

Mercedes Staples is averaging 34.7 minutes, 10.7 points and 8.8 rebounds per game for the 2-4 Aztecs. In today's game against Colorado State, a 2 OT , 84-77 loss, Staples played 49 minutes with 16 points and 13 rebounds. It was SDSU's 2nd game against the Rams in Fort Collins in three days. In the first game, an 86-77 loss, Staples played 32 minutes with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Mercedes Staples wrapped up the San Diego State (2-6) non-conference season as the third leading scorer with 10.8 points per game. She started all eight games averaging 35.4 minutes and 8.5 rebounds per game. Mercedes' 15 assists were offset by 22 turnovers. From behind the arc she was 8-27 (.296). The Aztecs open Mountain West play with back to back games versus UNLV this coming weekend.

Top Bottom