Stability and a house in order feels good

Ole

Reaction score
Seeing our rivals go through some coaching changes, major roster rebuilding, and scandals makes me appreciate a thusfar quiet offseason.
If Coach Kill can keep things in order up to fall camp we will have narrowed the gap a bit between our program and those to our stinky south and east.

Player retention is likely the major hurdle we will need to clear, along with signing day, but it's better than losing 4 of your best coaches, 5 total, your rent an AA QB, AA center, #1 WR and an AD to scandal, or having your emerging star runningback mysteriously leave the program and replacing your legendary defensive coordinator and DLine coach.

Come to think of it, wisky's offense/Oline and Iowa's defense/Dline pretty much defined their program the past few years, now all of the coaches responsible for that success are gone.

Seeing our rivals go through some coaching changes, major roster rebuilding, and scandals makes me appreciate a thusfar quiet offseason.
If Coach Kill can keep things in order up to fall camp we will have narrowed the gap a bit between our program and those to our stinky south and east.

Player retention is likely the major hurdle we will need to clear, along with signing day, but it's better than losing 4 of your best coaches, 5 total, your rent an AA QB, AA center, #1 WR and an AD to scandal, or having your emerging star runningback mysteriously leave the program and replacing your legendary defensive coordinator and DLine coach.

Come to think of it, wisky's offense/Oline and Iowa's defense/Dline pretty much defined their program the past few years, now all of the coaches responsible for that success are gone.

I agree with you!! I am not slinging mud either, cuz I know it will bite me in the arse!! I trust Coach Kill and his staff to do the right thing, it might take awhile but he is doing it the right way. I like the fact that his staff has been TOGETHER for a long time. That is so important.

Stability is one thing that Coach Kill has been very confident about due to his ability to retain his staff. This is a vital part in building the proper foundation that he has been talking about since day one.

If I recall correctly, NIU football ranked in the top ten APR during his last year there. The APR steadlily improved during his tenure. Another essential building block in putting the right foundation in place.

When we win the Rose Bowl next year, half our staff will be hired as head coaches at other schools. So don't get too used to our stability... :)

I'll worry about that when we win the Rose Bowl...

Hopefully we'll see it pay dividends next year. It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff learned from this year and how they have the team prepared at the start of next season.

When we win the Rose Bowl next year, half our staff will be hired as head coaches at other schools. So don't get too used to our stability... :)

We'll be fine. That only happens when you lose the Rose Bowl. ;)

I understand that the coaching staff are always evaluating players, but having the same staff after last year helps immensely. They already know who they have (or not in some cases), what they need and who they expect to field. Surprises? From the players coming in…

I think another telling sign is that Kill himself was predicting 10 or more lost underclassmen (grades/transfers), and as it looks we'll have three (Pride, Singleton, Bouie). The GPA goes up .83 points (wow!). Stability in the staff, stability of the roster, stability in the classroom. It also shows "buy in" by the returning players.

Results on the field will follow--how far it will take us will be a matter to be seen. It appears to me to be only an upward trend...

Honestly when was the last offseason all coaches were retained here?
04-05?

wisky-turmoil
iowee-turmoil
OSU-turmoil
PSU-turmoil

Guess it's a good time to be a gopher fan;)

doing the little things right everyday both on and off the field will eventually lead to success and maybe even some Roses.

The team GPA went up .83 points?

Wow. While I'd rather have wins on the field, to make that gain in a 100+ player team's average is nothing short of remarkable. The only negative is it probably means the GPA was incredibly low to start...

The team GPA went up .83 points?

Wow. While I'd rather have wins on the field, to make that gain in a 100+ player team's average is nothing short of remarkable. The only negative is it probably means the GPA was incredibly low to start...
2.18 to 3.01

If you don't have to spend so much time worrying about the players grades, that frees up a lot more time.

Coach Kill simply says...."If ya can't make the grades, ya can't make the grade."

More power to that philosophy.

Haugy#33 says it the right way.

I think the retention rate will be higher when kids see the drastic change in academic support from Kill and his extended staff.

I think another telling sign is that Kill himself was predicting 10 or more lost underclassmen (grades/transfers), and as it looks we'll have three (Pride, Singleton, Bouie). The GPA goes up .83 points (wow!). Stability in the staff, stability of the roster, stability in the classroom. It also shows "buy in" by the returning players.

Results on the field will follow--how far it will take us will be a matter to be seen. It appears to me to be only an upward trend...

Don't be shocked if that numer jumps up a little bit.

I don't think OSU, Wisco, and Iowa is in turmoil right now there just going through changes any other major college football program goes through. Especially OSU...

However, these next couple of years Penn St. will have some troubles...

"Baby Steps"

I don't think OSU, Wisco, and Iowa is in turmoil right now there just going through changes any other major college football program goes through. Especially OSU...

However, these next couple of years Penn St. will have some troubles...

"Baby Steps"

I thought the same thing. Penn St. is in turmoil, but the rest of them are still in pretty good shape.

Top Bottom