St. Cloud Times: 92-year-old former Gopher football captain reflects on past

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the St. Cloud Times:

The St. Cloud resident is believed to be the oldest living former University of Minnesota football captain. The former quarterback was the lone captain on the 1946 squad and also a member of the 1941 national championship team.

“I made the last touchdown of the year,” said Sandberg, who was the Gophers’ third-string quarterback in ’41 when the Gophers won their sixth national title and second in a row. “I made the travel squad all season.”

Sandberg, who played in the Canadian Football League for four seasons, definitely will be the oldest former Gopher captain attending the Jerry Kill banquet Monday at the 400 Club on Pleasant Lake.

Kill is the featured speaker for the banquet/fundraiser, with proceeds benefiting the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation.

Sandberg is in a hospice program and had a request to see Kill, the Gophers’ head coach, speak, said Bobbie Hentges, Sandberg’s daughter. Kill has epilepsy.

“I thought he did a very good job,” Sandberg said of Kill. “He’s certainly different than all the coaches I know.”

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...opher-football-captain-reflects-past/8677167/

Go Gophers!!

Met Bob Sandberg at the “Passing the Torch” ceremony three years ago. At the time, he was a pretty spry 89-year old. Great guy.

Top Bottom