Spring practice in Div III?

denguegopher

Reaction score
My alma mater, Luther College, just hired a new football coach. I saw an interview and he was talking about getting 10 spring practices this year. I thought that spring practice was not allowed in D3, in any form. Is there an exception when new coaches are hired? The coach also mentioned getting his offensive and defensive systems "in." Alignments are mentioned below but would that include the assignments that players will have within the schemes? I noticed that the new coach spent some time on the sidelines of in Webb City, Missouri - a place where Jerry Kill has coached.

Staff shall not engage in athletically related activities outside the playing season per Bylaw 17.02.1.1.

Exception.
An institution is permitted to conduct conditioning and strength training sessions and
limited skill instruction during a consecutive five-week period outside the playing season. During this five-week
period, the institution may conduct athletically related activity on a maximum of 16 days with not more than
four days of athletically related activity in any one week. Any athletically related activity (per Bylaw 17.02.1.1)
shall constitute the use of a day. Skill instruction during this period shall be limited to passing, catching and
kicking-related drills. Such instruction may include offensive and defensive alignments, but may not involve
contact. Except for footballs, the use of helmets, pads, blocking sleds or any other form of sport-related equip
ment is prohibited. No missed class time is permitted for these sessions and the institution shall conclude all ath
letically related activities by the first date of final examinations for the regular academic year.

It is allowed. The MIAC used to not allow it, but they have recently. They can't wear any pads/helmets and is kind of a joke -mostly 7-on-7 type drills.

Simple solution: A T and Th 2 hours per day class of flag football in the spring.

It's a terrible idea to allow for practice but not allow them to wear helmets and pads. In the minds of the NCAA it seems like a safer alternative, but those guys are competitors. I'm sure they deal with a lot of collision injuries in spring ball practices in the MIAC.

Top Bottom