Spring Game Focus

DL65

Reaction score
What specific areas of this year's Gopher team are you going to focus on during the spring game? And what area(s) do you expect to see decided improvement?

I'm not able to attend this year's spring game because of a community project that I'm heading up. So I'd like to see your comments via before and post game reports.

Thanks in advance.

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to try to bring a three year old to the game, so we'll be focusing on Goldy. :D

Seriously, I always have a hard time evaluating things at the Spring game. Did I see good offense, or bad defense? Good defense or bad offense? I just plan on having fun.

There are some things, holding onto the ball, good catches and good throws, blocking, etc.

What specific areas of this year's Gopher team are you going to focus on during the spring game? what area(s) do you expect to see decided improvement?
QB: Gray, Weber = both should be improved and far more comfortable with the simplified offense. Weber has experience, and Gray is no longer the newbie. The QB's should be much better and much more dynamic. Having said that, if neither steps it up -- I'll be hoping to see Alipate take some snaps.

OL: Though I believe they improved (albeit ever so slightly) each game last year, they should be much more sound this time around. Protection was the big improvement, but the run-game blocking is key.

Run-game: As stated above, it's vastly OL needs, but with Bennett having concussion issues, I'm interested in seeing how the RB's shake down. Are they improved enough to help make up for the OL, or just average backs that aren't going to be game-changers (enter the freshman come fall)?

Defense: Lot of young guys. Lot of inexperienced guys. Lot of talent. I expect some mistakes, but I also have a feeling the defense could be a pleasant surprise.

RodentRampage--I totally understand. I used to take notes on every play back when the spring game was outside Rod Wallace field--for reporting back in articles on GopherHole, as a matter of fact! Now I am lucky if I can keep one of my kids interested long enough to stay for a whole game. Last spring I left them home altogether and joined up with Gopher Lady, BleedGopher, Norman Dale, and a few others pregame in St. Paul. The two oldest kids enjoyed going to the summer scrimmage at the new stadium, but we'll see what this year brings. Anyway, maybe in another 15 years or so you (and I) will be able to go to games again the way we used to! :) -Joe

Top Bottom