Spring Depth Chart

No such thing. Kill would never reveal or even leak one. This is spring practice, and 20 of your players are not here yet. Wait 'til fall.

No such thing. Kill would never reveal or even leak one. This is spring practice, and 20 of your players are not here yet. Wait 'til fall.

I cannot wait for fall football. This Gopher football team will turn the corner this coming season! Mark my words fellow Gopher Holers! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

From what I saw today on offense:

QB: Nelson
RB: Kirkwood/Williams
WR: Engel/Fruechte/DCT
C: Christenson
LG: Bak
LT: Lenkiewicz (E. Olson was riding a bike)
RG: Epping
RT: Campion
TE: Goodger

And Defense:

D-Line: Amaefula, Hageman, Botticelli, Perry
LBs: Lynn, Hill, Manuel
CBs: Wells, Shabazz, Murray
S: Thompson, Vereen

A few observations:

1. Hageman is a beast. Could be our best D-lineman since???
2. Nelson looked pretty sharp. Threw the ball well, but more impressively, seemed to have a good command of what was going on and made quick decisions.
3. Every running back got a lot of reps.
4. Cedric Thompson is huge! Looks big enough to be an outside LB. Wells has also gained a lot of muscle. For those concerned about how we're going to replace T Stoud and Carter, don't. The secondary will be good again this year.
5. LB group needs some help. Look for 1-2 freshman to play.
6. D-line looks solid and has some depth. Hendrick Ekpe doesn't look like a freshman. I've always liked Amaefula and he was impressive, could have a break-out season.

A few observations:

2. Nelson looked pretty sharp. Threw the ball well, but more impressively, seemed to have a good command of what was going on and made quick decisions.
4. Cedric Thompson is huge! Looks big enough to be an outside LB. Wells has also gained a lot of muscle. For those concerned about how we're going to replace T Stoud and Carter, don't. The secondary will be good again this year.
6. D-line looks solid and has some depth. Hendrick Ekpe doesn't look like a freshman. I've always liked Amaefula and he was impressive, could have a break-out season.

To add: No wonder the coaching staff raved about Harbison. He looks very polished and makes excellent cuts.

A few observations:

Bold Point #1: Good question. Have to go back a ways. I always find it hard to call VanDeSteeg a DL as he was pretty much a designated pass rusher. Same with Karon Riley. I'm thinking Schlect or Montgomery.

Bold Point #2: I like Claeys' scheme and he plays his front seven with a more "forward" attitude than we are used to seeing, which really helps the D-backs because of the increased pressure. After about three decades of passive, position-based defense, it's nice to see a DC with a more aggressive approach to things.

Top Bottom